Sponsored

Music on USB thumb-drive shows up all screwed up...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently extended the Sirius XM service for $5 a month. I only commute 15 mins to work so I wasn't going to pay much to keep it but it has been great on the 5-hour road trips I've taken to visit my parents. You can also play it on your computer and there's an app for your phone. I put a reminder in my phone to cancel before the price jumps to $15-17 dollars a month after the year ends.
I'm still on the fence about extending it. On the one hand, not scanning for stations on road trips is nice. On the other, the service kind of sucks. It loses signal a lot and the content seems a bit light.
Sponsored

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still on the fence about extending it. On the one hand, not scanning for stations on road trips is nice. On the other, the service kind of sucks. It loses signal a lot and the content seems a bit light.
I haven't had any coverage issues other than when I pull in my garage but I suppose it depends on your location. It has worked very well on long road trips in rural areas and not hearing the same songs over and over is a bonus. I think there are a lot of extra channels online and in the app but I've only been using it for a few weeks and haven't done a deep dive yet while using the radio in the Bronco. I stil have Spotify too but I figured $5 a month for more variety was worth it. If I had signal issues it would be a deal breaker though.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All I know is that I never listen to music on my phone. I don't want to get to where that battery shows 10% because I'm using it for music.....much easier to keep it separate.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Satellite radio in the PNW is the use case for why satellite radio is a fools errand. Oh sure, in Nevada it works great!

But in some areas all the trees haven't been cut down yet or the earth terraformed into a flat desert landscape. Direct line of sight data transfers are riddled with issues.

Anyway, on topic: Most OEM's still haven't changed their parts requirements from USB limitations of 32 gb. Unless you've uploaded the Fat32 codec to your average OEM vehicle, it either can't read the device or just guesses what's happening and will be in perma-think. My experience with Mazdas and the Ford Ranger (2019) led me to use flash drives with no more than 20 gb of storage space and the vehicle could access it fairly quickly.

Downloading content onto your phone and playing through that via Bluetooth or cable is another great way of ensuring you have content even when you don't have network connectivity. (airplane mode helps save battery)

Sponsored

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

the issue not be all related to the file names or directory structure, it might be the ID3 tags on the files.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I too don’t care to stream. I have a large music collection with bootlegs and all kinds of things not usually on streaming services. I actually use a 160 gb iPod to play music in my Jeep. It does fine thru Bluetooth, but would never load all the music just plugged into a USB.
I’m curious if the Sync system will handle this or not. Anyone tried?

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Satellite radio in the PNW is the use case for why satellite radio is a fools errand. Oh sure, in Nevada it works great!

But in some areas all the trees haven't been cut down yet or the earth terraformed into a flat desert landscape. Direct line of sight data transfers are riddled with issues.

Anyway, on topic: Most OEM's still haven't changed their parts requirements from USB limitations of 32 gb. Unless you've uploaded the Fat32 codec to your average OEM vehicle, it either can't read the device or just guesses what's happening and will be in perma-think. My experience with Mazdas and the Ford Ranger (2019) led me to use flash drives with no more than 20 gb of storage space and the vehicle could access it fairly quickly.

Downloading content onto your phone and playing through that via Bluetooth or cable is another great way of ensuring you have content even when you don't have network connectivity. (airplane mode helps save battery)
Funny thing- my 4Runner would play everything on my 160 gig iPod without issue but my Jeep won’t. Toyota is the worst when it comes to interior tech but it would play it fine!

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol. Excellent. I have to drive about 7 miles towards town. Sometimes 3 miles up to the top of the corkscrew and I may or may not get a signal.

Can't wait for Starlink.
Starlink 🤣

Been almost 2 years since I placed a deposit, just as bad as Bronco Roulette!

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My only piece of advice is to immediately delete all the Phish songs. 😁

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ser Arthur Dayne

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I recently extended the Sirius XM service for $5 a month. I only commute 15 mins to work so I wasn't going to pay much to keep it but it has been great on the 5-hour road trips I've taken to visit my parents. You can also play it on your computer and there's an app for your phone. I put a reminder in my phone to cancel before the price jumps to $15-17 dollars a month after the year ends.
I have been doing satellite radio since I bought my first-ever new car in 2005 ... I still do, it's fun to jam out in the car ... Back in the day, XM Radio was way better than Sirius ... Sirius was all about Stern (which I just don't mess with) and talk-radio , XM had WAY BETTER music stations. Always wait to re-subscribe because it goes down to $5 if you cancel after a year and wait a few months to get the $5 offer.

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the issue not be all related to the file names or directory structure, it might be the ID3 tags on the files.
ID3 tags aren't an issue when you can browse a well ordered folder structure. I've had problems in the past where "Eagles" and "The Eagles" are treated as two separate bands according to ID3 tags, but they are in the same folder. Same with artist collaborations, "Queen" and "Queen with David Bowie" become separate artists even though they are on the same album.

largo88

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra, 2015 Highlander, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just dropped a nearly full 512gb stick (digitized complete CD catalog using Exact Audio Copy - why stream when I already own it?) into my Bronco and it doesn't seem too happy with it. If I try to use the browse function it tells me I can't do it until the indexing is done - it seems to be stuck at ~47,400 files. Anyone know the maximum number of files it will index? I didn't do a count to see how many files I put on the stick. I haven't driven around for a long time while it is indexing (10-15 minutes max) so maybe I just need to plan a trip and let it go.

I did find a item in the menu system somewhere (I asked the interwebs but it didn't give me how to navigate to it - link to Ford content) that will let you reset the usb device's index - so if the index is messed up you might try searching for that in the menus/submenus and delete/reset that device's index.

Based on the ability to reset a given usb device's index I'm guessing it keeps an index for a given device on record on the head unit .

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
8GB I-Touch on my Sync 1 Escape would say "index full - some songs may not be available" from time to time.

16GB I-Touch on my Sync 3 Explorer has had no issues. I should throw in one of my 32 or 64GB units to see what happens, but my feeling is the larger it is the more indexing, and 32GB is most lilkely the limit for USB hook-ups. So thankfuly, no room for Rick Astley in the car.

Having said that, I am older, and also don't like to use streaming or my phone for music when away from home. Boom boxes, boats, cars, are all I-Touch which has worked very well. Lossless at home and AAC256 on the go.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't even know this was a thing. Just used car play. So do you just put a USB stick with MP3's into the USB port that's down by the wireless charging? How do you do it?
Sponsored