Sponsored

Music on USB thumb-drive shows up all screwed up...

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems easier these days if you just Bluetooth Spotify from your phone with whatever playlist you want . . . endless jukebox of favorite songs organized the way you want.
No internet at home, too rural, I use my phone to work from home, not going to waste data on music. Unlimited plan but throttles after a certain point.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ser Arthur Dayne

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No internet at home, too rural, I use my phone to work from home, not going to waste data on music. Unlimited plan but throttles after a certain point.
Exact same. When the genius family member bought the land in the woods we have since built a house on, he never considered internet. We got cable-modem-based-high-speed-broadband internet some time during my first year of college, 1999-2000. So I left for school in Aug '99 with a 56K dialup, came back to broadband, and had it until moving to FL in '14, but where I rented while building, it had the exact same Comcast service, literally exact same. Except where the land was, nothing but 6mbps DSL. No other option unless you want to go down the Satellite road, which is much more expensive, and while it looks like it's faster, the latency and connectivity issues make it suck.

And I see everyone talking about how I should be streaming- while I get the point that the Bronco doesn't have a hard drive apparently (why it doesn't is beyond me...Actually pretty ridiculous... so it has a full-time 4G modem connection but it doesn't have a hard drive? Someone should be fired, or at least demoted...) - but using the Jeep for example, why on earth would I want to stream, wasting battery life and exposing connection signals to the outside world, when you can spend a few minutes putting your stuff permanently on a disc drive, and then have everything physically available at the bush of a button? That's... way better than streaming, whether anyone likes it or not.

I can live with putting the thumb-drive in the Bronco every time as long as it's going to "index" properly. The formatting is the key for me. Having a random list of songs is not going to cut the mustard.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here's a compromise for you. If you're using android auto, get either the Auri Music or Musicolet app. They organize your music library on your phone so it can be played through AA.
Yes, you have to use your phone storage - but that's what micro sd cards are for.
And you don't have to bluetooth, just plug into the usb port thus saving your battery.

If your on carplay, your library should be in itunes anyway, so same concept.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's a compromise for you. If you're using android auto, get either the Auri Music or Musicolet app. They organize your music library on your phone so it can be played through AA.
Yes, you have to use your phone storage - but that's what micro sd cards are for.
And you don't have to bluetooth, just plug into the usb port thus saving your battery.

If your on carplay, your library should be in itunes anyway, so same concept.
I obviously haven't tried it in my yet to be delivered Bronco but a thumb drive with all my music, some 650 songs, plugged into the USB port of every Ford I have owned post 2013 works fine.
I noticed in the Demo Bronco I sat in it also has a USB source for music.
As mentioned above it's probably the format you have used.
My library is in itunes.

Badlux

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler , CJ-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s 2022 stream it brother
Streaming in 320 kbps is great, most cant differentiate with lossless. I think its more of feeling the difference in dynamic range than the overall sound quality. A lot of people I know listen to music that is not mainstream or Live stuff that is not available to stream. Even still , you can load up a phone and play that way.

Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seems easier these days if you just Bluetooth Spotify from your phone with whatever playlist you want . . . endless jukebox of favorite songs organized the way you want.
It’s 2022 stream it brother
This just isn't the best option for all people. Personally, I HATE the monthly subscription model that seemingly every company tries to force everyone into. They love the auto-tap they have into everyones bank accounts.

For music, I still purchase the music I want to consume. I want to store it locally on a hard drive and back up to an external. Then load to my mobile device for consumption. I don't like relying on the cellular network to provide a suitable connection (or feel trapped into paying for an unlimited cell phone plan) and I don't like the option that companies have to remove content I have purchased when the cancel culture mob goes after any given artist/film maker/producer, etc... for whatever the outrage flavor of the day is.

All I'm saying is Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon etc services are not for everyone.

OP, I gave up on using USB sticks for music in vehicles after GM's CUE system. It was a mess, wouldn't support large thumb drives and also took forever to index. I think it also had to reindex regularly. Like the CD player, I have a feeling music from USB feature will be gone within a few years. With Apple CarPlay and AA or even Bluetooth, we have a good solution to playback what media we own.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pshaw! In my day the eight track would switch to the next tape channel mid song. “ Take it to the limit, take it to the limit….click ( five second delay) click, ….one more time”.

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm with you on using folders, and music that doesn't require a subscription and unlimited internet plan. Pluss, we hear constantly on this forum how the Bronco is an off road vehicle and you shouldn't expect good mpg, you shouldn't expect... I don't know about you, but a lot of places where I would actually use the off road capability don't exactly have a good cell service.

No Bronco yet, but I do use AA with the PowerAmp music player. PowerAmp lets you browse by folder hierarchy, and set to continue onto the next folder in the list when it reaches the end of the one playing.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And I see everyone talking about how I should be streaming- while I get the point that the Bronco doesn't have a hard drive apparently (why it doesn't is beyond me...Actually pretty ridiculous... so it has a full-time 4G modem connection but it doesn't have a hard drive? Someone should be fired, or at least demoted...)
I had a 2012 SRT8 with a hard drive, it was awesome. Bought a new one in 2016 and they removed the option, bad move, it was a great feature.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you might be onto something here and I thank you for it. In the Jeep for example, it only took half of my thumb drive on the hard-drive. (A random half, bits and pieces, here and there) ...I bought a 64GB thumb drive when I decided to put the music on it, because that was the best deal available on Amazon probably. The problem was, 32GB was the biggest commonly available when I got my Jeep, and it has what I believe to be a 32GB HDD in it. So it doesn't understand a 64GB drive. I only have ~7+GB music, I may try a smaller drive and see how that works.

Thank you very much, that is very helpful info, as I said above I may try a smaller drive and give it a while. Thank you again.
I have a 64GB USB, it took 30 or 45 min to index. It all seems to be available. /edit/ There is about 55 GB on there, so I have not checked everything, but I have played a couple of playlists and if there is a problem, it is not systematic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also, Poweramp music player works in Android Auto.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No wonder they say people can't go more than 12 minutes without using their phone. Seems like that's an answer to everything...just use your phone.

For me personally, I don't want to use my phone for driving. I want my phone to be able to use my phone. Now whether it's a small USB or an internal hard drive, I don't mind. But I like driving around and having my vehicle play my music or give me directions while my phone is not required.

I also was impressed with how the Jeep loads things to the hard drive. The one thing I wish they would have done, would be to allow me to delete a song directly from the playlist instead of having to go into the HDD management. Never really thought about how the Bronco deals with music, cuz I guess I just have to learn a deal.

But I will say I've seen some systems that just use file names, wipe other systems use the MP 3 datatags...so you may have to play with those to get things to display correctly.

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you listen to at least one new album a month? If so, streaming is way more cost effective, assuming you're paying to download music. If you don't want to worry about active signal to stream all the time, most if not all streaming providers let you cache/save music to your phone. I have thousands of songs saved on my phone from streaming providers. And clearly you have internet as you're on this forum. Battery life isn't a problem either if you just plug your phone in while while driving, this will recover lost battery life and give you the ability to use Android Auto/CarPlay which I promise is significantly nicer then any other system you're used to using. Just a thought

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently extended the Sirius XM service for $5 a month. I only commute 15 mins to work so I wasn't going to pay much to keep it but it has been great on the 5-hour road trips I've taken to visit my parents. You can also play it on your computer and there's an app for your phone. I put a reminder in my phone to cancel before the price jumps to $15-17 dollars a month after the year ends.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I definitely miss being able to load songs up. Not that the 32GB of storage in the Sync 4 system would hold much but still would be nice if they partitioned it so you could use some. I have been toying with the idea of taking an old iPhone and dedicating it to be used for offline listening needs. Plenty of times I’ve been out in the middle of nowhere and could have used that. Definitely might just be unique to me but I’ve always insisted on having every avenue available for entertainment. When CD players were still in cars I’d have CD’s at the ready, Sirius, and an iPod in moments when streaming wasn’t cutting it.

Also it’s funny how licensing is affecting streaming. I’ve had many “this song is no longer available” moments while trying to listen to music. Ironically the stuff was downloaded but I still couldn’t play it. DRM is a pain in the taint
Sponsored