Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the radio and the cable last year before they were banned. Kinda wish I had another to set up as a repeater. I saw someone here in Houston set one up as a repeater to listen in on the ISS when it flew over last month.
Where are they banned?? You can still find plenty of them on Amazon.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I loved the old days, I ran a MARS station in Germany (DA1YM) for several years, making phone patch calls for soldiers. Trouble was propagation limits made the calls best in the middle of the night, so many calls made after too many German beers :). This was before packet switching or 10mtr repeaters so all HF. All computers now, not a Swan 350 to be seen.

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I love my old citizens band, most of the guys I’m wheeling with are all running GMRS now. Cross communication with HAM and FRS (walkie talkie). $70 for a 10 year license, covers your whole family and just pay & play, no test.
My buddies and I just made the jump to gmrs. Haven’t wheeled with them yet just some testing here in the city of Atlanta. We all bought the midland 15 watt and at a range of 5 miles with skyscrapers all around me in Buckhead we could talk. I have no doubt the trails will be no problem.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
From memory, Aluminim will not act as a ground plane either. At a minimum you need to ground the mount. Worse case, run it to whatever grounding post is available, but that could be inconvenient from the potential mounting spot.
Aluminum makes a fine ground plane.. Biggest issue is that you can't mount an antenna to the roof. It will be interesting to see if there is a way to do front fender mount... Or more than likely someone will come up with a rear tire carrier mount.

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aluminum makes a fine ground plane.. Biggest issue is that you can't mount an antenna to the roof. It will be interesting to see if there is a way to do front fender mount... Or more than likely someone will come up with a rear tire carrier mount.
I'm going to see if i can mount whips to the mirrors like my old Bronco had. If not then I hope you're right?.

Sponsored

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FRS and GMRS 2-way radios all the way.

I will never buy another CB piece of equipment.

Even Jeep Jamboree no longer is running CB -they have transitioned to FRS/GMRS.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm going to see if i can mount whips to the mirrors like my old Bronco had. If not then I hope you're right?.
Likely plastic housing/mount... Difficult to mount to and no ground plane..

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Likely plastic housing/mount... Difficult to mount to and no ground plane..
It is very plastic. I'm scared for the mirrors let alone whips which is kinda the joke. Best place would be just in front of the mirror arms on the body if you want it in the front or on the back somewhere. I think the rear bumper is plastic, too.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I was thinking back in the day how we couldn’t find a way to ground to aluminum (connect the coax shield) and how magnet mounts wouldn’t work. Also a problem with galvanic corrosion if/when you do. It’s been about 30 years since I worked in that field (family business when Inwas a kid).

stedydrizl

Outer Banks
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got to agree with handhelds, the BAOFENG are pretty good bang for buck. Antennas are tough on Aluminum and plastic, my Sirius went down hill when I bought Aluminum F150.
But in the end, the CB would still be more stable than Fords SYNC system :(

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, most GP antennas are Aluminum, options for the Bronco will be base loaded or dual band cowl mount (in place of the Am/FM that is never used), a spare tire mount, a magnetic base load for the roll bar (if a suitable spot is available), or a 1/2 wave whip mounted to a rear 1/4 panel (best performance, and my option)
(Nightwalker, N5CRK, DA1YM (retired))

AZbronco1

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I work a 3 letter agency helping with their LMR (Land Mobile Radio) on boats/aircraft/cars. I can see the government buying some Broncos in the future so I’ll probably be starting a project with a company like “Sti-co” (located in NY state) to develop a covert tri-band antenna(VHF, UHF, 7/800). Most likely will just replace the factory antenna. Should work great with ham and FRS radios. Other antenna options will be numerous since the Bronco is metal.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I work a 3 letter agency helping with their LMR (Land Mobile Radio) on boats/aircraft/cars. I can see the government buying some Broncos in the future so I’ll probably be starting a project with a company like “Sti-co” (located in NY state) to develop a covert tri-band antenna(VHF, UHF, 7/800). Most likely will just replace the factory antenna. Should work great with ham and FRS radios. Other antenna options will be numerous since the Bronco is metal.
Except those vehicle specific antennas from Sti-co are stupid expensive $500+ each-- Aok when the .gov is paying. But not for the Everyman... reality is most of us are worrying about CB or 2M/440/dmr and there are plenty of good options short to talk with a variety of mounts for less than $150.

Heck a super flex 1/4 wave from Sti-co us under $50

AZbronco1

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Except those vehicle specific antennas from Sti-co are stupid expensive $500+ each-- Aok when the .gov is paying. But not for the Everyman... reality is most of us are worrying about CB or 2M/440/dmr and there are plenty of good options short to talk with a variety of mounts for less than $150.

Heck a super flex 1/4 wave from Sti-co us under $50
Obviously comms for my work purposes are considered critical items so quality and performance matter to me.
I’m still debating what radio I’ll be putting in my Bronco. Definitely will not be a CB.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pics of the Badlands that ran the Baja NORRA race were posted today under that thread and show two antennae - one on mirror mount and one appears to be on the attachment point for roof mounted light bar......one by mirror may just be the OEM AM/FM
Sponsored

Last edited: