First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GMRS is worth it. Bouncing off of local towers. No line of sight needed on the trails. License is about $35 for 10 years.
Sponsored

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I printed out all the Georgia tower frequencies...some are free....some are not....guess owned by clubs. Went online after getting my license. Met up with others and learned how to program the closest free towers in N Ga which is where I ride the most. Have them locked in on different channels. Have my Midland Mobile, and two Midland handhelds for when I am out the vehicle and spotting for or being spotted for by others. The instructions that come with the radios tell you how to program them in.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can check the link below to find where repeaters are....or are not.
During our Colorado trip we found 1 GMRS repeater we could hit. Out on the trail we could not hit any. There were other drivers using channel 16 and talking directly vehicle to vehicle.
https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/index.php?state_id=none

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got this guy. I found a deal: 2 radios plus accessories, for $52 on Amazon.
61y+Zj3OqWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Is this repeater capable? or is that not needed for my purpose? I did not see that in the description.

Sponsored

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Some repeaters use offset (2 different) frequencies, one for incoming talk then one for out going. Many just use a tone to open or alert the repeater that you are trying to talk through it. Without the tone it won't hear you. So yes, you do need a repeater capable radio to use a repeater. The link below as well as others list radios that are repeater capable. Lists get out of date quickly as the GMRS radio world is growing quickly.
https://tucsongmrs.org/index.php/gmrs/list-of-repeater-capable-gmrs-radio/

The Repeater Book will list the frequencies for the various repeaters.
EDIT: some of the low power FRS frequencies are also shared with repeater frequencies. Since every other person has an FRS radio the repeaters could get tied up very quickly. To keep this from happening they went to PL tones and some went to off set frequencies to limit the number of people who could open up the repeater. Not all GMRS radios can send a PL Tone or do offset frequencies.

Last edited:

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some repeaters use offset (2 different) frequencies, one for incoming talk then one for out going. Many just use a tone to open or alert the repeater that you are trying to talk through it. Without the tone it won't hear you. So yes, you do need a repeater capable radio to use a repeater. The link below as well as others list radios that are repeater capable. Lists get out of date quickly as the GMRS radio world is growing quickly.
https://tucsongmrs.org/index.php/gmrs/list-of-repeater-capable-gmrs-radio/

The Repeater Book will list the frequencies for the various repeaters.
EDIT: some of the low power FRS frequencies are also shared with repeater frequencies. Since every other person has an FRS radio the repeaters could get tied up very quickly. To keep this from happening they went to PL tones and some went to off set frequencies to limit the number of people who could open up the repeater. Not all GMRS radios can send a PL Tone or do offset frequencies.
Anyone have any experience with
BTECH GMRS-V2

https://baofengtech.com/product/gmrs-v2/

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is this repeater capable? or is that not needed for my purpose? I did not see that in the description.
I will say that I'm 98% sure it is repeatable capable.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In looking at the handheld options I'm leaning towards the Motorola T605. From what I can tell it's GMRS/FRS compatible. Plus it has a flashlight. :cool:
Sponsored