Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

None!

I would get the midland mxt275 or mxt575 and remote mount the thing in a discrete location behind an interior model panel with a plug extension for the handset.

Not me but here's a video,
I was rummaging through the forum posts on installing these and it seems to be pretty simple of an install too! I just don't know if it is overkill for my needs as I would only ever need to talk to the vehicles 100 feet or less from me. These GMRS radios shine more when using long distances don't they?
Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has new info on what handhelds are good
I already have the mxt275 remote mounted in my current vehicle and the range is excellent, many times better than a handheld but still get a cheap handheld for your spotter!

Here's a pic of a guys remote plug set up in his toyota,
Ford Bronco Walkie Talkie Thread 1659332768403

Last edited:

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was rummaging through the forum posts on installing these and it seems to be pretty simple of an install too! I just don't know if it is overkill for my needs as I would only ever need to talk to the vehicles 100 feet or less from me. These GMRS radios shine more when using long distances don't they?
Start with a handheld and save up for the mxt275, it's worth it if you ever travel with another vehicle.

The range is miles!

With the remote install you can keep the hand set unplugged and in the glove box. Plug it in only when you're using it. The "box" could be hidden behind a body panel out of site and not taking up any interior space!

I'm guessing that I still have 2-3 months wait before I get my bronco but this will be one of my first projects for it.

As far as I know no one has posted a video or topic here of a super clean and discreet install but that's my plan and I'm a geek, mine will be as good as a factory install like it's supposed to be there!

Last edited:

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Start with a handheld and save up for the mxt275, it's worth it if you ever travel with another vehicle.

The range is miles!

With the remote install you can keep the hand set unplugged and in the glove box. Plug it in only when you're using it. The "box" could be hidden behind a body panel out of site and not taking up any interior space!

I'm guessing that I still have 2-3 months wait before I get my bronco but this will be one of my first projects for it.

As far as I know no one has posted a video or topic here of a super clean and discreet install but that's my plan and I'm a geek, mine will be as good as a factory install like it's supposed to be there!
Yes the hidden install is the way to go because if not I'd be afraid of someone stealing it when doors are off.

Here is a link to a discreet install someone did on bronco like that Toyota.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/super-clean-gmrs-radio-install.42659/

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes the hidden install is the way to go because if not I'd be afraid of someone stealing it when doors are off.

Here is a link to a discreet install someone did on bronco like that Toyota.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/super-clean-gmrs-radio-install.42659/
I saw that but I think it can be better!

This is a snip if his plug, same as what I used in my current vehicle but its not for automobiles, it's a data plug for offices. It's definitely a clean install and much nicer than the others I've read seen for jeeps and bronco's but not as clean as the toyota and mitsubishi boys but they have the correct switch inserts made for them.
Ford Bronco Walkie Talkie Thread 1659372388622

Switch plate/RJ45 plug made for toyota,
Ford Bronco Walkie Talkie Thread 1659372773241

Another one,
Ford Bronco Walkie Talkie Thread 1659372928291

And another one,
Ford Bronco Walkie Talkie Thread 1659373079189

I have a couple of them in my parts box but won't know which one to get and use until after I get my bronco. The placement is important too!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw that but I think it can be better!

This is a snip if his plug, same as what I used in my current vehicle but its not for automobiles, it's a data plug for offices. It's definitely a clean install and much nicer than the others I've read seen for jeeps and bronco's but not as clean as the toyota and mitsubishi boys but they have the correct switch inserts made for them.

Switch plate/RJ45 plug made for toyota,

Another one,

And another one,

I have a couple of them in my parts box but won't know which one to get and use until after I get my bronco. The placement is important too!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!
You need to hurry up and get your bronco! Lol I see what you mean about the plug. The ones you linked do look clean. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with your install. Hopefully by then I'll have an idea on what I want to do with the install

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

as for logging roads in bc there are Road Resource channels in use today there a group of 40 ch used in BC any radio using these must be licanced @$40 per radio per year.
any frequency out there is not just grab and run you must have authorization to use, in any given area
MURS is Alberta, LADDIs BC only, GMRS us only not for use in Canada . Please check your local rules and regulations so you do not wind up in trouble or having the radio sized .

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Also there are many regulations for radios and there use
uSA must have FCC Id clearly marked on the radio
Canada is IC required found near the serial number under the battery,and they can not be programmable except for
ham radios on ham frequencies.

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems like most of the handheld radios are FRS (22 channels) instead of GMRS (30 channels). Do you need the GRMS spectrum or do people stick to the overlap?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bad Andy

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 335I Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The main advantage to GMRS over FRS, is higher transmit power, and the ability to use repeater frequencies. FRS is limited to .5 watt transmit power. most GMRS radios can output at up to 5 watts in a hand held, or 50 watts in a mobile (vehicle mounted) unit.

If you just want to communicate a short distance say under a quarter mile, FRS will be ok.

I got my GMRS license and bought 2 decent hand held radios from Wouxan (pronounced “ocean”). I simple model that I could loan to a friend in another car, and one more complex model that can receive many different frequencies (but only transmit on GMRS).

You technically must have a GMRS license to transmit with a GMRS radio. There is no test, just a very complicated FCC website to go through. Was $70 for 10 years when I did it, but I hear it has dropped to $35 for 10 years now. A license is good for a family, so all family members can share the same license and call sign.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for radio geeks… Why not a handheld marine VHF set? Asking because I’ve got a couple in my boat and they’re really nice radios.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The main advantage to GMRS over FRS, is higher transmit power, and the ability to use repeater frequencies. FRS is limited to .5 watt transmit power. most GMRS radios can output at up to 5 watts in a hand held, or 50 watts in a mobile (vehicle mounted) unit.

If you just want to communicate a short distance say under a quarter mile, FRS will be ok.

I got my GMRS license and bought 2 decent hand held radios from Wouxan (pronounced “ocean”). I simple model that I could loan to a friend in another car, and one more complex model that can receive many different frequencies (but only transmit on GMRS).

You technically must have a GMRS license to transmit with a GMRS radio. There is no test, just a very complicated FCC website to go through. Was $70 for 10 years when I did it, but I hear it has dropped to $35 for 10 years now. A license is good for a family, so all family members can share the same license and call sign.
I was digging through that process and now it has me leaning towards just doing FRS as I do not like that they publish all the personal information about you and the license online for anyone to have.

jannie123

Big Bend
First Name
Jannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota v8
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Question for radio geeks… Why not a handheld marine VHF set? Asking because I’ve got a couple in my boat and they’re really nice radios.
Yeah, you are right,
my 4' glass or steel whip will look fine. If you get a VHF with built-in GPS you'll have an excellent, self-contained package for DSC distress calling.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Asking for a friend, why would you pay $35 to the .gov for a permission slip to use a walkie talkie in the woods?

Is there a big risk of getting pulled over by a forest ranger demanding to see your credentials? Do you have to carry around a piece of paper? If it's a family plan does your 10 Y/O have to carry the permission slip around as well?

I bought my radio's in 2012 and literally had NO idea you needed any sort of permission slip from the government to use them until reading this thread.

It seems as though they've figured out a way to get $35 from the populace, at least the good news is it's down from $75. I can honestly say I've not seen too many instances of the government actually lowering a tax.

There's no test so it's not about training, it's good for the whole family so I'm assuming your children can use it, but yet it's only good for 10 years, wonder why not a lifetime?

I tried to figure out the FCC website and I'm not even sure after looking around there for a few minutes how you would actually pay them anyway.
Sponsored