Sponsored

Water Crossing transmission choice.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13702
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 13702

I know this is a subjective question, but any insight to transmission choice when water crossing? I know the Bronco can ford up to 33" of water. I have been told manuals handle water better as long as you don't shift while crossing. My past experience was with a 2001 Ram Off-road edition; where while crossing approx 22"s of water the transmission failed due to water getting ingested in the breather for the transmission(dumb design from dodge since they put the breather valve on the bottom of the transmission). Has anyone heard if ford has the breather routed higher. I don't cross water often since my experience with the dodge, but I would like to be able to tackle any trail and most of the off-roading around me has large water tracks and small streams to ford. Thanks in advance for the input. Also, I am aware that larger tires and a lift will let me ford greater depths, but for now only reference squatched Bronco.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The type of transmission really doesn't matter for water crossings. At least, not any more than other off-road situations.

Not getting water into the transmission or other sensitive parts is very important. If Ford has rated the Bronco at 33" the breather tubes for differentials/transmission and air intake must all be above that or properly fit with valves to keep the water out.

Addendum: My Xterras front differential had a breather routed up into the engine bay and attached to the stock airbox. The rear differential only had a little valve on the axle. It was a trivial task to replace it with a hose fitting and run a hose up behind the taillight to keep it above water.

But then again, the Xterra didn't really have a water crossing rating; the Bronco does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

The type of transmission really doesn't matter for water crossings. At least, not any more than other off-road situations.

Not getting water into the transmission or other sensitive parts is very important. If Ford has rated the Bronco at 33" the breather tubes for differentials/transmission and air intake must all be above that or properly fit with valves to keep the water out.
Well that's the hope, wasn't sure if anyone has some insight to how they routed it. But appreciate the feedback!

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well that's the hope, wasn't sure if anyone has some insight to how they routed it. But appreciate the feedback!
Even the people who have seen it in person haven't been able to climb in/through/underneath to inspect anything specific. There are a lot of things that won't be answered until people start taking delivery.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

Even the people who have seen it in person haven't been able to climb in/through/underneath to inspect anything specific. There are a lot of things that won't be answered until people start taking delivery.
Hoping to hook a incognito ford engineer ?. But I get your point.

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's rated for 33 inches of water thats really all I need to know. II don't care how they do it, I trust them that its done to back up the claimed 33 inches. If your trying to go deeper yet the transmission isn't the only thing you would have to modify. Both differentials would have to be modified as well and likely the air breather also. There is a point that trying to go deeper still will get you floating, and it's all over after that, you are no longer in control. Never done it but seen it done. Preventable and stupid. LOL

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't forget the electrical connection to the transmission. I fried one of those and it burned the shift solenoids, Big bucks to fix.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

If it's rated for 33 inches of water thats really all I need to know. II don't care how they do it, I trust them that its done to back up the claimed 33 inches. If your trying to go deeper yet the transmission isn't the only thing you would have to modify. Both differentials would have to be modified as well and likely the air breather also. There is a point that trying to go deeper still will get you floating, and it's all over after that, you are no longer in control. Never done it but seen it done. Preventable and stupid. LOL
I agree warranty should cover, but I didn't exceed dodge's water crossing height, and they didn't honor the warranty. Said that warranty only covered normal wear and tear and they didn't consider offroading as part of the "normal" use of the truck. I asked them why it had "off road" plastered across the rear quarter panels and that about ended the conversation. Anyway, made me a little suspicious of what's covered under the warranty.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as your automatic transmission has a proper vent tube routed to as high as possible there should be no issue.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you cross water regularly do not get an auto. A manual will function mostly normally even if its completely drowned(water inside case) and for the most part can simply be cleaned out a refilled with fluid. The sooner the better of course. So a jug of fluid on hand is good to have with you. However if even a tiny bit of water gets in your auto, and you drive it even a hubdred yards or so, you are looking at a plague of troubles and odd shifting if your lucky and a full rebuild if your not. Also the auto will fail if it injests enough water while you are in the water. A manual will continue to function at low speeds if all of the fluid is water.

Thats why I will not buy an auto if I ever have a choice. I currently drive 3 autos regularly and all but one a 90s jeep of all things have trans issues.

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

If you cross water regularly do not get an auto. A manual will function mostly normally even if its completely drowned(water inside case) and for the most part can simply be cleaned out a refilled with fluid. The sooner the better of course. So a jug of fluid on hand is good to have with you. However if even a tiny bit of water gets in your auto, and you drive it even a hubdred yards or so, you are looking at a plague of troubles and odd shifting if your lucky and a full rebuild if your not. Also the auto will fail if it injests enough water while you are in the water. A manual will continue to function at low speeds if all of the fluid is water.

Thats why I will not buy an auto if I ever have a choice. I currently drive 3 autos regularly and all but one a 90s jeep of all things have trans issues.
Appreciate the info, this is a huge factor for me between the Auto and Manual. Mostly don't want to get stranded again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That one is one where I don't trust them, as manufacturers sometimes overlook breathers and the fact that they will let water in. A previous truck I had was rated for 27", but had 3 low breathers that would have been a problem. One of my first mods was running lines and moving them up inside the engine compartment. If Ford hasn't taken care of that, then it needs to be done if you intend to cross much water, which I do sometimes. Once you do that, I see no downside to the auto for crossings, and relocating breathers is pretty cheap and easy.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is a point that trying to go deeper still will get you floating, and it's all over after that, you are no longer in control.
We lost a truck to this in the Canyonlands Maze district a few years ago.

Deep, fast moving water + hubris = PTSD and nightmares for a long time.

And I wasn't even the one in the water. It took my friend a long time to get back into wheeling after that.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After one of my runs through the Pine Barrens, I was pulling lily pads out of my tailights, I've never had an issue with the 10A trans.
Sponsored