Sponsored

How well sealed are transmission, differentials, CV, transfer case, etc from water?

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good Morning,

I live in Southern California and going into work early this morning, it was still dark, so I didn't see it, I hit a large puddle of water left by the recent storm. The vehicle certainly got a nice wash that's for damn sure. ;)
If anything, the front got the brunt. I wasn't going that fast.

Anyone know just how well sealed the 7 spd m/t, the front/rear differentials, CV's, and the transfer case are from water, when it comes to the breathers?

After work this afternoon, I intend to take a good spin on the highway in order to dry out everything, including the CV's and universals, just in case.

No leakage via my soft-top though that I can tell.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Post number ten has your answer. Straight from the owners manual.

I wouldn't worry about going for a long drive after going though water on the road, unless it was higher then the center of your tires for a long ways.

Water Fording

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not an expert at all so do your own research but from what I've read one of the biggest issues comes from temp change. If you dunk those things and they cool off they can pull in water. I'm not saying zero risk here but that's a lot of metal to fully cool off even with a big splash. Certainly do your investigation but I think this issue usually happens when they put their hot hot dif in a cold river for a minute or two crossing it.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Post number ten has your answer. Straight from the owners manual.

I wouldn't worry about going for a long drive after going though water on the road, unless it was higher then the center of your tires for a long ways.

Water Fording
Oops, I kinda broke that 4mph rule...by a lot! 😁 I'm pretty sure water didn't get anywhere near the alternator, as it seemed to go over the roof!💀
Ford Bronco How well sealed are transmission, differentials, CV, transfer case, etc from water? IMG_0813

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was always told that if you have any river or wash crossings with water that is above the diffs to drain your diffs and put new fluid in to be safe. Most people do not do this, but its a good idea.

Now in the city stuff where you have flooded streets I probably wouldn't worry about it unless your axles were under water for an extended period of time. This could go for the trans as well I suppose.

Water fording depths that are stated for the specs of the bronco only tell how deep you can go without vapor locking he engine.

Sponsored

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Id be more worried about the air box myself.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Water fording depths that are stated for the specs of the bronco only tell how deep you can go without vapor locking he engine.
pretty sure the heights spec'd for fording (which are slightly deeper for the everglades) are driven by the height of axle et al breather tubes

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
pretty sure the heights spec'd for fording (which are slightly deeper for the everglades) are driven by the height of axle et al breather tubes

So the top of the breather tube in just under 3 foot? I would think they would be giving you a fording depth that prevents water from being sucked in to your engine....who cares about the breather tube....you can drain the chocolate milk from you diff....not the engine so much.

Even if the water is below your breather tubes - water can still enter the axle tube, so its wise to look for chocolate milk.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the top of the breather tube in just under 3 foot? I would think they would be giving you a fording depth that prevents water from being sucked in to your engine....who cares about the breather tube....you can drain the chocolate milk from you diff....not the engine so much.
the fording depth is top of breather tube minus whatever safety margin ford is comfortable with. wouldn't be surprised if the safety margin is several inches to account for folks who 'send it'

Sponsored

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the fording depth is top of breather tube minus whatever safety margin ford is comfortable with. wouldn't be surprised if the safety margin is several inches to account for folks who 'send it'

I am gonna have to measure the breather tubes. I found it surprising the Everglades doesn't have much more than the Sasquatch - I get the Raptor because they come with 37 in tires.

Ford Bronco How well sealed are transmission, differentials, CV, transfer case, etc from water? 1692663605010

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off rodeo instructors said water up to hubs and at a slow speed. Not pushing water.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't someone just install like 5 feet of aquarium hose to solve the breather issues? #doubledigitbraincells

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Slow and steady wins the race!