Sponsored

Water Crossing transmission choice.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13702
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

We lost a truck to this in the Canyonlands Maze district a few years ago.

Deep, fast moving water + hubris = PTSD and nightmares for a long time.

And I wasn't even the one in the water. It took my friend a long time to get back into wheeling after that.
Sorry to hear that. I'm not planning on going in anything that extreme as far as moving water goes, however I have been in some deeper standing water when mudding which would be more of a concern. Hopefully your friend has some better luck down the road.

Pictures not me, but where I will be Off-roading predominantly.

H3.jpg
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry to hear that. I'm not planning on going in anything that extreme as far as moving water goes, however I have been in some deeper standing water when mudding which would be more of a concern. Hopefully your friend has some better luck down the road.

Pictures not me, but where I will be Off-roading predominantly.

Ford Bronco Water Crossing transmission choice. H3
It wasn't supposed to be anything. Normally not much more than a drainage ditch. But on our way out the night before it was raining. Not hard rain, but water travels in Utah. When we got there is was 3 feet deep and moving twice as fast as in the video. It was try to cross or turn around and drive all the way home. So we collectively talked ourselves into it. Our biggest concern prepping for it was stalling in the middle. Getting picked up and swept down river never even occurred to us.

I was in the lead and actually preparing to go across first util my friend volunteered.

Dirty Devil River - The Maze

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

It wasn't supposed to be anything. Normally not much more than a drainage ditch. But on our way out the night before it was raining. Not hard rain, but water travels in Utah. When we got there is was 3 feet deep and moving twice as fast as in the video. It was try to cross or turn around and drive all the way home. So we collectively talked ourselves into it. Our biggest concern prepping for it was stalling in the middle. Getting picked up and swept down river never even occurred to us.

I was in the lead and actually preparing to go across first util my friend volunteered.

Dirty Devil River - The Maze
Looks like a great place for wheeling. I used to live in Tucson AZ, so I know all to well how fast those small waterways can become flood waters when it actually rains. We all live and learn, for me usually the hard way.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very informative video. Thanks for sharing! I was all set on getting a manual Until I saw this. Lol
No problem. I've always been in the manual camp, but with the advancements in auto's and as I play the back nine, I'm fine with the auto in this truck as you have the ability to manually shift & lock into gears. You also get a lot of features not available with the manual such as trail turn assist & the 2.7 ;) .

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 13702

No problem. I've always been in the manual camp, but the the advancements in auto's and as play the back nine, I'm fine with the auto in this truck as you have the ability to manually shift & lock into gears. You also get a lot of features not available with the manual such as trail turn assist & the 2.7 ;) .
Everytime my wife sees me with my phone she automatically asks me if I'm researching Manual vs Automatic for the Bronco. I love manuals, but ford has made the automatic so full of features it's hard to pass up...and also the squatch package ?. Mostly in all my research the thing I have discovered is that my wife doesn't care what transmission I get, what colors look better with certain options, and that she has the audacity to call me obsessed.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always laugh at those videos saying autos are better offroad. Maybe for folks who never really learned how and what a manual is. All i know is everytime I have wheeled hardcore with people in autos, ispend half the day going back to check on em. Always overheating or cant get the right wheelspeed or pulse the throttle consistently. I cant think of any advantage except for the fact that ford didnt put the one wheel brake drag on the manual for some reason.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I always laugh at those videos saying autos are better offroad. Maybe for folks who never really learned how and what a manual is. All i know is everytime I have wheeled hardcore with people in autos, ispend half the day going back to check on em. Always overheating or cant get the right wheelspeed or pulse the throttle consistently. I cant think of any advantage except for the fact that ford didnt put the one wheel brake drag on the manual for some reason.
Well spoken! I was going to launch into a diatribe about a return to vacuum actuated transmissions and just raise the fill-tube to 5' above the axle.

One valid point though, on the MT there is the built in features of hill decent, rev control in SL1, their no-throttle start/stop, plus a basket-full of compression braking all tied into the transmission pixies. AT won't have that, they will have whipped mocha fraps and cell phones in the hands of every morning commuter.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well spoken! I was going to launch into a diatribe about a return to vacuum actuated transmissions and just raise the fill-tube to 5' above the axle.

One valid point though, on the MT there is the built in features of hill decent, rev control in SL1, their no-throttle start/stop, plus a basket-full of compression braking all tied into the transmission pixies. AT won't have that, they will have whipped mocha fraps and cell phones in the hands of every morning commuter.
Cant forget about no battery bump start either! I did that with the farmstand bus this morning after someone forgot to charge the battery on my days off.
Sponsored