Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be asking for the highest points the dealer can put breathers in for the diff and what not.
I was wondering about the breathers as well, I have them plumed up high on my Tacoma. I always wondered why the water fording depth excludes diff breathers? SO I didn't hydrolock my motor which is cool but I also don't want my differentials failing!

I would not use a dealer for mods like this IMO
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was wondering about the breathers as well, I have them plumed up high on my Tacoma. I always wondered why the water fording depth excludes diff breathers? SO I didn't hydrolock my motor which is cool but I also don't want my differentials failing!

I would not use a dealer for mods like this IMO
Yeah, I moved them up in my FJ. It was a fairly easy mod (Maybe 1-2 hours for me, following YouTube videos). I guess if Ford hasn't done anything, I will move them up on the Bronco too.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like this was a big selling point around reveal time. The Bronco was touted to be able for ford through 33.5" of water.
This is only for Badlands w/squatch. No specs on any other trim, but they will be less due to active shutters (unless Ford chooses to omit active shutters with squatch pkg?). Also, capable does not necessarily mean that extensive maintenance is not required immediately afterward (yet to be seen).

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is only for Badlands w/squatch. No specs on any other trim, but they will be less due to active shutters (unless Ford chooses to omit active shutters with squatch pkg?). Also, capable does not necessarily mean that extensive maintenance is not required immediately afterward (yet to be seen).
Where have you seen that it is only for Badlands? I was under the impression that the 33.5 spec is for all Sasquatched Broncos.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I'm sure the owners manual will have a list 3 pages long of maintenance to do if fording over hub deep.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, SAS is a Solid Axle Swap and anyone who uses it for the Sasquatch Package just looks very naive to the off-road world.
No, SAS is Statistical Analysis System from the SAS Institute and anyone who uses it for Solid Axle Swap just looks very naive to the data analytics world. :ROFLMAO:
Ford Bronco Water Fording SAS-logo

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where have you seen that it is only for Badlands? I was under the impression that the 33.5 spec is for all Sasquatched Broncos.
Initial technical specs indicated 33.5 "with Sasquatch", but Wildtrak has intercooler shutters (refer to B&P).

Ford previously disclosed that Badlands does not have the shutters (they are omitted in B&P, and Ford confirmed that this is correct). Also applies to "FE" Badlands. Ford declined to disclose why, but a logical conclusion is water depth. The intercooler is lower than 33.5".

Also, aside from the water fording issue, it is Wildtrak that would benefit most from shutter removal, although they are hopefully disabled in baja/sand mode. Owners will figure out how to remove them and disable the error code.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Initial technical specs indicated 33.5 "with Sasquatch", but Wildtrak has intercooler shutters (refer to B&P).

Ford previously disclosed that Badlands does not have the shutters (they are omitted in B&P, and Ford confirmed that this is correct). Also applies to "FE" Badlands. Ford declined to disclose why, but a logical conclusion is water depth. The intercooler is lower than 33.5".

Also, aside from the water fording issue, it is Wildtrak that would benefit most from shutter removal, although they are hopefully disabled in baja/sand mode. Owners will figure out how to remove them and disable the error code.
It looks like the other trims levels have these shutters too. What is the effect of those on water fording? I haven't dealt with them before, so am having trouble figuring out why they limit the fording depth compared to not having them.

Last edited:

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try this:
ARB DIFFERENTIAL BREATHER KIT
When drivetrain assemblies such as your vehicle’s differentials, gearbox and transfer case heat up under normal operation, the air inside expands and increases pressure. To vent this additional pressure, most factory differentials have a one-way valve mounted to either the assembly itself, or on a short extension tube close by. Unfortunately, when the drivetrain assembly cools down, the air inside contracts, creating a vacuum. When cooling occurs during a water crossing, these one-way valves can draw water into the system, potentially causing expensive damage. The ARB Differential Breather Kit is designed to provide a high-flow, zero back pressure, zero vacuum breather system to keep your drivetrain free of water. This is achieved with a central high-flow air filter and manifold that will allow up to four drivetrain assemblies to be vented to one central location, positioned high enough to avoid water during crossings.

Breather-1.jpg

Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone speculated more on why the fording Depth is 33.5" (on what the Sasquatch equipped vehicles?). The intake is well above that mark, what component(s) are at or just above that 33.5" mark causing that limit? And on vehicles that do not have the sasquatch pkg like a Black Diamond, what will the fording depth be on that?

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also I love this on the JL's would be awesome for Ford or the Aftermarket to do something similar

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Dimensions-Length-Width-Track.jpg

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone speculated more on why the fording Depth is 33.5" (on what the Sasquatch equipped vehicles?). The intake is well above that mark, what component(s) are at or just above that 33.5" mark causing that limit? And on vehicles that do not have the sasquatch pkg like a Black Diamond, what will the fording depth be on that?
I'm not sure there is much reason to speculate further, but I will, haha. It was a marketing gimmick or tool. The Ford Bronco was built specifically to compete with the Jeep Wrangler, so Ford picked a number greater than 30", 10% more in fact.

You do not want to use the air intake height as the measurement for fording depth. Water moves, flows, and therefore will rise and fall. If you enter water at an inch below your air intake, you may or may not ingest water depending on speed and terrain. The water will "slosh". It is also heavy and if it is moving, it will push your vehicle around.