First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can not remember hearing this noise before having FabTech Tie Rods and Rough Country Steering Rack bushings installed. You can only hear it if you have the drivers window down and the radio off.

I have tightened all the bolts for the coil over but the noise is still there. Its also most like a click pop metal noise when I am driving. I tried to duplicate the noise by jacking up the drivers front tire but I can not really tell exactly where its coming from...guess I need a mechanics stethoscope.

I made a short video - maybe someone has experienced something similar. My first thought it was coming from the new tie rod at the steering rack but I am really not sure.

I cant hear it on sooth paved roads at speeds above 45, its at slower speeds on bumpy roads or dirt roads where I can hear it.

Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you replicating the click, spinning the wheel?

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What were you doing to replicate the noise? Is it happening when turning? Does it happen if you remove the tie rod?
One source of a similar noise for me was my skid plates that shifted. I just unbolted then and then tightened em back down.

OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you replicating the click, spinning the wheel?
What were you doing to replicate the noise? Is it happening when turning? Does it happen if you remove the tie rod?
One source of a similar noise for me was my skid plates that shifted. I just unbolted then and then tightened em back down.
I was jacking the drivers side up with my floor jack. I need some more blocks since my floor jack does not have enough reach to get the 37s of the pavement.

So, all I am doing is getting the floor jack about halfway when that loud click starts.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha. Certainly does sound like metal on metal. Did you have an alignment done post tie-rod install? There's an old thread where someone had a similar noise and it ended up being a loose alignment bolt on the lower control arm.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was jacking the drivers side up with my floor jack. I need some more blocks since my floor jack does not have enough reach to get the 37s of the pavement.

So, all I am doing is getting the floor jack about halfway when that loud click starts.
Were you jacking from the frame? My guess is your skid plates. Try unbolting the diff skid plate and then rebolting it. Sounds strange but I had that issue. They had shifted and started making a popping/squeaking noise. Re-installing fixed it. Since nothing was rotating it’s not your tie rod unless the ball joint is squeaking as it articulates. Easy way to find out is hold it as it moves and feel for popping

OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha. Certainly does sound like metal on metal. Did you have an alignment done post tie-rod install? There's an old thread where someone had a similar noise and it ended up being a loose alignment bolt on the lower control arm.

4 Wheel parts did an alignment...I ll have to check the bolt.

Were you jacking from the frame? My guess is your skid plates. Try unbolting the diff skid plate and then rebolting it. Sounds strange but I had that issue. They had shifted and started making a popping/squeaking noise. Re-installing fixed it. Since nothing was rotating it’s not your tie rod unless the ball joint is squeaking as it articulates. Easy way to find out is hold it as it moves and feel for popping

Yes, I am jacking where the diff skid bolts to the cross member, I will loosen it later today and adjust it. Hopefully its that easy!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

4 Wheel parts did an alignment...I ll have to check the bolt.

Yes, I am jacking where the diff skid bolts to the cross member, I will loosen it later today and adjust it. Hopefully its that easy!
Report back please!

OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Report back please!

Loosened up the diff skid, moved it around as much as it would...tightened back down and it still makes the same noise.

I made a video of the noise while driving...

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Loosened up the diff skid, moved it around as much as it would...tightened back down and it still makes the same noise.

I made a video of the noise while driving...

Oof sorry. It still sounds exactly like mine and it’s fresh in my memory from last week! It’s definitely something metallic. Try what the other guy said. Take it to a good alignment shop and have them check everything. No offense but I’ve had nothing but bad experience from 4WP. They aren’t a very experienced group as the techs are really young. You need a good alignment guy with experience. Try an alignment only shop that works on off-road vehicles

Sponsored
OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oof sorry. It still sounds exactly like mine and it’s fresh in my memory from last week! It’s definitely something metallic. Try what the other guy said. Take it to a good alignment shop and have them check everything. No offense but I’ve had nothing but bad experience from 4WP. They aren’t a very experienced group as the techs are really young. You need a good alignment guy with experience. Try an alignment only shop that works on off-road vehicles

I have been pretty lucky with the 4 Wheel Parts here - same guy working on my Jeeps, Ram 3500 and now the Bronco. He has been there 10-12 years now. He has his own track car etc. so he is no slouch with working on vehicles.

I am going to park the Bronco until I get back from vacation, then I have a FabTech track bar to install so I will see what 4 Wheel Parts has to say about it.,

OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, in case anyone comes across this thread with a similar noise - it turned out to be the coil over reservoir - apparently it was hitting the against the frame so it was adjusted slightly or tightened down more secure and the noise is gone.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just starting hearing clicking sound from my passenger side. Doesn’t click while driving straight; only when turning the wheel. While parked, had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and I definitely feel the clicking on the LCA. Nothing from the tie rod or CV. I do have DV8 LCA skids. Think that might be the issue?

EDIT: Do not remove the King/LCA bolts with the vehicle on the ground. Load must be taken off the shock. Source: King Tech rep.

Question: can I safely remove the lower LCA bolts that are holding the kings shocks in place while the vehicle is on the ground? The reason I ask is because the bolts run upward through the LCA and base of the Kings whereas the bolts on OEM run downward through the LCA. When installing the LCA skids, I had to have the vehicle on the ground. Not so sure with my King setup.

here’s a video

Strange clicking sound from the LCA - 22’ Bronco

Last edited:
OP
OP
Az_Squatch_Bronco

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just starting hearing clicking sound from my passenger side. Doesn’t click while driving straight; only when turning the wheel. While parked, had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and I definitely feel the clicking on the LCA. Nothing from the tie rod or CV. I do have DV8 LCA skids. Think that might be the issue?

Question: can I safely remove the lower LCA bolts that are holding the kings shocks in place while the vehicle is on the ground? The reason I ask is because the bolts run upward through the LCA and base of the Kings whereas the bolts on OEM run downward through the LCA. When installing the LCA skids, I had to have the vehicle on the ground. Not so sure with my King setup.

here’s a video

Strange clicking sound from the LCA - 22’ Bronco

I had the JCR LCA skids and removed them, they were making some noise.

You can remove the lower nuts to remove the LCA Armour and see if that noise goes away.

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had lots of clicks and creaks after installing the ARB under vehicle protection kit and DV8 lower control arm skids. The solutions was to put a bead of silicone caulk any place that the skids were contacting the frame/control arms. It sounds crazy but it worked.
Sponsored