First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You lifted a Bronco two inches on the soft stock width and diameter tires and wheels and are wondering why it feels like it wants to roll going around curves?

Not at all trying to come off condescending just saying you threw the center of gravity up without compensating for it with more ground stability. Alignment won’t be the issue here it’ll be a combination of slip angle, increased height of a rather bulky body and the hitachi shocks fighting for their life.
I wouldn't say it's condescending. I trust a company like Rough Country would put out a product that isn't going to put the car risk after installing, or at least in their product descriptions and instructions would state that it shouldn't be used with the stock set up. I reviewed the instructions, it does give warnings a taller vehicle may roll easier. And they designed it based on 315/70/R17 on a 8.5" wide wheel, however it implies this is talking about wheel fitment not necessarily stability. I'm still shooting to have it aligned this morning from someone else if possible and go from there just to validate. The RC instructions include the alignment specs so I'll take those with me. Right now I'm just not trusting the dealer until I get a second opinion.
Sponsored

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You lifted a Bronco two inches on the soft stock width and diameter tires and wheels and are wondering why it feels like it wants to roll going around curves?

Not at all trying to come off condescending just saying you threw the center of gravity up without compensating for it with more ground stability. Alignment won’t be the issue here it’ll be a combination of slip angle, increased height of a rather bulky body and the hitachi shocks fighting for their life.
It's 2 inches not 24 inches

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wouldn't say it's condescending. I trust a company like Rough Country would put out a product that isn't going to put the car risk after installing, or at least in their product descriptions and instructions would state that it shouldn't be used with the stock set up. I reviewed the instructions, it does give warnings a taller vehicle may roll easier. And they designed it based on 315/70/R17 on a 8.5" wide wheel, however it implies this is talking about wheel fitment not necessarily stability. I'm still shooting to have it aligned this morning from someone else if possible and go from there just to validate. The RC instructions include the alignment specs so I'll take those with me. Right now I'm just not trusting the dealer until I get a second opinion.
Yes having it checked by someone else is the best thing to do. Just remember any modifications to a vehicle suspension will change how it feels driving including tires.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's 2 inches not 24 inches
It's increased height regardless on stock suspension and tires on a vehicle already prone to body roll. You do realize Ford couldn't safely put a roof rack on a 2021 4 door Sasquatch package because any extra weight on the roof caused excessive rolling and had to be compensated for with a rear stabilizer bar for 2022 models

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's increased height regardless on stock suspension and tires on a vehicle already prone to body roll. You do realize Ford couldn't safely put a roof rack on a 2021 4 door Sasquatch package because any extra weight on the roof caused excessive rolling and had to be compensated for with a rear stabilizer bar for 2022 models
Ok
When you modify a vehicle it is going to handle differently even if everything is done 100% right.

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it’s 2021 look into adding the rear sway bar. You raised your center of gravity it’s going to feel more tipsy now.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can't see someone that is supposed to know something about alignments adjusting toe in that far after putting spaces in.

Last edited by a moderator:

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Had the rough country 2" lift installed on my Big Bend by the dealer today (Dealer included it as part of the deal on buying the bronco). The dealer called it the leveling kit but RC only sells a 1" and it is definitely sitting 2" higher all around now (I measured before and after ~36" to fender before and 38 1/4" now). Dealer said they test drove and it was good, but on my way home around curves the bronco handled fine on stock suspension now felt very sketchy, almost like it was ready to roll. Needless to say I took it a lot slower. I had planned on upgrading tires anyway, but it has the stock 255/70/R17s on the stock wheels. Has anyone else had this installed with the stock tires/wheels and had any issues? Will upgrading to large/wider tires help?
Spacer lifts can create issues, but you should confirm the spacer pucks are installed in the proper orientation. Also you should confirm the hardware was torqued correctly and to spec.

OP
OP

rtd16

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: Took it this morning to a shop nearby that specializes in Rough Country lifts. Asked them to comb over the dealer's install and re-align. They also did before an after test drives. The tech said he didn't really notice what I was talking about but also didn't take it through any real curvy areas. He said the install looked good from what he could tell, nothing looked out of order. He also said the before alignment wasn't bad, but tuned it in for me anyway. I posted some pictures of the before and after alignment and the RC specs below. Seems like left front camber was right at the limit, and left front toe was out at the high end and right front almost out at the low end (but total was good). He has everything pretty well dialed in now. Since the tire shop was right next to where I was I went ahead and made an appoint to get new all terrains put on tomorrow morning.Couldn't really tell how much it helped as I got stuck behind an old timer doing 25 mph the whole way back.

56D15323-CF8A-4879-8476-45C401FEDFEA_1_105_c.jpeg

3C5606A5-905A-4C2A-8BA2-9D3156D6349B_1_105_c.jpeg

E9ADE3A1-B99B-4896-9018-E246B839F857_1_105_c.jpeg

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Had the rough country 2" lift installed on my Big Bend by the dealer today (Dealer included it as part of the deal on buying the bronco). The dealer called it the leveling kit but RC only sells a 1" and it is definitely sitting 2" higher all around now (I measured before and after ~36" to fender before and 38 1/4" now). Dealer said they test drove and it was good, but on my way home around curves the bronco handled fine on stock suspension now felt very sketchy, almost like it was ready to roll. Needless to say I took it a lot slower. I had planned on upgrading tires anyway, but it has the stock 255/70/R17s on the stock wheels. Has anyone else had this installed with the stock tires/wheels and had any issues? Will upgrading to large/wider tires help?
Dumb question, how many of these has the dealership installed? check your s
I'd take it to an off road shop and have them look at it. Not sure I'd trust a Ford dealership to lift my truck.

Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Take it easy
I can't see someone that is supposed to know something about alignments adjusting toe in that far after putting spaces in.
No worries, I just know a 2" lift can make a difference in toe as the radius of the control arms are significantly different than the radius of the tie rods. I am just entering a thought and something that could certainly make a vehicle feel different when cornering. I know my SCCA touring car did when the toe was just a few degrees off it felt top heavy. thats all. Maybe it isnt that but certainly something to check.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: Took it this morning to a shop nearby that specializes in Rough Country lifts. Asked them to comb over the dealer's install and re-align. They also did before an after test drives. The tech said he didn't really notice what I was talking about but also didn't take it through any real curvy areas. He said the install looked good from what he could tell, nothing looked out of order. He also said the before alignment wasn't bad, but tuned it in for me anyway. I posted some pictures of the before and after alignment and the RC specs below. Seems like left front camber was right at the limit, and left front toe was out at the high end and right front almost out at the low end (but total was good). He has everything pretty well dialed in now. Since the tire shop was right next to where I was I went ahead and made an appoint to get new all terrains put on tomorrow morning.Couldn't really tell how much it helped as I got stuck behind an old timer doing 25 mph the whole way back.

Ford Bronco Handling Weird After Lift Install E9ADE3A1-B99B-4896-9018-E246B839F857_1_105_c

Ford Bronco Handling Weird After Lift Install E9ADE3A1-B99B-4896-9018-E246B839F857_1_105_c

Wow
Tell dealer you want your money back for alignment
Good luck with tires

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
your alignment wasn’t great before, but it wasn’t bad either. Not sure if it’s normal with other cars, and I only noticed this since I took mine to 3 different alignment shops in the span of a week, but each time the toe was pretty out of spec like yours and they put it back so it’s possible the dealership gave you a better alignment to begin with.

a little interesting the shop inverted your caster split, believe most normally want more caster on the right.

the handling you’re describing is definitely strange, especially since you have a sway bar. Even without, those stock hitcahi shocks are pretty stiff!

OP
OP

rtd16

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most likely final update: Got 285/70/R17 KO2s on this morning. No real difference in how it feels. I'm going to give a couple days, but more than likely this lift is coming back off. I'm not having a nearly $50K Bronco I am nervous to drive...
Sponsored