Sponsored

Weird shuttering in First Gear anyone else experience this?

TheHuntMan

Big Bend
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 1994 Bronco XLT, 2018 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Today while driving my 7 spd big bend my truck started rocking forward and back in first gear while I was driving despite the fact I was actively accelerating it happened again just now not really sure why. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hope its nothing too bad. There is another thread with a clutch failure that sounded like a potential pilot bearing being amiss causing a vibration that destroyed it. Could otherwise be a defect in the pressure plate or the disc itself. I hope this is not yours issue.

Was there any break in procedure for the clutch? Or is it assumed that they are driven enough to break them in properly. I smoked a clutch after replacement once while pizza delivery racing and while it functioned fine it was always a lil softer than it should have been.

OP
OP
TheHuntMan

TheHuntMan

Big Bend
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hope its nothing too bad. There is another thread with a clutch failure that sounded like a potential pilot bearing being amiss causing a vibration that destroyed it. Could otherwise be a defect in the pressure plate or the disc itself. I hope this is not yours issue.

Was there any break in procedure for the clutch? Or is it assumed that they are driven enough to break them in properly. I smoked a clutch after replacement once while pizza delivery racing and while it functioned fine it was always a lil softer than it should have been.
Clutch feels perfectly fine itā€™s just a rocking no actual vibrations or anything. I think I may just be such a light foot when it comes to accelerating šŸ˜‚

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like a brake drag. Is your e brake off?

With new cars i drive them like i stole them, try to break things while you still have the warranty

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheHuntMan

TheHuntMan

Big Bend
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
TheHuntMan

TheHuntMan

Big Bend
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sounds like a brake drag. Is your e brake off?

With new cars i drive them like i stole them, try to break things while you still have the warranty
Hmm could be a bit of lag in the electric parking brake

OP
OP
TheHuntMan

TheHuntMan

Big Bend
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: I got home a little bit ago and I seem to have figured it out. Thereā€™s seems to be a little lag with the parking brake and when combined with my light foot causes a weird shuttering. It I hammer it itā€™s fine and if I donā€™t set the parking brake Iā€™m fine

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update: I got home a little bit ago and I seem to have figured it out. Thereā€™s seems to be a little lag with the parking brake and when combined with my light foot causes a weird shuttering. It I hammer it itā€™s fine and if I donā€™t set the parking brake Iā€™m fine
Nice, I've always found that driving manuals hard makes everything fine in the world.

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am confused here, why doesn't the parking brake release when it is released? I would think there is a second or two after hitting release before putting in gear and letting out the clutch.

Are you starting to drive and letting it automatically release the parking brake?

Or is ford trying to do some fancy crap like hill hold automatically with parking brake when stopped?

Or maybe it takes several seconds from hitting the electronic release till it actually releases?

I am not a fan of the electric actuated parking brake. Maybe there is some true benefit, but it seems odd. Maybe save the old problem of parking brake cable rusting? I would think there is just as much risk of the actuator having problems. The latter may be easier to replace however.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am confused here, why doesn't the parking brake release when it is released? I would think there is a second or two after hitting release before putting in gear and letting out the clutch.

Are you starting to drive and letting it automatically release the parking brake?

Or is ford trying to do some fancy crap like hill hold automatically with parking brake when stopped?

Or maybe it takes several seconds from hitting the electronic release till it actually releases?

I am not a fan of the electric actuated parking brake. Maybe there is some true benefit, but it seems odd. Maybe save the old problem of parking brake cable rusting? I would think there is just as much risk of the actuator having problems. The latter may be easier to replace however.
Some modern cars have a hydraulic line for the parking brake, with the piston actuated with the hand lever. No cable to worry about. Thatā€™s what I wish the Bronco came with.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some modern cars have a hydraulic line for the parking brake, with the piston actuated with the hand lever. No cable to worry about. Thatā€™s what I wish the Bronco came with.
That sounds like a nice solution. I will say I prefer a basic non electric brake.

And since I come from the school of the "parking brake" also being the "emergency brake", how the heck does one control the electronic parking brake in a moving brake situation.

Bradnewt

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go to your Ford account and watch the how to video explaining how the hill holder feature works.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
direct injection only engines are notoriously difficult to meter fuel evenly at low RPM, low throttle, and high load (low gears amplify the effect of surging due to the large O2 feedback swings under those conditions). A light throttle application may just be exposing the nature of this heavy beast, especially if going up a grade/hill.
Sponsored