Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a Base 2.3 7MT with about 4K on the odometer that I recently swapped the steelies off of for Big Bend wheels and tires. I have calibrated the speedo. What’s throwing me is my mpgs have gone up. Not considerably but I expected to take a small hit. Right now I’m averaging 23.9 according to the computer. That’s up from just under 23 with the steelies. My first thought is the tires are the same width and the alloys from the BB could be lighter than steelies, though I’m not sure. Does all this seem plausible? I’m also assuming because the speedometer has been calibrated than the mpg reporting should be accurate. I filled up a couple of days ago and I said I had 398 miles until E. I’m sorry I just don’t believe it.
So with the MT you have 4.46 gears, which are quite low with 30" tires. By switching to 32" tires you have effectively changed your gear ratio to about 4.2?, probably keeping your engine in the more efficient power band at cruise. I have the BB 2.3 AT with 4.27's and consistently get 23 mpg,

Last edited:
OP
OP
dck82

dck82

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Roll resistance of the two tires are likely different.
Roll resistance influenced by rubber compound, tread style, tire width and pressure.

Also, to compare mpg without a wind and speed consideration on a specific stretch makes it hard to ensure you drove the same with both sets....
I would say I’m a creature of habit. I imagine both sets have seen the same action for the most part. My commute Monday through Friday is mostly highway with speeds from 55-70 and my area of the country is as flat as a pancake. Then some putting around town on the weekends.

OP
OP
dck82

dck82

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So with the MT you have 4.46 gears, which are quite low with 4.46 gears. By switching to 32" tires you have effectively changed your gear ratio to about 4.2?, probably keeping your engine in the more efficient power band at cruise. I have the BB 2.3 AT with 4.27's and consistently get 23 mpg,
Thank you. That’s helpful in my understanding.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you. That’s helpful in my understanding.
Yeah, I mada a typo, should have said"...quite low with 30" tires."

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
So with the MT you have 4.46 gears, which are quite low with 30" tires. By switching to 32" tires you have effectively changed your gear ratio to about 4.2?, probably keeping your engine in the more efficient power band at cruise. I have the BB 2.3 AT with 4.27's and consistently get 23 mpg,
Switch to 32" and there's the rotational weight of the tire and wheel.

When I get my base model I plan to weigh both wheel. I'm curious 16" steel vs 17" aluminum??

Last edited:

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No bronco here (yet) but when I switched to 35's on our Wrangler I used an app to re-calibrate the speedo. I then went and verified it with a GPS app on my Iphone and also by doing a test drive on the interstate by resetting a trip odometer as I passed a mile marker. Then drove 10+ miles. Both of these tests indicated my speedo was closer to being correct but still off by a couple of MPH. So I tweaked the tire size some in the app and repeated until I was pretty much right on. Even tire wear after a few 1000 miles will cause it to be off a little. No big deal unless you are way off as then shift points, etc can be compromised. I would have said effected but I'm never sure as to when to use effected/affected :)
what I thought was strange is that the Nav system MPH in the Jeep always matched the speedo. I would have thought it used GPS for MPH.

pmi3

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We put 32" destination at2's on a badlands (37 lbs a piece vs 51 for the k02s). Getting on average ~21 mpg after recalibration. Mostly short in city trips, some long 50-60mph backroads trips at altitude. 2.3 manual with 4.7 gears. Feels much more peppy now.

topcatrw

Big Bend
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK Diesel, 2008 Saturn Sky, 1996 Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is a table some place on the Forum that shows the 3.73 gears with 33" tires gets the best MPGs without loosing much off road torque.
Sponsored