Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Let us go back into time and re-visit when another marquee brand was unable to fulfill it's customers reservations, the technologically advanced, very rapid and beautiful, Avanti by Studebaker.

Manufacturing hiccups of any new model happen, and sometimes unintended and undesirable factors impact vehicle manufacturing. This is nothing new to the American auto industry, although you would be hard pressed to understand that based upon the mostly vitriolic comments to the otherwise on these digital pages.

A snipped from Part I: "At its debut on April 26, 1962, Studebaker proclaimed the Avanti “America’s most advanced automobile.” Excited orders for the Avanti poured forth. And though Studebaker planned to sell 20,000 its first year, there were several production issues at Ashtabula. Problems with fit and finish meant big delays, and reservation holders pulled out – probably to go buy a Thunderbird."

Ford Bronco When manufacturing cannot meet reservations Studebaker-Avanti-2-768x519[1]
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the vehicle styling held up much better than the wardrobe styling from that era

Sponsored

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've actually stayed the night at the Avanti house in South Bend as an Air BnB, pretty interesting car, owners of the place pulled up in one on check out

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So Ford will deliver all of the Broncos that were ordered. It will just be a matter of time.
Well as you know from reading part I, the final result was not so rosy for the Avanti.....

"As a result Studebaker made only 1,200 Avantis in the first year. Its second and final production year in 1963 less than 4,600 were completed. Studebaker closed down Avanti production on December 20th that year, and the company closed entirely in November 1967."

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still waiting on a build date for my Avanti.
Do you know your place in line?
I can't get my dealer to return any of my phone calls.
I mean, I call him 30-40 times every day before lunch and never an answer.
I don't get it.
Should I switch dealers?
Cancel and go buy a Corvair?!
I hear the interior is nicer on the Corvairs.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I grew up riding in Studebakers, mostly Larks. My dad loved those cars. The Avanti was only a dream for us po’ folk…

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well as you know from reading part I, the final result was not so rosy for the Avanti.....

"As a result Studebaker made only 1,200 Avantis in the first year. Its second and final production year in 1963 less than 4,600 were completed. Studebaker closed down Avanti production on December 20th that year, and the company closed entirely in November 1967."
I don't see Ford going out of business anytime soon.