Which is better for new Bronco: Wrapping, or Painting?

vortexSigns

Base
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Wrap. Because
- You will change your mind on the color at some point
- Better resell value when you switch it back to original color
- any small damage/scratches can be replaced with a wrap -instead of doing body work - cheaper that way
- Better UV protection against the sun where paint would fade
- You can make a dual color and remove it when you get bored of it

Advertisement

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Is it possible to get your order with no paint and just primer? Never heard anyone doing this, so I figured I'd ask a larger group
I think I'm going to get OJ white and get a satin army green wrap. Black is a great color for almost any vehicle but it shows every single spec of dirt and it gets hot in the sun.

Incognito

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
I think I'm going to get OJ white and get a satin army green wrap. Black is a great color for almost any vehicle but it shows every single spec of dirt and it gets hot in the sun.
Black is better for a 4x4 that has a removable top.
You will never get the roll bar wrap to last more than one or two top removals.
It wouldn't last a week with the bungee cords from a bikini top or UV sunshade rubbing on it either.
The exception would be if you went with a wrap color that looks good with a white top and white bikini/sunshade.

Mac n Nevada

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Clubs

Not really familiar with wraps. For instance, how long can you keep a wrap on and then remove it safely concerning the paint below?

I figure $3,000 to $5,000 to wrap ( guessing) , how much to "unwrap"?

I'd be all about wrapping in a green or maybe a two tone...

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 F-150, '05 F-350, '13 JKU, '11 Jag XJL, '11 BMW 740LI, '05 Bentley GT
Paint it Tiffany Blue if you want, but from an expensive place that's used to full color changes.

Your wrap will fade, but it'll be cheaper initially and you can easily switch colors when it fades.

Look at wrapped work vehicles in your area and ask the drivers of the faded ones how long it lasted. The durability of a wrap against UV rays is geographically dependent and if it's outside the entire time... more exposure. If it was always either in your garage or your job's garage, then wrap it.
Terrible idea to change colors....and wraps nowadays are pretty UV resistant. Not sure the last time you have had one done....

I would buy a different car rather than put a wrap over a nice brand new factory paint job.
Wraps actually protect the paint job. Every wonder why so many people with $300k exotic cars decide to wrap them? It's not because they are interested in destroying their paint

Wrap it. Costs less and they make some pretty tough vinyl. I’m thinking of wrapping mine. Wrapped my FJ and it ran about 2k. That was about 4 years ago. It held up really well. There is more durable wraps out now than I got So they may cost a bit more now. Most of the cost is labor since they mainly have to pull the trim and odds and ends off. Do your research on a good place though. Some places wrap like trash. Paint could get a scratch easier And it’s more expensive. Just my opinion.
Spot on.

get it wrapped. but before you do, get the paint polished and cleaned up really well before getting the wrap put on. you don't want any paint defects or dirt on the paint under the wrap for a few years.
This is good advice as well, but honestly any good wrap or vinyl shop is going to prepare the surface before wrapping it... Good ones are like artists... Its amazing what they can do....

Last edited:

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really familiar with wraps. For instance, how long can you keep a wrap on and then remove it safely concerning the paint below?

You can pull the wrap off yourself if you really need to. Just need a heat gun at most.

The wrap will protect the paint...Doesn't matter how long it is on there, it will not harm the paint...

Around here, wraps cost on average about $2500....

deejaybee

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Unwrap is free because you can do it yourself. You just peel it off.

Mac n Nevada

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Clubs

at that price I could have a "new" Bronco every few years...(y)

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another nice thing about wraps that no one has brought up.... You can do matte colors really well with wraps.... Matte colors with paint are an absolute nightmare... Go ask a body shop how much to paint your car in matte paint and you see how bad they suck to do....Unlike clear coat jobs, you cannot wet sand and buff out imperfections....if you screw up, that's it, paint wasted....start over again...

Here's a article about how difficult it is to car for matte paint on a Ford SuperDuty...ironically, their last paragraph is telling people to just go and get a wrap and how it 'PROTECTS THE PAINT' while being easy to repair if its damaged.....

https://www.renuauto.com/single-post/2018/01/21/The-challenges-of-repairing-issues-on-matte-finishes

Rogues Gambit

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Clubs

I was in Team Paint before I started reading this, now I'm torn

Good thing though is the shop next door has a paintbooth and besides repairs, builds muscle cars

I'm feeling lazy, so here's just images I found of their work on Google (and apparently, a second site)
1600117721640.png

1600117755273.png

1600117763476.png

1600117828295.png

More pics

Pdiddy22

Outer Banks
First Name
Pdiddy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
You can pull the wrap off yourself if you really need to. Just need a heat gun at most.

The wrap will protect the paint...Doesn't matter how long it is on there, it will not harm the paint...

Around here, wraps cost on average about $2500....
I have a friend that wraps vehicles. I helped him wrap a truck in mat white and it looks showroom. I will buy a white Bronco and wrap it in mat green.
He also charges around $2500.

broadicustomworks

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Apache, 20 Z71 Silverado, 06 VTX1300, 04 Cobra
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Another nice thing about wraps that no one has brought up.... You can do matte colors really well with wraps.... Matte colors with paint are an absolute nightmare... Go ask a body shop how much to paint your car in matte paint and you see how bad they suck to do....Unlike clear coat jobs, you cannot wet sand and buff out imperfections....if you screw up, that's it, paint wasted....start over again...

Here's a article about how difficult it is to car for matte paint on a Ford SuperDuty...ironically, their last paragraph is telling people to just go and get a wrap and how it 'PROTECTS THE PAINT' while being easy to repair if its damaged.....

https://www.renuauto.com/single-post/2018/01/21/The-challenges-of-repairing-issues-on-matte-finishes
Absolutely. I've done hundreds of jobs. Spraying a matte clear is a PITA. I love the look, but it doesn't apply as well, can't nib and buff any trash, and it is super hard to keep "wet" while applying it so you don't get fallout overspray on the areas you started with.
Now I've never sprayed any ultra high-end matte clears, but the mid range stuff is more difficult, and the cheap stuff I wouldn't spray on anything, ever.

Advertisement

Advertisement