LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 10speed in the Bronco is one of the best trannys i have ever owned. Smooth as butter. It is much better in the bronco than it is in the wifes Expedition.

Reactions: Jdc

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea I knew that, but unless I'm mis-remembering older Fords (think 6 speed F150) could stay in D and lock out high gears indefinitely.
The older 6-speed F-150 had a button that would lock out overdrive. Never had one in the transition period. My 6-speed expedition the button locks out OD.

The 10-speed F-150s have +/- buttons that let you selectively lock out as many top gears as you like.

Apparently the +/- button on the Bronco does something else.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32220

This is a dumb question but can you see in the gauge cluster what gear the auto transmission is in? Or are you guys just going off feel?

I come from a 5 speed so it's hard to tell which gear is which unless I am really listening.
Just pull the lever down to M for a hot one and see what gear it is in. Then decide who is more confused you or the 10spd.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32220

The 10speed in the Bronco is one of the best trannys i have ever owned. Smooth as butter. It is much better in the bronco than it is in the wifes Expedition.
Have you driven anything with a ZF 8spd?

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll take having to think about gear selection 1 time out of 1000 rather than 1000 out of 1000.
This doesn't make any sense. You don't "think" about what gear to choose in a manual transmission any more than you "think" about where to place your feet when walking/running, or how fast to move them. There is never a point when you consciously take time and wonder to yourself, "hmm, which gear should I choose?" You do it intuitively. You learn the car and know what you're trying to do at the moment and subconsciously choose the appropriate gear.

I understand people have a lot of reasons to get an automatic, get what you want. But I won't buy one. In fact, I'll likely buy a few more manuals in the next 5-10 years while I still can. If the Bronco didn't come with the manual I wouldn't have considered it for a second.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

10 speed, 2.7, 2,200 miles and mine definitely does some gear hunting on occasion. This normally only happens while driving mountain roads at moderate speeds at around 40-45 MPH but I’ve noticed it a few other times too.

Both my 2016 GMC Sierra with an Allison and Duramax diesel and my 38’ diesel pusher with a Allison and big Cummins diesel do the same thing but neither are as “jerky“ as the Bronco and that’s probably because of the weight difference of the larger vehicles.

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stuff people complain about. Didnt you test drive one?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This doesn't make any sense. You don't "think" about what gear to choose in a manual transmission any more than you "think" about where to place your feet when walking/running, or how fast to move them. There is never a point when you consciously take time and wonder to yourself, "hmm, which gear should I choose?" You do it intuitively. You learn the car and know what you're trying to do at the moment and subconsciously choose the appropriate gear.

I understand people have a lot of reasons to get an automatic, get what you want. But I won't buy one. In fact, I'll likely buy a few more manuals in the next 5-10 years while I still can. If the Bronco didn't come with the manual I wouldn't have considered it for a second.
I find this to be an exaggeration based on daily driving a couple stick vehicles for 10 years but maybe I never 'became one with the machine' like you. Sometimes you have to wait for other drivers to make a move before you can select a gear and I can't say I've ever had to think about that in my automatic Bronco. Having to do that wouldn't be a big deal but it would make it harder to do B6G on my phone while driving down the road.

Sponsored

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe it's the 2.3l. We've got 6500 miles on our 2.7l auto, and I've driven another 2.7l auto several times and have never experienced what you're describing on either one of them. We're always in normal or ecomode.
Same here. I love my 10 speed 2.7 and average 20.3 mpg in normal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32220

No they weren’t available to drive when I made my res. on 10/30/20 I figured since they benchmarked the wrangler they would make a fleeting attempt at parity.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I find this to be an exaggeration based on daily driving a couple stick vehicles for 10 years but maybe I never 'became one with the machine' like you. Sometimes you have to wait for other drivers to make a move before you can select a gear and I can't say I've ever had to think about that in my automatic Bronco. Having to do that wouldn't be a big deal but it would make it harder to do B6G on my phone while driving down the road.
No exaggeration. Waiting != thinking. Just because I don't immediately know which gear is best just yet doesn't mean I need to think about it. Just read the situation as it develops and shift appropriately as I know, nothing to "think" about.

People are wired differently and/or have different preferences. Here's a more extreme example: I lived in California and had a motorcycle there years ago. I *loved* lane splitting on the way to work, completely energized me, no need for coffee when I got to the office. I felt wide awake and refreshed. Others said that this type of riding would "drain" them.

Another analogy: Introverts versus extroverts. Both can have fun at a party, talk to a bunch of people. But at the end of the night , while the introvert is drained, the extrovert is energized--all the interactions take no toll, there is no effort required. Just like, for me, shifting takes *nothing* out of me mentally, it energizes me and keeps me alert. Sounds like that's not the case for you.

I acknowledge that driving a manual is tougher in heavy traffic. I'm also aware that the Bronco manual is average at best.

No big deal, people are different. I am a manual purist, I suppose, but I'm happy that there are people who buy automatics, 4-doors, etc. I'm not interested in either, but I know that the Bronco wouldn't exist without the higher volume choices. I know that I need automatic buyers and 4-door buyers more than they need me--in fact I'm sure they don't need me at all.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I don’t know if the OP did or not but in my area, there were no broncos available for test drives. The dealers kept the demos on the showroom floor.
Sponsored