Sponsored

Why aren’t more companies capitalizing on Ford’s issues?

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because the virus effected every one in this world..... when people keep buying and things can't get produced.... the pipe line gets drained and it takes a long time for the pipe line to get refilled.... simple...
this.

I think I read somewhere that most of the world's plastic supply comes out of China. So basically anything you try buying that requires some type of plastic is damn near impossible.

Hell, I'm trying to buy a new bed frame for my kid and that's proving to be difficult, bc of supply chain issues.

I also agree with the other statement that a top isn't as easy to make as other accessories. The manufacturing alone would take several months to spin up, and that's not including the design, testing, etc... All this stuff takes time, and covid has certainly disrupted that.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are they going to get the raw materials to produce the top... all business are in the same boat not just Ford or Webasto
The list of materials going into a single component like a hard top is not that extensive. Most of it is just a couple types of petro polymers, and most of the major suppliers for that raw material are in states without big shutdown mandates, etc.

This top issue had largely been about the facility not being ready and the labor pool there being non-existent or untrained. Both of those things would have been known by Ford long in advance.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think if I were going to go on a year deployment, I would probably 99 my order until about 2 months prior to returning from deployment. The first year of Bronco is likely to be full of TSBs, campaigns and recalls. Also, the MOD top should be an option fairly close to the end of the deployment and it will be far superior to the MIC top.

Having a car sitting in an alley depreciating, just doesn't sound like how I'd go. Too much potential for future problems.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Because it takes millions to produce a hardtop. No one will commit to that. I bet Ford has spent millions investing in their hardtop.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The list of materials going into a single component like a hard top is not that extensive. Most of it is just a couple types of petro polymers, and most of the major suppliers for that raw material are in states without big shutdown mandates, etc.

This top issue had largely been about the facility not being ready and the labor pool there being non-existent or untrained. Both of those things would have been known by Ford long in advance.
Getting those components have been a problem.... I guess someone out there knew that there was going to be a toilet paper shortage and planned for it.... "wrong... didn't happen"..... when the virus hit and shut 90% of the world production of products down.... including the raw materials... people got sick.... could not work...... you can't produce without labor... including states without big shutdowns.... you can't operate with only 50 or 60% of your workers showing up..... including people that produce the raw materials

Sponsored

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you for your service @Broncadonk MKG ! Will be keeping a close eye on this thread as well as I'll be looking for an alternative top as soon as I get mine too! Problem is, in the time you're looking for one, there really won't be anything on the market that's been tested long enough to prove if its any better than the one Webasto is producing but maybe you'll get lucky!

OP
OP
Broncadonk MKG

Broncadonk MKG

Black Diamond
First Name
Mikayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for your service @Broncadonk MKG ! Will be keeping a close eye on this thread as well as I'll be looking for an alternative top as soon as I get mine too! Problem is, in the time you're looking for one, there really won't be anything on the market that's been tested long enough to prove if its any better than the one Webasto is producing but maybe you'll get lucky!
And thank you ma’am for your tax dollars.
I know I won’t get my hands on one any time soon… I just want an AM company that already makes Jeep fastback tops to tell me “yeah we are planning on developing one, just be patient” or “no, get lost and don’t message us again” 🌚🤪

OP
OP
Broncadonk MKG

Broncadonk MKG

Black Diamond
First Name
Mikayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because it takes millions to produce a hardtop. No one will commit to that. I bet Ford has spent millions investing in their hardtop.
It’s not a stretch to imagine a company that already makes highly rated fiberglass or plastic aftermarket Jeep tops for different generations to have much of, if not most, of the assets needed to fire up a separate manufacturing process to make one for the Bronco. I’m not expecting companies to come from the void and go “hey we are doing this 100% from scratch” or anything. That would be super suspicious

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And thank you ma’am for your tax dollars.
I know I won’t get my hands on one any time soon… I just want an AM company that already makes Jeep fastback tops to tell me “yeah we are planning on developing one, just be patient” or “no, get lost and don’t message us again” 🌚🤪
Really had a hard time deciding what emoticon to respond with on that one. 👍 for the tax dollars, 🤣 for the "get lost" comment or 🤮 at the word "ma'am" LOL. I'm only 37... that's not ma'am territory yet, is it? I get it's a respectful way to address someone you don't know, but oh man that word gives me extra grey hairs every time I hear it!

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
LOL... I have been in business for over 40 years... have never seen it like this.... still can't get what we want... as much as we want.... go try and buy a couch...lol
Funny you should mention the couch. I just bought two. The company quoted a six month time frame to receive them. Might very well get my bronco before the couches. Semi-post covid supply chain.

Sponsored

tmandz

Big Bend
First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Working in the auto industry, I've learned how much investment/time/tooling/manpower it takes to produce even the smallest of components. These smaller, 3rd party manufacturers have exponentially less resources to throw at it than an OEM like Ford. And that's not even including the current pandemic and supply chain state that currently exists. As much as we want to believe it, Ford isn't the only manufacturer, automotive or not, suffering these issues.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Working in the auto industry, I've learned how much investment/time/tooling/manpower it takes to produce even the smallest of components. These smaller, 3rd party manufacturers have exponentially less resources to throw at it than an OEM like Ford. And that's not even including the current pandemic and supply chain state that currently exists. As much as we want to believe it, Ford isn't the only manufacturer, automotive or not, suffering these issues.
But... But.... Ford should have known.... :)

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because the virus effected every one in this world..... when people keep buying and things can't get produced.... the pipe line gets drained and it takes a long time for the pipe line to get refilled.... simple...
This right here. I feel like many here have blinders on to the struggles around them, like Ford is the only company struggling with production. B6G members are raging at Ford because that is where they have elected to spend money. They are HUGE delays all over. Commodity prices are going through the roof. And even when you have a finished product, the cost to ship an item is now seeing quotes 5-6X of what they were 6 months ago.

Its a hot FN mess out there.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
this.

I think I read somewhere that most of the world's plastic supply comes out of China. So basically anything you try buying that requires some type of plastic is damn near impossible.

Hell, I'm trying to buy a new bed frame for my kid and that's proving to be difficult, bc of supply chain issues.

I also agree with the other statement that a top isn't as easy to make as other accessories. The manufacturing alone would take several months to spin up, and that's not including the design, testing, etc... All this stuff takes time, and covid has certainly disrupted that.
Nearly all domestic PVC piping is made in Texas at a facility which was literally frozen during that massive cold snap they had down there, then things broke when the started up the plant again.

A friend runs a landscaping business and the PVC situation is still horrible right now. He's getting partial deliveries of orders 6 months late and has no control over what comes in when. Peoples yards are ripped up and need the pipes but there's nothing to install. As you can imagine, based on how people are acting here on B6g with their Bronco order, his customers aren't happy but it's out of his hands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/plastics-shortage-texas-freeze-storm-uri-fight-for-materials-2021-3

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This right here. I feel like many here have blinders on to the struggles around them, like Ford is the only company struggling with production. B6G members are raging at Ford because that is where they have elected to spend money. They are HUGE delays all over. Commodity prices are going through the roof. And even when you have a finished product, the cost to ship an item is now seeing quotes 5-6X of what they were 6 months ago.

Its a hot FN mess out there.
Well I did here today that the main problem is that Fords magic wand is broken and in the shop for repairs.... as soon as it it fixed.... everyone here on 6G will get their Bronco the next day....
Sponsored