Sponsored

Why aren’t more companies capitalizing on Ford’s issues?

Broncadonk MKG

Black Diamond
First Name
Mikayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the add! Long time lurker, first day as a member on B6G.
Like soooo many others, I’ve had a roller coaster experience over the past year. I’m a 7/14 reservation holder with a build as follows: BD/2dr/A51/2.7/mid/tow/x-bar/bull bar.
Like many others, I had the dealer from hell until they went under and got bought out by a new company. To make amends, my new inventory manager put a PC10 on my build and I’m now expecting a build date of 8/16…. IF Ford keeps their shit together and doesn’t shut down that week.

Now that my background is out of the way, let’s get to it…

I’m especially weary of all the Webasto concerns, because I’ll take delivery in October when I return home from a long work trip (I’m military), drive my bronco for a few months, then deploy for a year. My husband, bless his heart, will drive it once or twice a week but it’ll spend most of its time parked in my alley, under a tarp when weather is bad. That is a long window of time for the hard top to degrade, let moisture in, freeze/melt/refreeze, etc, and destroy the interior or electrical components. I am on the hunt for an aftermarket hard top to install ASAP, to avoid the headache of ensuring my husband can take it in for recalls or repairs while I’m on the other side of the planet.
I’ve sent messages to ADD, DV8 and Patriot Fastbacks, inquiring about their plans (if any) to develop and produce Bronco fastback hardtops like they do for Wranglers. No response from anyone yet. Rational me says aftermarket companies would be pouncing on this opportunity that Webasto has created for the free market thanks to their failures. Yet, despite constant searches and messages, I don’t see it being considered.
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What other manufacturer wants to follow down the same path at this point with parts and supply issues? A hardtop company on the other hand could step up in a heart beat imo though.

Sponsored

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Climate controlled storage room may be your only option if you cant garage it.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They need to be able to get a bronco in order for them to create an aftermarket top.
Where are they going to get the raw materials to produce the top... all business are in the same boat not just Ford or Webasto

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mass production of any part also doesn't happen over night. Especially if you intend to go ground up with a new design and therefor new tooling.

OP
OP
Broncadonk MKG

Broncadonk MKG

Black Diamond
First Name
Mikayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They need to be able to get a bronco in order for them to create an aftermarket top.
I get that, believe me. A lot of companies have said they’re planning a lot of parts but they’ve been crystal clear they’re waiting on their order to come in before they can develop any further. But the hardtop subject is a black hole. I’d think a lot of companies, especially companies like DV8 who already make AM Jeep tops, would be publicly announcing their plans by now if they had any.

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tops have much different requirements than say lights or bumpers. The stresses, the ability to remove and reinstall repeatedly, the stress forces of body contortion, seals, etc.

It's a lot more involved than matching up mounting points.

No reputable company is going to put something like that out without testing.

Jeep JL aftermarket was quite slow at first as well. While some JK parts bolted on, many others needed to be redesigned and tested.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it makes you feel any better - My house doesnt have a garage or covered parking area. My Bronco will be parked in my driveway all year round through the winters, and be driven twice a week, with only a few K miles a year. (all my vehicles are used this way). Granted the driveway is somewhat shaded, and my other cars dont have a faulty removable top, but still...

Reactions: Jdc

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m especially weary of all the Webasto concerns, because I’ll take delivery in October when I return home from a long work trip (I’m military), drive my bronco for a few months, then deploy for a year.
I don't know why but I chuckled at calling a deployment a "work trip"

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Because the virus effected every one in this world..... when people keep buying and things can't get produced.... the pipe line gets drained and it takes a long time for the pipe line to get refilled.... simple...
No, that's not it.

I was educated and informed by members here that Ford's management is entirely to blame and that Ford is the only company in the world who can't immediately return to their globally sourced JIT manufacturing methodology. The rest of the world is back up to full speed, minus Ford.

thestep90

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know why but I chuckled at calling a deployment a "work trip"
Technically correct though :ROFLMAO:
My wife is also military and Im referring to deployments as a "work trip" from now on

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, that's not it.

I was educated and informed by members here that Ford's management is entirely to blame and that Ford is the only company in the world who can't immediately return to their globally sourced JIT manufacturing methodology. The rest of the world is back up to full speed, minus Ford.
LOL... I have been in business for over 40 years... have never seen it like this.... still can't get what we want... as much as we want.... go try and buy a couch...lol
Sponsored