Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
What do I want? Displacement and linear power first and foremost. I was highly unimpressed by my experience with the 2.7, the 3.5L was much better to drive though it still has the funky peaky output.

But for me I’ll take a tuned 7.3L
Well since your expectation is well over 500 horsepower/500 ft lbs at least you didn’t realistically expect that from the factory.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well since your expectation is well over 500 horsepower/500 ft lbs at least you didn’t realistically didn’t expect that from the factory.
My expectation is linear smooth power, they can put in an old V8 from 2009 with 300HP for all I care, but give me an engine that doesn’t feel peaky and underpowered as the 2.7 has.

I’m not really sure where the V8 hate comes from, you will be hard pressed to find a household around me that doesn’t have at least one V8 engine in the driveway. This is America sell me an engine that doesn’t feel, look, and sound like it came out of communist China.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cheap, cheap, cheap, and TONS of aftermarket support. LS/LT engine architecture goes back to the 60's...

Was that an actual question?
Not really, everyone knows the answer. A 6 to 7 liter small, light, V-8 Is the logical choice on pretty much every level. It's a shame Ford never had one, never will........

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not really, everyone knows the answer. A 6 to 7 liter small, light, V-8 Is the logical choice on pretty much every level. It's a shame Ford never had one, never will........
This is it. The LS would be GREAT in the Bronco. The Coyote is HUUUUUUUGE and for all of the bitching about peaky engines, it's a DOHC engine with less displacement than almost any other domestic V8. And it's relatively peaky, at least compared to the EcoBoosts, LSs, and Hemis. It revs to the moon, which is fantastic in a Mustang, but not necessarily what you want in a truck. I see people drooling all over the 7.3...it's also huge (compared to, say, an old 302 or an LS), and it's HHEEAAAAVVVVYYYY (34% heavier than the Coyote). The Bronco would probably tip over forward every time you tapped the brakes.

Last edited:

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is it. The LS would be GREAT in the Bronco. The Coyote is HUUUUUUUGE and for all of the bitching about peaky engines, it's a DOHC engine with less displacement than almost any other domestic V8. And it's relatively peaky, at least compared to the EcoBoosts, LSs, and Hemis. It revs to the moon, which is fantastic in a Mustang, but not necessarily what you want in a truck. I see people drooling all over the 7.3...it's also huge (compared to, say, an old 302 or an LS), and it's HHEEAAAAVVVVYYYY (34% heavier than the Coyote). The Bronco would probably tip over forward every time you tapped the brakes.
Step 1: Take the 7.3l architecture
Step 2: Change block Material to Aluminum
Step 3: Put it in everything
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Seriously though, I have been following the 7.3L closely as it is the closest true successor to the old 8.1L LS based engine. If they would build a version out of Aluminum, and give it a little more cam it would be the perfect engine for every rear wheel biased non-HD Ford vehicle in production. 500/500 is a very low goal for that engine and fuel economy is so good that I’m sure a lot of fleets will be reevaluating the need for diesel.

From first glances this engine is turning out to be a home run. I would love this engine in the Bronco.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7 actually weighs 29 pounds more than the 5.0.
It seems like people are grasping at straws to have any reason to support Ford not offering the V8.
Why would anyone automatically assume a 5.0L weighs more than a 2.7L with turbo and associated plumbing?

There’s a vast amount of America where consumers do not purchase small engines, appealing specifically to europhiles with engine choice in a quintessentially American vehicle is sure to raise a lot of eyebrows from people that aren’t traditionally Ford consumers looking at the Bronco.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had to downgrade from a Limited F150 to a Platinum then check all the option boxes just to get my V8. It's great but my coworkers Limited with the Ecoboost tows our 227 Robalo as good of not better than my 5.0. I will never tell him that. I'm so impressed by it, I won't shy away next time, however I love saying, "I got a 5.0" to anyone who asks, or doesn't for that matter.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
is there really a market for people willing to spend 10k extra for a 8 cylinder engine

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It seems like people are grasping at straws to have any reason to support Ford not offering the V8.
Why would anyone automatically assume a 5.0L weighs more than a 2.7L with turbo and associated plumbing?

There’s a vast amount of America where consumers do not purchase small engines, appealing specifically to europhiles with engine choice in a quintessentially American vehicle is sure to raise a lot of eyebrows from people that aren’t traditionally Ford consumers looking at the Bronco.
411# for 5.0, 449#s for 2.7. dry weight both.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had to downgrade from a Limited F150 to a Platinum then check all the option boxes just to get my V8. It's great but my coworkers Limited with the Ecoboost tows our 227 Robalo as good of not better than my 5.0. I will never tell him that. I'm so impressed by it, I won't shy away next time, however I love saying, "I got a 5.0" to anyone who asks, or doesn't for that matter.
I knew a guy that bought the 6.2L F150 ( non raptor) when that was still a thing, the problem was no one kept them on lots and it had to be special ordered.

That engine was great in the smaller 150 but Ford did a huge disservice by Building to order only.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
is there really a market for people willing to spend 10k extra for a 8 cylinder engine
Absolutely, I would bet money if it was value priced at only $40k for base +V8 it would be well over 40% of volume.

Personally though if it had a V8 I would be more seriously looking at available options and likely be building a $60k truck.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is America sell me an engine that doesn’t feel, look, and sound like it came out of communist China.
When they put them in Chinese bodies, what difference does it make. ?

Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? 1595896943314

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
When they put them in Chinese bodies, what difference does it make. ?

1595896943314.jpeg
Don’t look at me, the C8 is a travesty, but GM has been selling Chinese cars for several years now. I bought the last decent car they built. 88% Australian content with Engine and Tremec transmission sourced from USA.

Ford has its own issues, looking at the Getrag in the Mustang. I think it’s safe to say the small engine fascination is strictly due to exterior pressure, for Ford this is due to the regressive dark age policies imposed on Europe. For GM this is due to the communist CCP of China.
I don’t see FCA struggling to sell V6 and V8 GCs, pickups; the Challenger for as old as it is, destroys the much newer and lighter Camaro in sales volume and hasn’t let the Mustang pull ahead by any great means.

Last edited:

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like others have said, a high revving V8 making most of it's torque on the top end just doesn't make sense for the Bronco. Also keep in mind CAFE standards and MPG averages would be affected.

The 2.7 will be plenty in the Bronco and if it's not enough for you, tune it. You'll be impressed either way.

As far as reliability, I had the first gen 2.7 in my 2015 F-150 and it was the only thing on that truck I didn't have issues with. I swore I wouldn't buy another Ford after that truck, but here I am.

Now if Ford would just offer the 2.7 with the manual...
Sponsored