Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 3.0L always made the most sense🤷🏼‍♂️. The Coyote has a terrible powerband (high revving, lack of low end torque) for a heavy SUV if it fits at all and still leaves room for the necessary cooling and crash protection but "V8 noises". The 3.5L is a completely different block and would require a lot more engineering to fit and produce.

Kramku1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What's wrong with the transmission it's been in the ranger for years does it have reliability issues?

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious why the upgrade to towing capacity. Just the hp increase or wider stance?
Increased support & strength in rear end of the frame. Check out a couple of videos that came out the past few days and the diagram shows the added item.

Sponsored

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i know its been a minute. But im back!

my BIGGEST point of why i would MUCH rather have the 3.0 vs 5.0 is elevation!
most trails are a mile high plus.
n/a motor will loose 15%+ vs turbo.

also heres my guestination 430/430
AC54965F-4CD5-4F8E-9512-3AED730A66A7.jpeg

3B245803-CFC6-434F-BDDA-89D63C0041DD.jpeg
How dare you make perfect sense sir.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's wrong with the transmission it's been in the ranger for years does it have reliability issues?
The transmission in the Ranger is the 10R80 transmission. The transmission in the Bronco is the 10R60. The one in the Ranger is the heavier duty transmission.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They haven't fully explained why. But evidence suggests it has to do with the suspension and, as @FourHorses said, a beefier hitch receiver setup that allows for more tongue weight.

Definitely not horsepower or torque though. The Ranger has the same 2.3L EcoBoost that's in the Bronco and yet has a tow rating 7500 lbs. Granted, the Bronco is much heavier than the Ranger. But not 4,000 lbs heavier.

Would not at all be surprised if the tow rating change gets ported over to the "normal" Bronco during the mid-generation refresh that is rumored to happen in 2024/2025. Would be a good differentiator between the Bronco and Wrangler.
The Bronco Raptor also has the Fox Live Valve shocks. It makes sense to me that if the towing capacity in the regular Bronco was limited by the suspension that these Fox shocks could help significantly while towing. The shocks can adjust on the fly to current conditions. So if things start to get wonky with a trailer, the shocks can stiffen the appropriate shocks to help stabilize things. Also, they have a towing mode which I assume also sets the shocks appropriately to add more stability while towing. I see this as a possible reason why the Bronco Raptor has an increased towing capacity.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are Explorer ST's out there blowing transmissions constantly? I don't understand why folks are so bent out of shape about this.
Some will never be happy unless it comes with a C6 or a toploader.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are Explorer ST's out there blowing transmissions constantly? I don't understand why folks are so bent out of shape about this.
They're not. Tuned Explorers are easily pushing 500+ ft-lb through the stock trans. Some idiot posted some conjecture about what the "60" in 10R60 stands for and people ran with it, totally believing some internet BS and then repeating it without knowing what they're talking about. See below.

that's what i was thinking- i already read somewhere that the auto trans for the 2.7 really shouldn't get more than 400 ftlbs of torque going through it.

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford doesn't even put a V8 in the F-150 Raptor. Why does anyone think they would put one in the Bronco Raptor??? I don't get this "logic".

Calling the Raptor a specialty vehicle is a stretch in my opinion. Limited production? Sure, but if you want a specialty Bronco, call up Gateway. I bet they'll build you one with whatever V8 your heart desires. Just understand that $100k is probably only going to secure your spot in line whereas that money will get you a very capable production vehicle with a warranty to boot.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7l or 3.o liter twin turbo motor has a very limited service life---maybe 80,000 miles before turbos need replacement? A 5.0 liter v8 can be serviced and rebuilt by engine shops all over the US...making a v8 bronco a long-term hold....imo...anything with a turbo will have a short service life....how much is a 2.7L to replace?
I've owned a half dozen turbocharged vehicles and have yet to replace a turbocharger in any of them due to failure. This may have been true back in the 60s when you were rolling ciggies into your t-shirt sleeve, but modern turbos usually outlast the vehicle. Stop spreading fake news.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Forgive me if I don’t care about what’s convenient for your assembly process when I’m shelling out $70-100k for a specialty vehicle.
What's convenient for their assembly process is why you're only paying $70k haha

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it the same transmission as the standard Bronco? If so I'd be a little concerned....
You don't need a stout transmission if you make the axles the weak point

feel-me-think-about-it.gif
Sponsored