Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think we're all forgetting the most important piece of the badlands decision...the satisfaction of having all the hero switches and no empty spaces!
I wanted the one hole leftover...where else would I install the eject button?
Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wanted the one hole leftover...where else would I install the eject button?
Great point as that will be needed for the dogmatic Jeep buddies who will keep saying, "ya but my Jeep."

:LOL:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is no desert racing trim for either the Bronco or the JL, at least until the Raptor comes out. Outer Banks is the Sahara competitor. It's the street trim. Wildtrak is an Outer Banks with the 2.7 and Sasquatch. The Wildtrak is marketed as the desert runner, but it's not any better as one than any other trim with Sasquatch.

The Wildtrak interior looks great in person.
The only thing that you cannot get in the OBX that you can get in the WT (other than aesthetics) is the Baja Mode. Which I will find a way to enable on my OBX... LOL.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The only thing that you cannot get in the OBX that you can get in the WT (other than aesthetics) is the Baja Mode. Which I will find a way to enable on my OBX... LOL.
I thought custom GOAT modes were impossible?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought custom GOAT modes were impossible?
Well that's what ForScan is for... It will eventually get sorted out... if not by me, by someone else smarter than me. I am also going to put a TrueTrac Helical Limited Slip Differential in my OBX... So that's going to be a thing in my OBX. Rear locker and front limited slip... which will be awesome for Baja type driving.

Define impossible? I have been told a lot of things were impossible. Once, I was told that making 250 RWHP with a stock miata and a supercharger was impossible... then this happened.

It eventually ran 12's.

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Somehow 250hp in a Miata with a SC doesn't strike me as even remotely impossible, hell, a stock bottom end 4.6 Mustang went 650hp, and that was about 15 years ago.

I said impossible, because I read an online article last night that said Ford had made it impossible.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Somehow 250hp in a Miata with a SC doesn't strike me as even remotely impossible, hell, a stock bottom end 4.6 Mustang went 650hp, and that was about 15 years ago.

I said impossible, because I read an online article last night that said Ford had made it impossible.
This Miata nonsense was all 20 years ago. However, I did help a few Miatas go faster than that... I am not sure what the final HP was on this one, but I built the turbo system and engine management for it. This was a stock motor.

It went 10.94 @ 139 MPH at 5,500 ASL. Just another 2 door hardtop... :D I used to build this kind of stuff around 2000-2002.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The crazy thing is, with all the stuff we used to do to wrench max power out of these things. How much power does the Bronco 2.7 make? With a warranty. With great drivability. Excellent manners across the power band. Amazing stuff.

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So many know-it-allā€™s in here!! Lol be happy with what you bought. Validate your decision anyway you want. Iā€™m gonna enjoy driving my WT right past those ugly ass grey grills and smileā€¦ love you all

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So many know-it-allā€™s in here!! Lol be happy with what you bought. Validate your decision anyway you want. Iā€™m gonna enjoy driving my WT right past those ugly ass grey grills and smileā€¦ love you all
Since when does the OBX come with an ugly ass Gray grill? ;) Also ordered a WT anyway.

Sponsored

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since when does the OBX come with an ugly ass Gray grill? ;) Also ordered a WT anyway.
Didnā€™t say anything about the Outer Banks did I? The BL grill is not my favorite combined with the gloss black being šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„. Does that make sense now?

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Okay, youā€™re an idiot.

I switched from WT to BL, and when I reordered a 2022 I went back to WT. I just like the way it looks out of the factoryā€¦..especially with race red paint against the black bits. I love the gloss painted black grill, and the matching black wheels. I hate the gray BL grill and I donā€™t like the gray beauty ring on the Sasquatch pkg either. I think the rubber floors are always going to look dirty and will need soap and scrubbing in order to not look like trash. Finally, I just couldnā€™t see myself dragging a $60k rig across rocks when I plan on keeping the rig forever and leaving it for my son.

When Ford calls WT a desert runner, itā€™s because itā€™s the only trim that comes with, 2.7L auto, and Sasquatch (desert runnerish) standard. You donā€™t have to add an additional $6k or so to your build in order to get to where the WT is. Plus I love sport mode, and keep telling yourself Baja and Sport are the same by switching to 4Hā€¦.itā€™s not. Itā€™s what people say to justify their decisions.

I would surmise that 90% of BL owners never or very rarely intentionally get into a situation that requires Rock Crawl mode or SBDā€¦..so, isnā€™t that by definition a waste of a trim for those individuals?

Lastly, the BL isnā€™t in competition with other Broncos. Other Broncos exist for budgetary reasons, intended use, and individual preference. The BL was supposedly designed to compete with the Rubicon. However it will never be able to match the articulation of the Rubicon without mods with the BLā€™s IFS. What a wasted opportunity by not putting a SFA in the BL, so that it can compete with its completion. It will always be sucking hind tit on the trail, at its intended purpose, against its main competition. At least the WT is far superior to the Jeep when considering itā€™s intended purpose ā€¦.desert/dirt road running, ride comfort on roads/highways, and itā€™s not bad in the rocks if you happen to find some unexpectedly.

Of course Iā€™m just playing devils advocate for the most part, and will miss the BL capability, even though it would mostly go unused, and Iā€™ll definitely miss the MGV. But theyā€™re both great rigs and have great capabilities for their purposesā€¦..just tired of BL elitists shitting on the WT. Didnā€™t like it when I had a BL on order, and for like it now.

Enjoy your BL and save the bashing for the rocks.
Wildtrack is certainly the best looking; and Iā€™m considering the switch and canā€™t believe it. With the ā€˜22, will the emblems be black? The door handles change to MIC; what else changes?
Appreciate the solid knowledge šŸ¤™
(I wish the grill was matte though)
And oh yeah itā€™s got to have the rock rails which I donā€™t see on the B&P but surely theyā€™re available.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wildtrack is certainly the best looking; and Iā€™m considering the switch and canā€™t believe it. With the ā€˜22, will the emblems be black? The door handles change to MIC; what else changes?
Appreciate the solid knowledge šŸ¤™
(I wish the grill was matte though)
And oh yeah itā€™s got to have the rock rails which I donā€™t see on the B&P but surely theyā€™re available.
The Bronc emblem will still be black, wheels still all black, and of course the grill. Iā€™m good with the mirror caps and door handles going to MICā€¦.less of a hodgepodge of different trim colors. The Rock Sliders will be coming when they load accessories on B&P. Matte would be awesome for the grill.

sbonomo

Wildtrak
First Name
stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3/F-150 XL eco beast
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As for trims, you guys crack me up. There are only two trims in the Bronco.. one with washout interior and one without. Everything else beyond that is just options they can be had on most other trims. (Honestly they could have been had on every trim except Ford messed it all up)

The WT is just as valid as a trim as any other one, and actually comes with a better price for those who want what all the big features: Hard Top with roof rack, 2.7, Sasquatch, Aux Switches, 4A, and Mid Package.

As for the sway bar disconnect, all you Badland folks are going to argue it's huge. Well it's not. I drove Moab off Rodeo in a WT and did just fine, did everything a Badlands did, and actually better because I didn't rub. The Badlands lifted their tires in the same spots that the WT did.

Honestly, if you are going to be into serious rock crawling where you would need the disconnect, even a stock Badlands is not going to cut it. You can't compare any of these stock Broncos to a built up rock crawler.
This is exactly why i ordered the WT - I am a very capable off road driver and can vouch that having the sway bar disconnect is better. However, if you know how to put the vehicle on a line and can drive i can't think of any obstacles that i could not make due to having a sway bar. It came down to price for me. The exact same build BL vs WT was 3.5K cheaper than the badlands. I have to forego the rock crawling mode and sway bar disconnect but gain the sport mode and IMO get a better looking rig. This rig will do dual duty for me until it has some miles on it. Once it is turned into a dedicated 4x4 rig the sway bar will be gone anyway.

deanfromkelowna

Wildtrak
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
haven driven the Wildtrack off road I can tell you that the Baja mode revs higher before shifting than the other modes, and adjusts the traction system for high speed off road surfaces, meaning surfaces with less grip. Sport mode is for on road, traction system adjusts for a surface that is going to have grip, and it has a bit better throttle response.

Don't let anybody tell you the Baja mode and sport mode are the same. They are not.

at the off roadeo the wildtrack did everything the badlands did, just with more leaning because of less travel. There was a Badlands that got stuck on some rocks, but that was 100% the driver. My 2 cents is unless you are going to be doing some major rock crawling, you won't need the badlands. unless you plan on doing higher speed off roading like sand dunes, or high speed off road courses, you don't really need Baja mode. I went with the wildtrack because I will be on road more than off road so I wanted the sport mode. I don't plan on doing the Rubicon or crawling over any large boulders so I opted not to do the badlands. I was questing my decision till I went to the Off Roadeo, now I don't have any question, that for me the wildtrack was a better fit. It's not better or worse than the badlands, it's different. Your bronco needs to be like your shoes, wear according to what your going to be using it for and it's good for you. None of this why didn't you get the badlands stuff. I didn't get it because it's my 59K to spend and that's what I wanted.
Awesome post, thanks for the insight.
Sponsored