Sponsored

Will Bronco have equivalent to Toyota Crawl Control?

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi, I used the search function and couldn't find "crawl control" as being mentioned before though I know it must be somewhere on this site. I'm new to the civilian side of off-roading and its technology. I saw a Toyota Crawl Control demonstration and a couple online videos showing it getting out of just ridiculous situations, sunk down in sand.

Does Ford have such a feature, and if so, what is it called? Is this likely part of the GOAT modes? Please school me because that Toyota demonstration blew me away. I'd be happy as hell if the Bronco could do something similar. Thank you.
Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes. Ford calls it “Trail Control”. A google search will give you lots of results and plenty to see and read.

Trail Control is another segment-exclusive feature available for all Bronco models. This technology is basically adaptive cruise control for off-roading situations. Available at speeds up to 20 mph when traveling forward and 6 mph going in reverse, Trail Control manages the vehicle’s throttle and braking so the driver can maintain focus on steering and navigating a path on the trail (or lack thereof).

Bronco 2- and 4-Door owners get extra trail tech as part of the available Trail Toolbox. Yet another first for the segment, the Trail Toolbox is a suite of off-road-ready features that includes the aforementioned Trail Control as well as Trail Turn Assist and Trail One-Pedal Drive. By applying the brakes to one of the rear wheels, Trail Turn Assist uses torque vectoring to decrease the SUV’s turning radius while off-roading. Trail One-Pedal Drive simplifies acceleration and braking control when rock crawling, allowing the driver to manage speed or stop the Bronco without touching the brake pedal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes. Ford calls it “Trail Control”. A google search will give you lots of results and plenty to see and read.

Trail Control is another segment-exclusive feature available for all Bronco models. This technology is basically adaptive cruise control for off-roading situations. Available at speeds up to 20 mph when traveling forward and 6 mph going in reverse, Trail Control manages the vehicle’s throttle and braking so the driver can maintain focus on steering and navigating a path on the trail (or lack thereof).

Bronco 2- and 4-Door owners get extra trail tech as part of the available Trail Toolbox. Yet another first for the segment, the Trail Toolbox is a suite of off-road-ready features that includes the aforementioned Trail Control as well as Trail Turn Assist and Trail One-Pedal Drive. By applying the brakes to one of the rear wheels, Trail Turn Assist uses torque vectoring to decrease the SUV’s turning radius while off-roading. Trail One-Pedal Drive simplifies acceleration and braking control when rock crawling, allowing the driver to manage speed or stop the Bronco without touching the brake pedal.
Thank you. I read about Trail Control and had already read about the Bronco Trail Turn Assist for autos and Trail one-pedal drive, or whatever it is officially called. They don't seem to be like Toyota's Crawl Control. This is what I'm talking about:

You can get stuck on all four wheels in deep sand and still somehow get out.

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thank you. I read about Trail Control and had already read about the Bronco Trail Turn Assist for autos and Trail one-pedal drive, or whatever it is officially called. They don't seem to be like Toyota's Crawl Control. This is what I'm talking about:

Or you could just spin the tires slowly on your own. No need for a fancy computer.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or you could just spin the tires slowly on your own. No need for a fancy computer.
Are you suggesting that someone can get out of deep sand easily like in the video without power modulation or auto braking etc.? I've mostly just driven Humvees and bigger 6x6 trucks and never got stuck in the sand like that but I can't imagine I can easily get out of that situation without digging myself out and putting a board under the stuck wheels.

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same type of system. Just a different name.

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are you suggesting that someone can get out of deep sand easily like in the video without power modulation or auto braking etc.? I've mostly just driven Humvees and bigger 6x6 trucks and never got stuck in the sand like that but I can't imagine I can easily get out of that situation without digging myself out and putting a board under the stuck wheels.
Yes. You can get out, just need some self and skinny pedal control.

Wiser Bronco

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I don't ford even understands what that is, I have had it on my Trail 4Runner. It's pretty sweet.
It worlds best system is 3x Locked Land Cruiser. Had a few cruisers with that feature.

Bronco won't have anything like that, at least it will be a great suprise if it does.

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford’s Trail Control is the same as Toyota’s Crawl Control. It’s an off-road cruise control. That’s what that Tacoma is using to get out of that sand. The computer uses throttle, brakes, wheel torque location, etc to drive itself off-road. You just have to steer.

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have never had a Toyota. I am sure it works better than doing it the manual way.

Dubfound

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi’s
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

wait Toyota trucks still have drum brakes!? That’s lame. Hahaha

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have never had a Toyota. I am sure it works better than doing it the manual way.
For most people, yes. Not for people that have had plenty of practice. There’s an art to the way to get unstuck from sand and other general off-roading. Just takes lots of practice.
Sponsored