Sponsored

Will Ford Delete the Base 2.3L engine option?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unlikely they would offer the 2.3 in the upcoming rangers, but get rid of it for Bronco.
Sponsored

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.3 (or some 4cyl variation) will stick around for the Bronco/Ranger/Mustang. I could see the Bronco and Ranger going to 4cyl and 4cyl hybrid as the only engine options, completely dropping the V6
its also the base engine for the Explorer

Wyatt

Black Diamond
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Obviously the 2.7 is better power wise but the bronco isnā€™t a sports car the 2.3 isnā€™t underpowered and if you are looking for more power out of the 2.3 easy fix ford performance calibration goes from 300 hp to 330 hp and torque from 325 to 385. And if you drove a 2.3 thatā€™s not running on premium which Iā€™m sure most arenā€™t you lose a ton of power running on 87.

Sponsored

Wyatt

Black Diamond
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.3 seemed fine to me for just basic daily driving especially if its highway driving. My 2.7 gives me all the torques when I want it though. One thing I will say about 2.3 and a lot of people might not like it but the 2.3/manual combo is trash. I've driven tractors with better shifters.
Boomba short throw kit problem solved :D

IMG_0646.jpeg

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. Test drove a 2.3L auto w/ sas and it was just OK. Anyone saying you arenā€™t missing anything off the 2.7L is kidding themselves.
I test drove a couple Broncos with the 2.3 and opted for the 2.7 in my 2Dr Badlands. I'm so glad I did. My 2020 Ranger had the 2.3 , and yes it has power but sounds like it's about to come out of the engine bay just to get moving ,lol. With the powers that be trying desperately to push us into EVs I could see them dropping the 2.7 at some point in the future though.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they axed the 2.3, since it's the engine I would prefer.

After all, they've already killed the base trim and cloth seats I really wanted. I'm losing interest fast in the current choices for a 2-door with the 2.3 and auto trans, to be honest.

The 2.3 is more proven and less complex, hence my pick. And more than adequate in a 2-door.

Last edited:

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have the 2.7, but after riding in a 2.3 I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for the way I drive if I have to replace it.

Now if you keep it in sport mode 100% and pretend its a Porsche then get the 2.7.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 2.3 (or some 4cyl variation) will stick around for the Bronco/Ranger/Mustang. I could see the Bronco and Ranger going to 4cyl and 4cyl hybrid as the only engine options, completely dropping the V6
That I wouldn't be suprised to see happen...I just had a thought and I'm wondering if the 3.3L V6 is long for this world-the only other product that uses it is the Explorer in HEV form, but if the Ranger and Bronco get a 2.3L Powerboost Hybrid, it would make more sense to share it with the Explorer.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One thing I will say about 2.3 and a lot of people might not like it but the 2.3/manual combo is trash. I've driven tractors with better shifters.
You should drive mine.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Every engine eventually gets replaced, but if the 2.3 gets replaced soon it'll likely be by the revised 2.3 going in the new base Mustang.
my BB has the 2.3L with a 4.3 Diff. ? ( the one above the 3.73 ) and it is a well match drive train put together. 2.3 is able enough to do whatever the 2.7 can do for 2k $ less .

bkirchhoff

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Until they upgrade the manual gearbox, the 2.3L will be here to stay. That gearbox is only rated to handle under 400 ft/lbs of torque, which is why it canā€™t be paired with the 2.7L engine. And I canā€™t see Ford removing the MT option entirely. That would basically just give Jeep all the sales from those of us who are manual diehards.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. Test drove a 2.3L auto w/ sas and it was just OK. Anyone saying you arenā€™t missing anything off the 2.7L is kidding themselves.
did you remember to take it out of ECO mode?
Sponsored