Sponsored

Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive MI seasonal roads a lot and as many have said, really depends on the conditions. If it’s heavy snow over ice, a few inches will be impassable. You tires and rear locker will get you through about as well as any stock pickup (other than a TRX/Raptor or similar). I routinely have taken my F150s (rear locker equipped) with 32s on a ton of those roads and it got through most situations that didn’t just scream, “no go”. You will do better with your Bronco👍🏽

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drive in snow frequently and this past weekend was the first time I got to drive my Bronco in it. Also a manual black diamond with stock wheels. It did great on hills, etc. No issues. The smaller tires help (skinnier tires tends to be better in most types of snow). But, as others have said, the actual conditions you are facing will matter a ton. Driving on fire trails with a foot of snow alone seems like a bad idea. Even in good weather, people tend not to go off-roading alone. Better to do it with another car that can help. If you are on your own, you need a way to self-recover.

You mentioned that you have limited off-road experience and almost no snow driving experience. Going to the camp without other vehicles with you seems like a terrible idea. What happens if you get stuck? getting out of that situation would be hard if the weather was good. Factor in freezing temps and such....

You mention a winch - a good idea if you know how to use it. Using it the wrong way can be disastrous.
Good to hear that the Black Diamond does well in the snow. I probably didn’t make it clear that I wouldn’t be alone, but I’m not sure what other vehicles would be there with me. I’m also not sure whether anything would be capable of pulling me out if I got stuck either. I do have plenty of snow and ice driving experience having grown up in Michigan. The good news is that no matter what you can walk in and out of camp to a national park lot off a highway where the less capable vehicles are left. Some years no one has driven and everyone has walked in. I’m just trying to gauge whether I should attempt the journey.

What are the concerns regarding winches? Is it just the winch snapping/coming loose? If seems like chains would be a good idea regardless. I’ve learned about towing the hard way from forums and personal experience with a couple F150s I’ve had. I’m new to the world of off-roading though and am trying to figure it out.

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to hear that the Black Diamond does well in the snow. I probably didn’t make it clear that I wouldn’t be alone, but I’m not sure what other vehicles would be there with me. I’m also not sure whether anything would be capable of pulling me out if I got stuck either. I do have plenty of snow and ice driving experience having grown up in Michigan. The good news is that no matter what you can walk in and out of camp to a national park lot off a highway where the less capable vehicles are left. Some years no one has driven and everyone has walked in. I’m just trying to gauge whether I should attempt the journey.

What are the concerns regarding winches? Is it just the winch snapping/coming loose? If seems like chains would be a good idea regardless. I’ve learned about towing the hard way from forums and personal experience with a couple F150s I’ve had. I’m new to the world of off-roading though and am trying to figure it out.
I'm new as well, but have been binge-watching Matt's Off-road recovery YouTube channel and back-filling with Ronny Dahl's YT channel as well. Seems like good recovery content there.

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When the snow is deep, some times it will build up under the vehicle and actually high center you.
When I go to our camp, I take it slow in 4H with no locker on. If I feel a lot of resistance I stop and decide out the next step.

I figure if you can't get through with 4H, you can usually get out with the rear locked or 4L with rear locker.

I also carry a snow rake in the event of questionable drifts. You can move a lot of snow with a snow rake with minimal effort.

Sponsored

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Biggest variable aside from tires is driver experience driving in deep snow. One thing to know it is easier going in then coming out with a set of tracks already made. A foot of snow on a remote road is not a good place to learn

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

....and the low hanging fuel tank will act like a sled potentially high centering. Bring chains, a shovel, and if schooled a handy man jack.

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Apparently, the owners manual doesn’t recommend snow chains for the Black Diamond per another thread. I haven’t figured out why yet. Winches aren’t easy to find for Black Diamonds with the Modular bumper either without custom fabrication, which requires a reasonable amount of skill given the 10,000 pound ratings. Seems like having have another capable vehicle for recovery is the best option at this point.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it's a real 12" (not man inches) the Bronco does not have 12" of ground clearance. If you had far to go you would be plowing snow ahead which could eventually build up and leave you high centered.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Apparently, the owners manual doesn’t recommend snow chains for the Black Diamond per another thread. I haven’t figured out why yet. Winches aren’t easy to find for Black Diamonds with the Modular bumper either without custom fabrication, which requires a reasonable amount of skill given the 10,000 pound ratings. Seems like having have another capable vehicle for recovery is the best option at this point.
Yeah, the manual recommends chains only on vehicles with 255 tires (then only on the rear), part of the reason I went Big Bend. That said, I'm sure (well pretty sure), the 265's on the BD would be fine, it's only a 1/4" each way.
Sponsored