Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I wired the NEG side of my winch, I bolted it to the open hole on the Neg battery post on the "outside" of the battery management sensor.

I believe that is how the directions even state to do it IF you went with the factory Warn option.

But I got me thinking so while using my google-foo, I ran across this thread...

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ibs-and-winch-power-connections.30496/

Where they are basically saying in the case of the new Rams, their Battery Sensor is only rated at 200-ish amps and pulling the 300+ amps a winch requires will burn it out.

I can't find any specs on ours. Looking at mine, the part number is "ML3T-10C652-BA". Also, looking at our battery setup, it would be pretty difficult to wire a thick cable directly to that little bolt/nut on the actual battery clamp....it is like Ford really wants you to put any (-) accessories on the outside/downstream of that battey sensor.

So I guess I'm curious how people have wired the Negative cable (aftermarket OR Factory) and if anyone who has actually used their winch and put a load on it has had any Battey Management issues afterwards?

Ford Bronco Winch Wiring and the Battery Management System 20240120_075746
Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran my neg to a body ground bolt. All my lighting etc, is done the same way. In the old days I would run back to the neg of the battery, but with all the new BMS systems etc I figure it is better to use a body ground.

I also ran my winch power to a relay run off switch 1 on the AUX panel. That way I can turn it on when I needed it and off when not needed.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ran my neg to a body ground bolt. All my lighting etc, is done the same way. In the old days I would run back to the neg of the battery, but with all the new BMS systems etc I figure it is better to use a body ground.

I also ran my winch power to a relay run off switch 1 on the AUX panel. That way I can turn it on when I needed it and off when not needed.
Well if you are using a ground bolt, then I believe you are on the downstream side of the sensor just like I am... Albeit more obscure.

Every ground in the vehicle goes through the BMS unless you bypass it by going directly to the battery post clamp.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh and to add something interesting, it was mention in that RAM thread, that bypassing the Management system would allow things to ground themselves via the winch and could cause problems.

Hopefully Ford took the power draw of a winch into account when they designed the system for off road use (cough cough Lift Me)

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I wired the NEG side of my winch, I bolted it to the open hole on the Neg battery post on the "outside" of the battery management sensor.

I believe that is how the directions even state to do it IF you went with the factory Warn option.

But I got me thinking so while using my google-foo, I ran across this thread...

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ibs-and-winch-power-connections.30496/

Where they are basically saying in the case of the new Rams, their Battery Sensor is only rated at 200-ish amps and pulling the 300+ amps a winch requires will burn it out.

I can't find any specs on ours. Looking at mine, the part number is "ML3T-10C652-BA". Also, looking at our battery setup, it would be pretty difficult to wire a thick cable directly to that little bolt/nut on the actual battery clamp....it is like Ford really wants you to put any (-) accessories on the outside/downstream of that battey sensor.

So I guess I'm curious how people have wired the Negative cable (aftermarket OR Factory) and if anyone who has actually used their winch and put a load on it has had any Battey Management issues afterwards?

Ford Bronco Winch Wiring and the Battery Management System 20240120_075746
My negative is connected same as yours outside the BMS. No idea if this is bad. Like you say, only way to be upstream of the BMS is on the negative battery post.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Soo have someone with an Everglades see how the neg is connected along with checking the part # of the BMS but suspect its the same.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Soo have someone with an Everglades see how the neg is connected along with checking the part # of the BMS but suspect its the same.
Good idea.. I had downloaded the factory installation manual for the Ford winch and that is how they have it wired up. But I have not specifically asked on an Everglades.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah . That's exactly what I saw when I downloaded the installation manual as well.

Another member just posted that he got his everglade so I asked him to confirm as well as what part number for the sensor he has.

I'll have to wait and see what he says.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fyi ..the member with the new 24 everglades took a pic of their wiring... Identical and same part number for the sensor.

Good to go!
Sponsored