Sponsored

Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great, now someone is going to attempt to start a fire in a tin can the night before to keep their vehicle warm overnight.

(Disclaimer: Do not attempt)
And here's a live look at the inside of my Zuk

37453.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in SLC too - on the plus side if I ever get my bronco it'll give me a reason to kick the wife's car out of the garage - "but honey, the doors won't open....."

I'm more concerned about the ski days - even on my subaru the doors can be tough after sitting in the parking lot all day in a blizzard with just enough heat in the car when you park it to melt then freeze everything in place.

Does the back open?
Yes the back opens fine, but on my cross country trip I did have an issue with water building up behind the gasket on the MIC top and freezing, popping the gasket off in a couple spots

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve had my 2 door Black Diamond for a little under a month now, and I’m noticing a semi-serious issue.
When there is ice or snow, the windows don’t roll down so the doors can be opened.

I encountered this issue on a cross country drive two weeks ago, and mentioned it in my trip summary post.

We just had one of our first real snows of the year here in Salt Lake City, and I had the same issue.
I was prepared this time, leaving my ice scraper in my apartment so I wouldn’t have to open the doors to get it. But it didn’t matter. Even after clearing the built up ice and snow, and making sure the window was clear, it still failed to roll down properly when I opened the door.
Now there was a lot of ice, as it was rain earlier in the day, and switched to snow in the evening, but still, if you don’t have a garage and deal with snow this is a problem.

Not sure what the solutions are, other than making sure the window is COMPLETELY clear of all ice and snow.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Ford Bronco Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors) 37453
This may help to reset windows hold window down button for 10 seconds then hold window up for 10 seconds repeat 3 times

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve had my 2 door Black Diamond for a little under a month now, and I’m noticing a semi-serious issue.
When there is ice or snow, the windows don’t roll down so the doors can be opened.

I encountered this issue on a cross country drive two weeks ago, and mentioned it in my trip summary post.

We just had one of our first real snows of the year here in Salt Lake City, and I had the same issue.
I was prepared this time, leaving my ice scraper in my apartment so I wouldn’t have to open the doors to get it. But it didn’t matter. Even after clearing the built up ice and snow, and making sure the window was clear, it still failed to roll down properly when I opened the door.
Now there was a lot of ice, as it was rain earlier in the day, and switched to snow in the evening, but still, if you don’t have a garage and deal with snow this is a problem.

Not sure what the solutions are, other than making sure the window is COMPLETELY clear of all ice and snow.

CB9014F6-140A-41FB-B3B0-CF379437683D.jpeg
@

Ford Bronco Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors) 37453
@Ford Motor Company
Besides all of our normal bitching and moaning about things that might not be important, this is a real issue. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can find a solution that works because winter snow and ice is a real thing.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@

@Ford Motor Company
Besides all of our normal bitching and moaning about things that might not be important, this is a real issue. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can find a solution that works because winter snow and ice is a real thing.
This is a real issue but it is not specific to Bronco. A little creative thinking will get you in far faster than complaining.

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just watched a video on YouTube of a guy in a JL in Colorado that ran tubes from his AC vents into his jacket so he could go doors off year round.

Problem solved.

Sanner

Wildtrak
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you my brother for bringing up this topic… I’m a northerner and this thought had crossed my mind a few times as well. Sometimes it’s not just as easy as deicing… I suppose I’ll have to think a couple minutes ahead and use the remote start to warm things up… but being a dude myself I understand the idea of thinking ahead is sometimes quite a challenge… 🤪

in the meantime these are all dreams along side the sugar plums as I’m still waiting… with a 01/03 build date projection for my 2 door wildtrack lux…

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in Reno and our weather is similar to yours in SLC. I’ve used a piece of waterproof nylon cut 6” to 8” bigger than the window and frame and then sewn in rare earth magnets around the edge. Place it over the window and secure to the body with the magnets on the few snow days and it should help to keep snow and ice from building up around the window frame. It worked okay unless we had a storm with high winds then it wouldn‘t stay put consistently.

I no longer park outside so I don’t have a picture to post since I don’t have the thing anymore.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good idea but aren't the doors non-magnetic aluminum?

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good idea but aren't the doors non-magnetic aluminum?
Good point and the soft top or MIC top are definitely not magnetic either :unsure:. It worked on my late 80’ Ranger though;)

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes.
This frequently happens when you park outdoors with any vehicle in winter conditions.

Did you move from somewhere that did not have cold winters to a place where it does ice or snow?

OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes.
This frequently happens when you park outdoors with any vehicle in winter conditions.

Did you move from somewhere that did not have cold winters to a place where it does ice or snow?
I actually moved to somewhere with more mild winters, I lived in Maine and upstate NY before coming to Salt Lake.

There were times when my Xterra was coated in 1/4” of ice, and I had to basically cut the ice to get the doors open.

The issue I have is the fact that the frameless doors require the windows to roll down to open properly. Obviously I’m able to get the doors open, but I’m not a fan of forcing it, and you can hear the window motor stain because it’s frozen.

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just another reason why I live in the south.
I lived on the Canadian border from 2007 - 2020 and freezing windows happened all winter long. Moved to Tennessee in 2020 for the mild winters and that's when my window finally broke on the only day it froze shut all winter.
Sponsored