Sponsored

Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors)

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I considered this becoming an issue. That is why I am preparing my garage to house the Bronco for the icy/snowy nights. Between that and the ice/snow build up on the rear fender and not being able to open the doors...looks like another reason to pine for a 2DR one day...

#4DRPROBLEMS
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ice scraper...

*edit*
If there's no ice build up at the top and there's none at the bottom, I can't explain why your windows didn't lower.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lived on the Canadian border from 2007 - 2020 and freezing windows happened all winter long. Moved to Tennessee in 2020 for the mild winters and that's when my window finally broke on the only day it froze shut all winter.
Well, in that case you should play the lottery.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone tried a spray deicer like CRCs Ice-Off?

You can also make your own by mixing 2 parts isopropyl alcohol with 1 part water. Mix it in a spray bottle and add a few drops of dish soap per cup of fluid. It's may take a couple minutes or so, but it usually works.

Oh yea Bronco!

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10/21/214dr BB, 2.7, A51. & ‘90 Wrangler V6 MT 4.2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Several others having the same issue. Try putting a thin film of food grade silicone grease on the rubber gasket.
I lubed the weatherstripping with spray silicone and it didn’t seem to make any difference with the window freezing. I may apply it again, more liberally to the window frame seal and see if that helps any. I’m in MI, as is Ford, and I keep wondering wtf ford was thinking with this.

Sponsored

Oh yea Bronco!

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10/21/214dr BB, 2.7, A51. & ‘90 Wrangler V6 MT 4.2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Many of you don't understand. The window is not stuck to the rubber. If it's anything like my truck, here in northern Wisconsin, the window mechanism is frozen inside the door. Moisture gets inside the door and freezes during our cold nights. If I ever get a Bronco, I'll probably deal with this for about 4 months each year.
One way to ‘winterize’ a vehicle for this exact situation is to apply spray silicone to the window tracks. There’s plenty of guidance on the internet about how to do this. Give it a try!

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s a design issue that is worse on some frameless windowed vehicles than others. I’ve had hundreds of ski days when it was snowing with my 2015 Tesla Model S parked outside all day and it has only only happened once(in an ice storm) with 126k miles on the odometer. I live in Minnesota and drive it year round as my daily driver until my 7/20/20 reservation Bronco arrives in another winter or two, lol. Hopefully this won’t be a regular problem with the Bronco but I won’t be surprised if it is. As already mentioned, there is silicone spray and other tricks but it’s not completely fixable on some vehicles.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Personally, I'm going to plug in my block heater to a timer so I have nice warm coolant at startup (remote) for easy deicing. It is what I used to do with my Dodge with CTD...that thing would start in the coldest temps but would take forever to actually warm up unless you used the block heater.

It is overkill for our state, but mine will sit outside while the wife's vehicle and the '75 get the garage. Also, I like the idea of dropping the windows slightly when shutting down with an impending snow/ice. That would be all the time if I lived in the frozen north.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would just make sure in your winter survival pack (anyone in the north should make one and keep it in their car) some caned de-icer spray. I would be shocked if it is related to the top of the window freezing into the channel. More likely it is related to ice build-up under the lip at the top of the door where it touches the glass. Water can get trapped there and when it's frozen it can squeeze the glass making it much harder for the motor to move. Add a very cold day which reduces the electric power available from the battery, and the motor can struggle.

Spray some de-icer at the bottom of the window on the outside, that ice will get melted and the pressure reduced.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it makes you all feel better my C6 Corvette windows didn't recess properly so I was not able to open the doors..... And this was in the summer:ROFLMAO: lol

Sponsored

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Move to Arizona. More fun Bronco trails too!

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same storm, same issue, just one state over... it would seem that the issue is ice inside the door preventing the window from rolling down. The second day, all the ice had melted off but whatever was left inside the door refroze when it dropped to 8 degrees the next night. I still got the door open although it's probably not the best for the seals to just pull the window past.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hell my windows don't drop fast enough and its 80' here. Absolutely hate this design and implementation.
Sponsored