Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last time I went to Safelite their tech got black RTV all over the upholstery, and they denied having anything to do with it when I came back into the shop with it all over my ass and smeared all over the seat.

The only good thing about it was it was the work truck, not my personal truck. But I still wasn't happy, and it was a nice truck that I took pretty good care of regardless.

I have a good local shop that does my glass now, a good deal cheaper than Safelite.

That said, I always try to get the repair done - it's way cheaper and faster. They can usually get it done in like 20 minutes. My insurance will do that for free, whereas I have a deductible for replacement. But you will still see the spot. If it's in the middle of the glass or something I'd still try the repair first, and if it's absolutely unbearable after a week -- oh no, another rock just fell out of the tree.
It feels like Safelite might hire some losers in some locations... 🙀 I don't know if the one in Lewisville is any good. On the other hand, my neighbor is going a few hours earlier than me, so hopefully I'll get the lowdown before I go.

I have Progressive and don't see I have any specific coverage; they have a FAQ that says it's covered by comprehensive, which I have. But it has a $1k deductible. So I should call and see if there's some exception.
Sponsored

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m somewhat biased as my brother owned an auto glass shop for many years. They typically do most auto body shop work and dealer work. Safelite is tied to the insurance industry so when you call your insurance, that’s normally where they send you. The service can be hit or miss. But that’s somewhat the same anywhere now. At least with an independent, you know where they are.
We have some other glass shops around, like Glass Dr, but I know less about those even than I know about SafeLite (just the commercials).

What do mean by "At least with an independent, you know where they are."?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Suggestion, avoid Safelite like the black plague. Find an independent shop and have it done there.

Why?

Here's why:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/safelite-windshield-replacement-leads-to-worse-damage.66505/

Or just do it yourself. the Permetex kit is pretty easy to use and is good at keeping spiders from spreading
My local "independent" shop used OEM glass for about the same price as "the others" aftermarket.
He also advised to NOT use aftermarket as the ones he saw, he did NOT like the fit and finish.
I've used the same guy several times over the years, replacements and repairs.
Never an issue.

A repair may do an excellent job of hiding the damage, but it will still be visible.

Often times, line of sight damage is a "replace only" type of thing. Might depend on State laws or insurance requirements.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the crack. It's directly in the line of sight of the passenger.

Ford Bronco Windshield repair advice IMG_2629

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just had mine replaced this week, these broncos only need a dynamic camera reset so it can be done at your home, no need to take it in for Safelite. I have had several done by the same shop and always did great work so finding the good shops is key.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had mine replaced. Cost the trucking company that was dumping rocks all over the road $930. Make sure the shop is very careful not to peel the vin up as it has happened to a member on here and ford is no help in replacing it.

IMG_9507.jpeg

IMG_9506.jpeg

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had mine replaced. Cost the trucking company that was dumping rocks all over the road $930. Make sure the shop is very careful not to peel the vin up as it has happened to a member on here and ford is no help in replacing it.

IMG_9507.jpeg

IMG_9506.jpeg
Most of the state of Texas surface road rocks are produced at nearby quarries (around Chico, TX). Many, many, many times I've been behind rock haulers that have rocks flying out. I know it probably annoys some people, but I really try to stay a good 10 car lengths behind semis. I get really annoyed if I have to pull behind one. What a menace! lol

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Most of the state of Texas surface road rocks are produced at nearby quarries (around Chico, TX). Many, many, many times I've been behind rock haulers that have rocks flying out. I know it probably annoys some people, but I really try to stay a good 10 car lengths behind semis. I get really annoyed if I have to pull behind one. What a menace! lol
My wife was driving, she was two semi lengths behind the dump truck and was still getting pelted. She had video of it all happening and the company stepped up and took care of it.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

We have some other glass shops around, like Glass Dr, but I know less about those even than I know about SafeLite (just the commercials).

What do mean by "At least with an independent, you know where they are."?
Safelite is moving to mostly mobile now. They started out like most with brick and mortar but have moved to more mobile as it’s more economical.

Sponsored
OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Safelite is moving to mostly mobile now. They started out like most with brick and mortar but have moved to more mobile as it’s more economical.
Oh I see.

WIBOG

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got one of those films put on my windshield when i bought my '22. $650. that was feburary '24, just got a crack yesterday. they told me to get an estimate from safelite ($189) , they said someone would contact me within 3-5 days to schedule fix. my cost 0. oh, they claim they gave me the insurance for free when i financed?
Sponsored