Sponsored

Windshield wipers are driving me crazy!!!

Limpetman

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

OK...so I know from previous posts that there are many Bronco owners who are in the same boat as me...our windshield wipers, when on low or high continuous setting will, after about 40 seconds, stop working or revert to intermittent. :mad:

This first happened to me when it was raining heavily on the highway and scared the hell out of me!!!

My dealer and Ford have both come back with the same response and that the windshield wipers on the Bronco are "smart" and will slow down if they experience resistence to prevent possible damage to the motor...resistance apparently includes "heavy rain or snow"...so the time when you actually need to windshield wipers to be working they will slow up...CRAZY!

I'm just interested to know if anyone has managed to find a solution?
Sponsored

BobRandall

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did Rain-X actually work? The "smart" wipers and dumb as hell. WTF were they thinking? I had the same issue with them stopping in the middle of a heavy rain. Total BS.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m still waiting so no first hand experience here.

However the more I read about windshield wiper issues the more I think owners should start reporting this to NHTSA.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did Rain-X actually work? The "smart" wipers and dumb as hell. WTF were they thinking? I had the same issue with them stopping in the middle of a heavy rain. Total BS.
I haven’t done it for a while but previous vehicles with rain-x rarely even needed the use of windshield wipers. Water beaded up and streamed away on its own.

Sponsored

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak 23 Bas Squatch 93 Mustang 87 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes this is a safety hazard !! Happened to me today heavy snow sleet . WTF Ford ... This is BS!! Wipers practically quit working. There's going to be a lawsuit over this I'm sure it's horrible never seen anything like this with wipers. Not very smart wipers when you can't see out of windshield.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I’ve done to other vehicles is use car wax to wax the windshield. First I tried it as an experiment on half the windshield for ease of bug removal during the summer. It seemed to help for about 2 weeks for bugs, the bonus was water sheeted off very well.

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What I’ve done to other vehicles is use car wax to wax the windshield. First I tried it as an experiment on half the windshield for ease of bug removal during the summer. It seemed to help for about 2 weeks for bugs, the bonus was water sheeted off very well.
Why the hell should I have to wax or Rain-X my windshield to keep the wipers working.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The annoying thing about these "smart" wipers is I'm not aware of any previous epidemic of windshield wipers failing...

I'm only in the snow on occasion. So I'm fortunate to not really need to deal with this issue.

I did put the film from www.grab-gard.com into mine, and then put a ceramic coating over that. Snow just kind of falls off really easily now, so it's at least a temporary fix to their silly wipers function.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it starts doing it again, reset it and count the number of wipes before it happens again. It will be the same number of wipes every time. It’s not sensing resistance, it’s some F-Ed programming Ford has loaded.

And in the history of NEVER have I seen a wiper motor that needs overheat protection.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven’t done it for a while but previous vehicles with rain-x rarely even needed the use of windshield wipers. Water beaded up and streamed away on its own.

Yeah. I hate wipers and keep my windows rain-Xed all the time. Rarely even need them unless it's really coming down hard.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why the hell should I have to wax or Rain-X my windshield to keep the wipers working.

He didn't say you did. Just offered an immediate solution to an obvious problem. It's up to you how you want to address your issue. If I couldn't see out my window, I think I'd do something about it other than complain, which rarely does anything.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My dealer and Ford have both come back with the same response and that the windshield wipers on the Bronco are "smart" and will slow down if they experience resistence to prevent possible damage to the motor...resistance apparently includes "heavy rain or snow"...so the time when you actually need to windshield wipers to be working they will slow up...CRAZY!
Boy, that sounds an awful lot like the sound of smoke being blown up somebody’s ass to me.

Ford is, what, 100 years old now? Out of all the millions of vehicles they’ve built over the past century - has there ever been a widespread problem with wiper motors being damaged due to rain and snow loads? Suddenly, they feel the need to get out ahead of this problem that nobody has? At the expense of safety?

If they are telling you the truth - then this is the kind of “smart feature” that we will all soon be seeing a recall for to remove it. Hopefully, before somebody get’s hurt or killed.

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

He didn't say you did. Just offered an immediate solution to an obvious problem. It's up to you how you want to address your issue. If I couldn't see out my window, I think I'd do something about it other than complain, which rarely does anything.
I get his immediate solution . Point is shouldn't have to come up with a solution Ford should not have put a product out like this. Yeah complaining nobody does that on here. Lol

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK...so I know from previous posts that there are many Bronco owners who are in the same boat as me...our windshield wipers, when on low or high continuous setting will, after about 40 seconds, stop working or revert to intermittent. :mad:

This first happened to me when it was raining heavily on the highway and scared the hell out of me!!!

I'm just interested to know if anyone has managed to find a solution?
Yes, after a couple of times at the dealership, I went there when it was raining and took the service tech for a ride with me to SHOW him what it was doing as they could not recreate the issue in the garage with a shower head rigged up to a stand with a garden hose pouring water onto the windshield. After the quick road trip in the rain, they decided to replace my wiper motor.

...fixed!
Sponsored