First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, JL, Hummer H1,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Since I have the same problem… just thinking loud, I always read the wiper motor is load sensitive, but how would it then know when to start if the rain comes back?
Sponsored

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I made a reply to this post earlier. I have the same issue. @Ford Motor Company reached out to me on the forum, called me and advised I schedule an appointment with the dealership. I dropped it off last Friday and just picked it up yesterday. The dealership was 'not able to replicate the issue" and stated the "wipers are working as intended". Luckily they were not asking for any money, but I was without my daily driver for a few days.

Not sure how accurate this is, but while the Bronco was at the dealer, I checked my Ford Pass app to see the location of my Bronco. It moved twice on Friday when I dropped it off, and then sat in the same spot in the parking lot until Wednesday when I picked it up. I just have a feeling they looked it once, couldn't figure it out, and then just had it sit. Not too happy with that. I guess I will continue to vocalize the dangers of this issue and hope that a recall comes out of it so it can properly get fixed.

EDIT: Tried to create a report under nhtsa and it is stating unrecognized VIN. I have validated it is the correct VIN, not sure what is up...

My dealership first came back with the line about them being rain sensing, to which I said, I’m pretty sure they aren’t. Then they said it was a feature built in to save the wiper motors from over working. I saw that one in this thread too so I told them there is no way they are supposed to work like this. After talking with Ford again, they said Ford asked them to run diagnostics from the wiper switch all the way back to the wiper motors, my service advisor said there were more than 30 points of connection to test. Turns out it is the wiper motors. The wiper motor is on back order. But that is the fix I’ve read about on this thread. I’m pretty confident that the new wiper motor will be the fix. I will let you know for sure once they install it.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I have the same problem… just thinking loud, I always read the wiper motor is load sensitive, but how would it then know when to start if the rain comes back?
It’s not. That is what they keep saying but it is a ridiculous idea. Have you ever heard of burnt out wiper motors? If you have, I’m sure it’s a rare event.

Grant3168

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 G37, 2006 G35
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealership first came back with the line about them being rain sensing, to which I said, I’m pretty sure they aren’t. Then they said it was a feature built in to save the wiper motors from over working. I saw that one in this thread too so I told them there is no way they are supposed to work like this. After talking with Ford again, they said Ford asked them to run diagnostics from the wiper switch all the way back to the wiper motors, my service advisor said there were more than 30 points of connection to test. Turns out it is the wiper motors. The wiper motor is on back order. But that is the fix I’ve read about on this thread. I’m pretty confident that the new wiper motor will be the fix. I will let you know for sure once they install it.
Thanks! Please let me/us know if that fixes it. I haven’t had it fixed yet and just avoid going out in heavy rain

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealership first came back with the line about them being rain sensing, to which I said, I’m pretty sure they aren’t. Then they said it was a feature built in to save the wiper motors from over working. I saw that one in this thread too so I told them there is no way they are supposed to work like this.
From the Owner's Manual:
WIPER PRECAUTIONS

The vehicle is equipped with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, usage on dry windshields or obstructions to the wiper blade due to snow or ice accumulation on the windshield.
In such conditions, the wiper motor may restrict its speed, reduce area of cleaning or completely stop operation. System returns back to normal operation mode once conditions are resolved.

Do not operate the wipers on a dry windshield. This could scratch the glass or damage the wiper blades. Use the windshield washers before wiping a dry windshield.
Fully defrost the windshield before you switch the windshield wipers on.
Switch the windshield wipers off before entering a car wash.

Mine did this again today, I'm going to leave my wipers up for awhile to see if I can stretch the springs a bit.

Sponsored

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone researched the Wiper Motor part number? For a new one to have been developed, the part number would have been revised. If its not changed then the motor is the same as it is from new. How can a new motor fix the problem if they are all bad?

I suppose, if there happens to be a bad batch running from one serial number through a series to another, possibly due to bad assembly or motor windings. But this problem seems to be fairly widespread through the range, not limited to production dates.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the Owner's Manual:

Mine did this again today, I'm going to leave my wipers up for awhile to see if I can stretch the springs a bit.

There is no way wipers are supposed to work like this. Mine stop 40 seconds after turning them on. Every time. It has nothing to do with the amount of moisture on the windshield. I have a hard time believing Ford really thinks it makes sense to put drivers and passengers in harm’s way to protect the wiper motor. I’m hopeful the new wiper motor I am waiting for does not have this advanced feature.

SwissBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, JL, Hummer H1,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why do they use the same three raindrops symbol on the stalk as on other Ford vehicles with working rain sensible wipers??
Terrible job Ford.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is no way wipers are supposed to work like this. Mine stop 40 seconds after turning them on. Every time. It has nothing to do with the amount of moisture on the windshield. I have a hard time believing Ford really thinks it makes sense to put drivers and passengers in harm’s way to protect the wiper motor. I’m hopeful the new wiper motor I am waiting for does not have this advanced feature.
I agree, and this issue has had me seriously considering getting rid of the Bronco. However, in recent posts, I have brought up my theory that the wiper arm spring is too stiff and creating too much pressure on the blade, thus resulting in too much resistance when wiping. I hypothesize that stretching the springs will reduce the pressure resulting in a working wiper ;) If you haven't lifted up on your wipers, go do so and see how heavy they ;)

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah I noticed this but it hasn’t been super rainy so it hasn’t mattered as much. Was on the highway last weekend in like rain / snow mix and I had to keep cycling low / high because it would keep slowing down and I couldn’t see anything.

My fathers new GMC truck does the same thing it’s just not as bad.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We're dealing with one of these now. Spoke to FSE and hotline and according to them, have no widespread reports of issues. That may be confined to the hotline person or they've been told to STFU because it's being investigated. Customer called customer assistance and the idiot they spoke with said it was absolutely NOT normal. I think we're going to try a motor even though we feel it's operating as intended and have not seen it act up. If this doesn't "fix" the customer's concern, nothing more we can do until Ford comes out with a TSB or FSA.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, and this issue has had me seriously considering getting rid of the Bronco. However, in recent posts, I have brought up my theory that the wiper arm spring is too stiff and creating too much pressure on the blade, thus resulting in too much resistance when wiping. I hypothesize that stretching the springs will reduce the pressure resulting in a working wiper ;) If you haven't lifted up on your wipers, go do so and see how heavy they ;)
My thoughts are, Ford determined with the Windshield being upright, very little slope, more like a brick, they needed the motor protection feature. Not saying it was the right decision, actually stupid, hard to believe this problem did not show in in R&D. I use Rain X as a short term short term solution, works very well, even with the wipers off, I have not turned on the wipers since the application for fear of wiping the application clean. I'm hoping at some point Ford does offer a new wiper motor (with an engineeering design change and new part number suffix), or some reasonable solution to save a life!

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to try the Rain-X Silicone Wiper blade, AdvantEdge 17" blade 830017 or Endura 830117 or the Supreme 830517 we are supposed to get a lot of rain later today, its worth a try.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anything cheap and easy is worth a try - that's why I'm trying to ease the tension on the wiper arm springs. I'd really rather figure out a way to fix this that doesn't involve a dealership ripping into my brand new vehicle ;)

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is an interesting idea.
Sponsored