First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm having the same issue with my 22 Badlands Lux package as well. Something definitely needs to be addressed, especially with snow in the near future.
Bryon
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love everything about the Bronco (2022 2-Door Badlands Sasquatch, Lux, Nov 2022 Build Date) except the wipers. In fact, we are a bit afraid of driving in heavy rain, the constant fiddling needed with the switch is scary to keep the wipers going.

We noticed that when parked, when the wipers slow down to an intermittent mode, which gets longer and longer.

I really hope Ford comes up with something fast to make these more normal.

Last edited:

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got my Bronco in February and there were a couple times the wipers were wonky. But since then, they've been normal. 🤷‍♂️

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just had my 2022 BD in for service and asked them to check the wipers...of course, was told they are "smart wipers" and will automatically slow when sensing a "dry windshield" and they "cound not replicate issue"...mine does in during rain and snow. Here is a short video while I was coming home tonight...steady rain and snow
@Ford Motor Company what do you think??

RangerR

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak and Road Glide
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Glad you got the video, mine is a 23 and it does the same thing after about 30 seconds.

Sponsored

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Whoa... I had a really sketchy experience in my '22 Luxe OBX at highway speeds, drove into a insane downpour (like a microburst) that caught everybody by surprise.. traffic started slowing, but gradually as to not cause an accident. My wipers were doing great on high, then all of a sudden they slowed and I couldn't see anything. nothing. It scared the hell out me because I wasnt sure if I was braking enough for a moment or two. I didn't realize this was happening, I wrote it off to the flat windshield and bad aero. I slathered the hell out of the windshield with rainx, but that's not a long term solution by any means. Definitely watching this thread and will bring it with the dealer (who will have never heard of this before I'm sure)

Badsquatchman

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC and motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone else have a wiper control issue where at fast speeds the wipers start to slow down and seem to go intermittent. It almost impossible to see at times. You have to monkey around with it to keep them going.

UPDATE 2/20/22. Due to the large number of similar issues with wiper controls among Bronco owners in this forum. Please report to your local governing body before someone seriously gets hurt.

For Canadians:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

For Americans:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-release...urages-you-report-your-vehicles-safety-issues
Had same issue with my 2023 BL SAS HIGH tonight- had to fiddle with the controller to keep them going fast enough

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happened today in a pretty hard steady rain in my 23 Lux WT. Wipers on high and they slowed nearly to a stop 2-3 times. Turned them off and back on and finally they ran normally. Was in heavy traffic so was not ideal to have to focus on a wiper switch at the time.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I live in South Florida where we have a lot of thunder storms. My issue is not that they turn intermittent (hadn't even noticed that) but that the highest speed is just not fast enough even when on full speed and running properly.

Sponsored

p18303

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been having the same issue with my new 2022 Bronco 2 Door Badlands / Sasquatch package with Lux package. Driving in a heavy rain, the windshield wipers will go to intermittent or stop after 30 - 40 seconds when I put them in continuous low or continuous high modes. I have to keep turning then off and on again about once minute to keep them going. I think this is a safety issue. I have already filled out a report on the NHTSA website.

Has anyone having this problem had it remedied by the dealer?

I wanted to provide an update. I brought my vehicle to the Ford dealership. Of course, they did not find any problems with the wiper motor. They did say my Bronco has smart sensing wipers, which they turned off (they weren't sure if that was the culprit). We'll see if that does anything.

I also reported the issue with the NHTSA website as recommended by a previous poster Miket5r:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-release...urages-you-report-your-vehicles-safety-issues

There are currently 6 complaints filed with the NHTSA. The process was very easy, and I actually received a phone call a few days later from a representative at the Department of Transportation. I think if enough of us log complaints about this safety issue, Ford @Ford Motor Company will have to address it.

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I did an online chat with Ford and they are reaching out to my dealer with instructions...I will report what happens when I am contacted by the dealer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today there was a big storm in the Northeast. Right when going around a corner, the wipers did their slow down thing - going into a type of intermittent mode (although the length keeps increasing). It was very scary.

If they are truly rain-sensing by using drag against the windshield to lower speed, then why don't they come back to full cycling when it is raining hard out? We ONLY see them slowing, never have seen them speed back up due to heavy rain coming. We even tried simulating heavy rain by spraying water on the windshield - no faster response.

I really hope this gets sorted out. I hope everyone here shouts out the answer once they find it.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Isn’t just the “3 raindrop” position the rain sensing mode? Everything else should work like you set it? Or do different trim levels have different positions on the stalk?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t just the “3 raindrop” position the rain sensing mode? Everything else should work like you set it? Or do different trim levels have different positions on the stalk?
While I am not 100% certain, I very much believe that the 3 rain drops and the 1 rain drop are simply icons meaning light rain to heavier rain settings for the intermittent mode. I do not believe the Bronco (any of the new Broncos) have an official rain sensing mode - it is not listed on the sticker.

It does seem that the Bronco comes with some "smart" technology to save wiper motor from overload:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/SSM50692

Although wiper motors seem quite strong and capable.

While it seems that while it may be a good idea to lower the motor load by reducing wiper speed and go into a secondary type of intermittent mode, I have never seen them come back into normal or faster intermittent mode on their own when there is heavier rain.

Also we have seen them go into this load saving mode while there is significant rain. This is the part that scares us when driving in heavy rain on twisty roads with traffic.

There are some times when they behave in a conventional manner too, it seems there is no rhyme or reason to get them into acting like normal, sometimes it just happens.

I hope Ford develops a solution for this.
Sponsored

Last edited: