5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Picked up a light kit for my Raptor. I don't have my Raptor yet so I'm just reading up for installing when it arrives. All looks pretty clear except I'm unsure on how to wire in the backlight since it's a separate lead I'll need to hook up.

I'd like to have them wired to come on automatically instead of hooking them up to an upfitter switch. What additional parts would I need to be able to accomplish that goal? Are there any harnesses/adapters that allow me to easily tap in to a switched power source and trigger a relay? Any easy pre-built relays w/wiring to use for this purpose?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What exactly is a backlight?

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What exactly is a backlight?
It's a dimmer light that glows vs. throwing light. Almost like a parking light if that makes sense. Some aftermarket lights offer this as a feature that runs off a separate wire in the harness.

This is a picture of some Bajas with the backlight on.

Ford Bronco Wiring Diode Dynamics backlights for Raptor as on when vehicle is on image__76294.1644266918

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks. I'd still need to fuse that lead or use it to trigger a relay, right? I not thinking it'd be possible to just directly connect that lead up to the 3 backlight wires in the wiring harness. is it?
You shouldn't need a fuse.

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You shouldn't need a fuse.
Shows may lack of full familiarity, just wondered if using that lead to power backlight for 3 lights (planning that I'd get two of those adapters to have one on each side headlight) may be a bit much. And if wire sheathing were cut/abraded and shorted that seems it could damage headlight if no inline fuse, right? Or is there already some protection built in the harness?

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shows may lack of full familiarity, just wondered if using that lead to power backlight for 3 lights (planning that I'd get two of those adapters to have one on each side headlight) may be a bit much. And if wire sheathing were cut/abraded and shorted that seems it could damage headlight if no inline fuse, right? Or is there already some protection built in the harness?
You’ll only need one adapter tied into one headlight to power all 6 of your fog lights. The headlight itself has a fuse, so tapping into that circuit should be fine. Honestly, I’d ask SPV, the maker of the harness, to further clarify about the need for an inline fuse if you still have doubts.

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also want to do this eventually so in reading up on it, some are tying it to their upfitter switch but I didn't want to do that and wanted them to come on automatically. You can also connect it to a 12V switched power but I didn't wanna chance loading/drawing too much current from tapping into an existing wire so I went a different way, ended up adding a waterproof fuse box and relay to allow me to add multiple 12v switched circuits without having to worry about overloading the current wires. Is it a bit of overkill, probably, but to me I'd rather have something robust than hope it doesn't cause problems. I'm just waiting to find a set of fogs that I like, not really amused by what's out there right now but I'm ready for it when I do find something.

Ford Bronco Wiring Diode Dynamics backlights for Raptor as on when vehicle is on FBF075C1-8830-4365-9923-1E3F9163A503

The green wire is the incoming 12v switched power with 4 fuse slots ready to connect backlighting or whatever else I want. The fuse box and relay cost maybe $60 total so again to me it was worth it.

Ford Bronco Wiring Diode Dynamics backlights for Raptor as on when vehicle is on 6DE9F97E-A401-4510-BA94-5A644E665137

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I also want to do this eventually so in reading up on it, some are tying it to their upfitter switch but I didn't want to do that and wanted them to come on automatically. You can also connect it to a 12V switched power but I didn't wanna chance loading/drawing too much current from tapping into an existing wire so I went a different way, ended up adding a waterproof fuse box and relay to allow me to add multiple 12v switched circuits without having to worry about overloading the current wires. Is it a bit of overkill, probably, but to me I'd rather have something robust than hope it doesn't cause problems. I'm just waiting to find a set of fogs that I like, not really amused by what's out there right now but I'm ready for it when I do find something.

The green wire is the incoming 12v switched power with 4 fuse slots ready to connect backlighting or whatever else I want. The fuse box and relay cost maybe $60 total so again to me it was worth it.
Any specific relay you went with? What did you use for the switched input signal to the relay? I like the idea of having the multiple easy choices for switched outputs in the engine bay.

Sponsored

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any specific relay you went with? What did you use for the switched input signal to the relay? I like the idea of having the multiple easy choices for switched outputs in the engine bay.
Yea so you can't use just any relay. I read and found out that when your supply circuit turns off and the coil in the relay de-energizes, a reverse voltage shoots back into your supply circuit. Now if your supply circuit is a fan or pump circuit then no biggie, but I tapped into one of the 20-amp fuses in the box, I can't remember off the top of my head what it controlled but I'll check tomorrow, I think it was to like the coil packs or something. So anyway to protect your circuit from that back voltage you have to use a relay that has spike supression. It can done with either a resistor or diode to protect it against the spike. Out of all the relays on Amazon I only found TWO that had spike supression that fit what I needed, one was a 40/60 amp relay and the other was a 60/80 amp relay. I chose the 40/60 because I don't think I'll ever go over 60 amps! Here's what I used:

40/60 Amp Relay with Spike Suppression

Ford Bronco Wiring Diode Dynamics backlights for Raptor as on when vehicle is on Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 12.03.47 AM

Here's the post I did on my install if you wanna read up on it:
Switched 12v Fuse Block Installed

I mean I guess you COULD get by with just a normal relay but again I didn't wanna chance it myself. This relay can handle 40 amps in the normally closed position and 60 on the normally open position. And all the wiring I added for it is rated for at least 40 amps with an inline 40amp fuse installed to protect everything.

Oh yea and I have a 10-amp fuse installed in my add a fuse circuit to protect that wire, a 40-amp fuse coming off the battery and then plan on using either 5-amp or 10-amp fuses for my branch circuits. The fuse box itself can handle up to 80-amps total with 25 amps per circuit max, but again I'm not going to come anywhere near that so I'm good.

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks to all those who pointed me to @SPVPARTS ! I was hesitant to call and take up their time with a basic question but I'm glad I reached out to them. They are an awesome example of customer service, which is hard to find these days. John talked to me for well over an hour to explain how to wire up what I'm looking to do and also to talk about options to make it easy to expand and tie in other items in the future. I spent about an hour watching many of SPV's videos and love that harness system setup they have.

I know all my lighting purchases will be coming from @SPVPARTS from now on. Great people, great products, and awesome customer interactions. Wish I had known about them earlier.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks to all those who pointed me to @SPVPARTS ! I was hesitant to call and take up their time with a basic question but I'm glad I reached out to them. They are an awesome example of customer service, which is hard to find these days. John talked to me for well over an hour to explain how to wire up what I'm looking to do and also to talk about options to make it easy to expand and tie in other items in the future. I spent about an hour watching many of SPV's videos and love that harness system setup they have.

I know all my lighting purchases will be coming from @SPVPARTS from now on. Great people, great products, and awesome customer interactions. Wish I had known about them earlier.
Never talked to them, but I got their harness that taps into the parking lights for my back lit ditch/driving lights and some of their 1 to 2, 1 to 3 harnesses, and their upfitter wiring kit. Works great!
Sponsored