Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This really isn't an acceptable solution to expect customers to figure out a workaround for a wiring harness that should be plug-n-play. People pay for the "kit" and that kit should already be designed such that the lights are plugged in and the power/negative leads are attached.

I just unpacked my kit and I'm missing hardware to mount the lights on the brackets. And you sent 2 different wiring harnesses. I have no idea what to use and your YouTube channel doesn't have the complete install. I'm left to watch other channels to try and piece together a how-to install on the kit.

You may make assumptions that people have experience in retrofitting harnesses, but that is a poor assumption to make. I shouldn't have to buy a third harness from another vendor to accomplish the install. If I would have known your harness wasn't plug-n-play, I would have just bought the lights and harness from another vendor separate.
Hey Ken!

Just following up with your response. We didn't receive an alert on the forum with your product feedback regarding our kit. We take pride in customer satisfaction and truly apologize for the delayed response.

The video provided below explains the installation process regarding our SS3 Ditch Light Kit for the 2021 Ford Bronco. However, since the release, we've implemented our backlight feature which is new for 2022.

I've discussed your concern to our entire team and are looking into revising our wiring harness and I've also suggested to our media team to film our SS3 Ditch Light Kit installation in a separate video from our Aux Switch tutorial video.

If you have any questions or concerns. Please, go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at [email protected], and our service team would be happy to provide assistance in making the situation right.

Thank you for your support while we strive to make improvements to better our customers.

John C.
Social Media Community Manager
Diode Dynamics

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Ken!

Just following up with your response. We didn't receive an alert on the forum with your product feedback regarding our kit. We take pride in customer satisfaction and truly apologize for the delayed response.

The video provided below explains the installation process regarding our SS3 Ditch Light Kit for the 2021 Ford Bronco. However, since the release, we've implemented our backlight feature which is new for 2022.

I've discussed your concern to our entire team and are looking into revising our wiring harness and I've also suggested to our media team to film our SS3 Ditch Light Kit installation in a separate video from our Aux Switch tutorial video.

If you have any questions or concerns. Please, go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at [email protected], and our service team would be happy to provide assistance in making the situation right.

Thank you for your support while we strive to make improvements to better our customers.

John C.
Diode Dynamics
A seperate tutorial video for installing the SS3 backlit light would be great. I've ordered the SS3 backlit ditch lights for my Bronco and should be receiving them this week. I'm sure I'll figure out how to do it BUT a tutorial video from the product maker is a necessity. Hopefully you can get a video up quick.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A seperate tutorial video for installing the SS3 backlit light would be great. I've ordered the SS3 backlit ditch lights for my Bronco and should be receiving them this week. I'm sure I'll figure out how to do it BUT a tutorial video from the product maker is a necessity. Hopefully you can get a video up quick.

For the Backlight wire/wires if running aux switches and installing into that point you just select the switch you want them ran to (we choose 6) use a Butt Connector from a auto parts store to make the connection.

If you have any other questions I am happy to answer them!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the Backlight wire/wires if running aux switches and installing into that point you just select the switch you want them ran to (we choose 6) use a Butt Connector from a auto parts store to make the connection.

I'm glad that you responded as it was one of your videos made with the DD representative. The video even has as part of the caption for Part 2 which of course was never made. The first part only covered how to mount the lights and bracket with no wiring covered.

So I was left watching yours, DD, and other third party videos on the install of the lights and still have 2 wiring harness laying on my couch and no lights installed. This shouldn't be that hard.

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm glad that you responded as it was one of your videos made with the DD representative. The video even has as part of the caption for Part 2 which of course was never made. The first part only covered how to mount the lights and bracket with no wiring covered.

So I was left watching yours, DD, and other third party videos on the install of the lights and still have 2 wiring harness laying on my couch and no lights installed. This shouldn't be that hard.

If you run into any snags just shoot me a PM

I have no issues assisting!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey Ken!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
I just got off the phone with Logan. He will send a new set of hardware. But he has no resolution to the wiring harness. At this point, I'll be able to install the lights and brackets with no wiring as your "kit" is insufficient.

What a terrible customer service experience.

Diode Dynamics

First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just got off the phone with Logan. He will send a new set of hardware. But he has no resolution to the wiring harness. At this point, I'll be able to install the lights and brackets with no wiring as your "kit" is insufficient.

What a terrible customer service experience.
Hey Ken,

I just spoke with our engineering team and customer service team regarding our provided harness and you are correct.

Our team and I truly apologize for any frustration and we will be revising our included harness included with our SS3 Ditch Light Kit.

Please, sit tight as our customer service team will be reaching out tomorrow to arrange a custom harness that requires no modification for your SS3 Ditch Light installation.

Overall, thank you for addressing your concerns regarding our kit and helping Diode Dynamics improve our products for our customers.

John C.
Diode Dynamics

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@DiodeDynamics

Ok, I'm confused. Won't the backlit lights have 2 separate power leads to run the regular light and another for the backlight? So that would be 2 power leads and a negative lead. I would also be wiring to two aux switches not one. Does the wiring harness included in the "kit" cover this for the backlit lights? Or do I need to call the 1-800 number like Beach Bum?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@DiodeDynamics

Ok, I'm confused. Won't the backlit lights have 2 separate power leads to run the regular light and another for the backlight? So that would be 2 power leads and a negative lead. I would also be wiring to two aux switches not one. Does the wiring harness included in the "kit" cover this for the backlit lights? Or do I need to call the 1-800 number like Beach Bum?
I'm waiting to hear back from John at DD. Not sure what they will engineer, but I'm expecting an actual plug-n-play harness for the "kit" that I purchased.

My install will be as you described with using 2 AUX switches. I actually don't have a "use" for the pod lights, but more as insurance in the event of emergency. I'm involved in marine rescue for sea turtles and marine mammals. The only time I will ever use the lights is if in the case of an emergency. I don't drive at night otherwise. The backlight function will be used most of the time at dusk/dawn on patrol.

And for the record, calling the 1-800 number yielded no positive outcome other than the missing hardware to attach the lights to the brackets. Any effort to correct the harness is being initiated by John.

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@DiodeDynamics

You can twist those 2 loads together and put on one switch

The backlight draws very little power. There is no need for a ground for the backlight as it's integrated into the main circuit board in the light.

Diode Dynamics

First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@DiodeDynamics

You can wire it up in the way you're intending, with the harnesses that are already included. You are correct, it is two power wires going to two of your switches. All that's required is connecting the two power wires to the OEM Aux wires on your vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear back from John at DD. Not sure what they will engineer, but I'm expecting an actual plug-n-play harness for the "kit" that I purchased.
Just to make sure we're on the same page here - if you wish to connect anything to your factory OEM Aux switch wires, you still have to make a butt-joint connection to connect to those wires. They are bare leads, so "plug and play" connection is not physically possible.
We will be sending you a DD4093 harness with those butt splices already attached to remove one step out of the process for you.

If anyone else would like two butt splices and instructions to simplify their ditch light installation a bit, please feel free to reach out!

Thank you,
Paul

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just to make sure we're on the same page here - if you wish to connect anything to your factory OEM Aux switch wires, you still have to make a butt-joint connection to connect to those wires. They are bare leads, so "plug and play" connection is not physically possible.
We will be sending you a DD4093 harness with those butt splices already attached to remove one step out of the process for you.

If anyone else would like two butt splices and instructions to simplify their ditch light installation a bit, please feel free to reach out!

Thank you,
Paul
I've wanted to follow-up with the install. New harness was sent with the backlight wire connected together with a butt connector. The main positive wire had an incorrect spade connector that I had to remove. Went ahead and attached a butt connector and it should have installed fine. I guess my expectations were too high.

Even though I filtered the results on the DD website for blue backlighting, the product I purchased was the SS3 Sport with amber backlight. I made an assumption that the results filtered would only offer the products that met that filter's criteria. Made the call and they sent out a new pair of SS3 Sport with blue backlight along with a return label for the amber backlight sports. I went ahead and switched the lights.

Problem is that there seems to be a problem with the harness on the main wire. I tested both the Auxiliary wires that I intend to use. For my test, both wires successfully operated the backlight function when I tested each.
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install Auxilliary Wires both good

Two good Auxiliary wires.
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install Backlight wire

Backlight wire to that I used to test the two Auxiliary wires. (Masking tape was just a reminder for me not use that connection)
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install SS3 Main Light Wire

The main positive wire with the spade connector removed. (Not sure why there is a fuse on the line as the auxiliary wires are already wired to fuses.)
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install Main to Aux5

Touching the two hot wires should have illuminated the pods. (Vehicle was in accessory mode with the switches on.)
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install Main to Aux6

Same test and same results just on a different Auxiliary wire.

Not sure what my next recourse is to get these to work? I'm thinking it has to do with the inline fuse connection on the wiring harness?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IF you bypass the harnesses and run a jumper hot directly to each pod light's terminal, do you get illumination?
That would be my first course of action.
Just to rule out/narrow down whether you have some sort of defective harness going from the pods to the aux, or defective wiring in the lights themselves.

If not, run a ground jumper directly to the - battery side, and a hot jumper directly to the battery +, thereby also ruling out any grounding issues.

If you don't get illumination that way, then definitely some sort of defect internally on the pods themselves, as you have taken all other variables (bad harness, poor ground, poor crimp/wire engagement on the connectors) out of the equation.

I have found I had a bad crimp a few times in my life on stuff I've done, when I would have bet $ on them being just fine. And of course, it was AFTER getting everything routed nice, heatshrink applied, etc. I've learned a lesson or two.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IF you bypass the harnesses and run a jumper hot directly to each pod light's terminal, do you get illumination?
That would be my first course of action.
Just to rule out/narrow down whether you have some sort of defective harness going from the pods to the aux, or defective wiring in the lights themselves.

If not, run a ground jumper directly to the - battery side, and a hot jumper directly to the battery +, thereby also ruling out any grounding issues.

If you don't get illumination that way, then definitely some sort of defect internally on the pods themselves, as you have taken all other variables (bad harness, poor ground, poor crimp/wire engagement on the connectors) out of the equation.

I have found I had a bad crimp a few times in my life on stuff I've done, when I would have bet $ on them being just fine. And of course, it was AFTER getting everything routed nice, heatshrink applied, etc. I've learned a lesson or two.
I'll go ahead and troubleshoot it down to the most basic, but DD claims they test each set of lights before boxing up. And the fact that the backlighting works using the harness provided seems to indicate that the grounding is fine and the lights are operational.

My test on the main wire, I removed the butt connector that I added to replace the wrong spade connector that they sent it with. I did so to remove the variable that the crimp on the butt connector was wrong.
Sponsored