Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll go ahead and troubleshoot it down to the most basic, but DD claims they test each set of lights before boxing up. And the fact that the backlighting works using the harness provided seems to indicate that the grounding is fine and the lights are operational.

My test on the main wire, I removed the butt connector that I added to replace the wrong spade connector that they sent it with. I did so to remove the variable that the crimp on the butt connector was wrong.
Sounds solid.
I end up making my own harness using mostly supplied wiring and wrap at times.
You shouldn't HAVE to.
But it be like that sometimes.
It's why I have a wire spool rack, loom spools, rolls of heatshrink.
Sometimes supplied harnesses are legit perfect.
Often times though, not so much.
I've found grounded out terminals, uncrimped connectors, broken wires in supplied harnesses (not necessarily/specifically this particular brand) before for stuff. And usually the harnesses are a mile too long or 2 feet short. Or even worse, inches short when routed cleanly.

EDIT: not really sure I am helping at all with your root cause. Just more spitballing/ tales of trial and error more than anything. Hoping maybe something in there jumps out and give you an idea of an avenue of attack on it.
You are a quite capable guy, so probably already past anything I've mentioned.
Just with me, personally, I've found most supplied harnesses to be lacking in some shape of form.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Diode Dynamics

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not sure what my next recourse is to get these to work? I'm thinking it has to do with the inline fuse connection on the wiring harness?
You will need to first connect the main harness to battery power and ground. Then, powering one of the signal wires through the Auxiliary wire will provide power to the pods. We are still pulling power from the battery, because the auxiliary wires on the Bronco don't provide enough amperage to run many of our products.

This is described in the wiring instructions available here. The only difference is that you will be connecting the "switch" wires directly to your Auxiliary wires, in order to trigger power with those Auxiliary switches.

The fuse is included for added circuit protection. This is necessary due to potential liability on our end, and doesn't hurt anything.

Please feel free to email or call if you have additional questions. Thanks!

Paul

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will need to first connect the main harness to battery power and ground. Then, powering one of the signal wires through the Auxiliary wire will provide power to the pods. We are still pulling power from the battery, because the auxiliary wires on the Bronco don't provide enough amperage to run many of our products.

This is described in the wiring instructions available here. The only difference is that you will be connecting the "switch" wires directly to your Auxiliary wires, in order to trigger power with those Auxiliary switches.

The fuse is included for added circuit protection. This is necessary due to potential liability on our end, and doesn't hurt anything.

Please feel free to email or call if you have additional questions. Thanks!

Paul
And there you go again with giving directions for the 4-pin HD wiring harness that doesn't apply to Auxiliary Switch wiring. Not sure how that is relevant.

Diode Dynamics

First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And there you go again with giving directions for the 4-pin HD wiring harness that doesn't apply to Auxiliary Switch wiring. Not sure how that is relevant.
The harness is the same, whether you're connecting to Aux Switch or using the separate switch included with the harness. Again, The only difference is that you will be connecting the "switch" wires directly to your Auxiliary wires, in order to trigger power with those Auxiliary switches.

I'm really trying to assist here. You have everything necessary to install the lights without any wiring modification - I promise!

1. Connect positive lead (with fuse) to the positive battery/power terminal.
2. Connect negative black lead to a ground point.
3. Crimp each butt connector on the blue and yellow wire to an Auxiliary Switch wire of your choice.
4. Plug the outputs into each pod.

That's it!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The harness is the same, whether you're connecting to Aux Switch or using the separate switch included with the harness. Again, The only difference is that you will be connecting the "switch" wires directly to your Auxiliary wires, in order to trigger power with those Auxiliary switches.

I'm really trying to assist here. You have everything necessary to install the lights without any wiring modification - I promise!

1. Connect positive lead (with fuse) to the positive battery/power terminal.
2. Connect negative black lead to a ground point.
3. Crimp each butt connector on the blue and yellow wire to an Auxiliary Switch wire of your choice.
4. Plug the outputs into each pod.

That's it!
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install DSCF1926.JPG

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install DSCF1927.JPG

Just so others can follow along. Please identify the butt connectors.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those who are thinking about getting the Diode Dynamics kit.... we include our plug and play harness with the purchase of an a-pillar kit AND we have the harnesses available for sale separate.

It's a plug in harness that plugs right into the back of the light. On the other end we give you pre-terminated cables for the factory upfitter wires. So installation is really easy. If you get the back-lit version, we include a 3rd control wire for that back-lighting that you can connect to a 2nd upfitter. Installation is a breeze.

Pillar Kits are here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-dynamics-stage-series-ss3-ditch-light-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

And harnesses are here:

SS3 Non-Backlit: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...s-diode-dynamics-rigid-industries-kc-hilites/

SS3 Backlit and SSC2: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...arness-2x-dt-4-pin-connectors-diode-dynamics/

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install 1651961772405

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install 1651961777558

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install 1651961784991

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics SS3 backlights Install 1651961789906
Sponsored