First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just installed the PRO version of the Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights in my ‘24 WT.
Thoughts:
Pros:
Very nice lights, bright, nice back light, solid built
Cons:
New wiring upfitter harness is now a “universal” harness though I ordered specific for Bronco. Harness has NO short side/long side. End up with TONS of extra wire to try and stuff in the engine bay.
The relay can easily come unplugged. Had to wrap it to prevent it from coming unplugged. Why not wrap connections together? Mesh sleeve run through is a joke.
For what you pay for an upfitter harness was not impressed.

overall nice but what should have been an easy install was made 2X more difficult due to their harness.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just installed the PRO version of the Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights in my ‘24 WT.
Thoughts:
Pros:
Cons:
New wiring upfitter harness is now a “universal” harness though I ordered specific for Bronco. Harness has NO short side/long side. End up with TONS of extra wire to try and stuff in the engine bay.
The relay can easily come unplugged. Had to wrap it to prevent it from coming unplugged. Why not wrap connections together? Mesh sleeve run through is a joke.

overall nice but what should have been an easy install was made 2X more difficult due to their harness.
Was everything purchased direct through DD or a reseller/dealer?

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was everything purchased direct through DD or a reseller/dealer?
Direct from Diode Dynamics and was specific on the make/model etc. Disappointed in their harness assembly. I even called them to make sure I got the right harness as both sides were same length and was told I was sent their universal harness. No explanation if was a change or why. Very perplexing.

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bought my SS3 pros from 4x4truckleds and their harness was great. Plugged in the lights, proper length, and easy connection to the upfitter wire. I read elsewhere that the DD harness wasn’t as easy to use.

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bought my SS3 pros from 4x4truckleds and their harness was great. Plugged in the lights, proper length, and easy connection to the upfitter wire. I read elsewhere that the DD harness wasn’t as easy to use.
Sucks the actual manufacturer/seller sends subpar harnesses. I bought it on recommendation from a friend and his harness was not like mine.

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thoughts:
Pros:
Cons:

If you had ordered from us we provide a nice and clean upfitter harness. Really slick. We also include it free at no additional cost

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-dynamics-stage-series-ss3-ditch-light-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

The harness Diode includes with their a-pillar kit is universal. It's a switched and upfitter style harness. Unplug the switch and plug the upfitter one in. It pulls power from the battery but I've never had a relay fall out.. This allows them to sell these to both styles of trucks. It's a lot of EXTRA wiring though of course since it's a relay harness (which is not required on trucks with upfitters).

They do that because it's easier to sell and it's pretty much standard for all their a-pillar kits. They just change brackets out for different trucks but the lights/harness stay the same).

We focus on Broncos specifically and all of our kits are specific to Broncos or F150s or other trucks... we have tons of harnesses that we've designed for various vehicles to make it as simple as possible.

Next time you need lighting or accessories, check out our website

Ford Bronco SS3 Diode Dynamics Ditch lights. 1706627046304

Ford Bronco SS3 Diode Dynamics Ditch lights. 1706627050588

Ford Bronco SS3 Diode Dynamics Ditch lights. 1706627054526

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well ain’t that a kick in the light pod. Lol. How much for your harness? I would love to remove their miles of wires for a cleaner fit. Just blows my mind the actual manufacturer doesn’t sell a specific harness. their install video is very abbreviated and doesn’t show a customer all the wire, for good reason or no one would buy it from them. They must have changed to cut costs. SOAB! Thanks for letting me know and will definitely buy from you all in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Now you tell me. Haha. Live and learn! Thanks for the feedback.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well ain’t that a kick in the light pod. Lol. How much for your harness? I would love to remove their miles of wires for a cleaner fit. Just blows my mind the actual manufacturer doesn’t sell a specific harness. Even their install video uses a short/long side harness. They must have changed to cut costs. SOAB! Thanks for letting me know and will definitely buy from you all in the future.
Our harness is $45 - https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...arness-2x-dt-4-pin-connectors-diode-dynamics/

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just went through this with a vehicle-specific SS3 Pro kit DD7031 for my LWN. I probably have 14 different sets of Diode Dynamics lights, so I'm very experienced with their product line.

The "5202" OEM fog light plug supplied with DD's harness was absolute trash. In no universe would it seal the plug and hold it at all. Even with tape, it would have pushed out or vibrated loose.

I had to raid and chop the expensive Morimoto 2-Stroke 3.0 LEDs I was replacing for a 5202 connector that actually fit and held.

Ford Bronco SS3 Diode Dynamics Ditch lights. 20240112_180629[1]

This is unusual, because DD knows exactly what style plug to use for a 5202 as their SLF OEM replacement fog light LED uses the correct connector, the same way that the old XML2 5202 LED did prior to it's discontinuance.

Ford Bronco SS3 Diode Dynamics Ditch lights. 1706655560310

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I second this. Mine was great.

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just went through this with a vehicle-specific SS3 Pro kit DD7031 for my LWN. I probably have 14 different sets of Diode Dynamics lights, so I'm very experienced with their product line.

The "5202" OEM fog light plug supplied with DD's harness was absolute trash. In no universe would it seal the plug and hold it at all. Even with tape, it would have pushed out or vibrated loose.

I had to raid and chop the expensive Morimoto 2-Stroke 3.0 LEDs I was replacing for a 5202 connector that actually fit and held.

This is unusual, because DD knows exactly what style plug to use for a 5202 as their SLF OEM replacement fog light LED uses the correct connector, the same way that the old XML2 5202 LED did prior to it's discontinuance.

Any company that treats the end user as an afterthought with regards install/wiring doesn’t get my business. It’s a shame because I think they make good lights, just terrible harness designs and less than transparent marketing.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Any company that treats the end user as an afterthought with regards install/wiring doesn’t get my business. It’s a shame because I think they make good lights, just terrible harness designs and less than transparent marketing.
In their defense, they don't know if the Bronco owner will have upfitters or not. So their harness allows for BOTH. It works well but it's a LOTTTTTTTT of extra wiring. Their fog kits... yeah same deal. It's a LOT of extra wiring. That's why we just make it simpler and ask you at checkout and then give you the right harness.

20240112_180629[1].jpg

1706655560310.jpeg
In Diode Dynamcis defense, 5202 is a TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE bulb size. It's not their fault. It's just TERRIBLE to work with. I've personally gone through 3 different kinds over the course of our own CrystaLux LED bulbs and every single batch had a slightly different style. They are HORRIBLE. Worst bulb in the history of automotive bulbs if you ask me. They just DON'T work right.

Those are popular on the Mopar vehicles, especially the fogs. They ALWAYS come loose. No matter what brand.

OP
OP
Aking325

Aking325

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brinco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In their defense, they don't know if the Bronco owner will have upfitters or not. So their harness allows for BOTH. It works well but it's a LOTTTTTTTT of extra wiring. Their fog kits... yeah same deal. It's a LOT of extra wiring. That's why we just make it simpler and ask you at checkout and then give you the right harness.

In Diode Dynamcis defense, 5202 is a TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE bulb size. It's not their fault. It's just TERRIBLE to work with. I've personally gone through 3 different kinds over the course of our own CrystaLux LED bulbs and every single batch had a slightly different style. They are HORRIBLE. Worst bulb in the history of automotive bulbs if you ask me. They just DON'T work right.

Those are popular on the Mopar vehicles, especially the fogs. They ALWAYS come loose. No matter what brand.
I know you all are obviously a big reseller of DD and will be ordering from you but personally staying away from DD. They ask what type vehicle you have and would not be too much to verify “Toggle switch” or “upfitter”. I’m sorry but how they operate is just plain lazy and created a lot of extra work and time. Sent it back (and the upfitter harness connection wire (blue) came out. The entire harness was poor quality (upfitter crimp connections, relay fitment, cable length etc.). You get one chance to make a first impression and they blew it. Appreciate your prompt responses and insight.
Sponsored