Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carburetors were around into the early 90’s, and I would hardly call the early 2000’s “old times”.

Turns out this thread was more about hating Ford Sync than anything else though.
You mean that era when we had to walk up hill both ways to answer a phone tethered to a wall behind the breakfast nook? Or how about when you had to walk (or, yell) at your siblings to come for dinner, instead of just whatsapp'ing 'em? Or when conspiracies came typed up in letter mail (not package mail)? Or when identity theft involved "wet signatures" and something about kiting? Or you mean the era where you get your music from a scam listed in a magazine (WHAT THE HELL IS A MAGAZINE???) and not a computer company?
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol maybe calling it tech is getting people triggered. I'm GenX, I don't get offended 😉
5fhv2if7z1xv76x9gvych5&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif

I'm Gen X too, according to my peers on social media Gen X isn't offended at all.... except by...

Participation trophies, technology, not playing outside, games on cell phones, working from home, climate change, legal weed, dr. suess, the green m&m, n95 masks, being called "karen," tipping, obama care, being called a boomer, electric cars, fouls being called in the NBA, this reply...I could really do this all day...

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Funny, I was thinking last night what I would love to have in my Bronco.

1. Hand crank window.
2. Full frame windows with wing vents.
3. Standard radio w/bluetooth. 12" screen was the size of my first color TV.
4. Hand or foot emergency brake.
I could go on but....

My dads 1955 Buick Special had 400,000+ miles on it when some lady totaled it while it was parked on the street.
My 1955 Chevy pickup had 500,000+ miles on it when I sold it.
My dads 1960 Chevy pickup had 600,000+ miles on it when he sold it.
My 63 Buick Riviera had 400,00+ miles on it when I totaled it.
My dads 71 Bronco had 700,000+ miles on it when he sold it.
My 1992 Volvo 240 had 500,000+ miles on it when I sold it.
My 1995 Dodge 1 Ton SRW had 300,000+ miles on it when I sold it.
My 1996 Volvo 850 wagon had 300,000+ miles on it when my wife totaled it.
My 1999 GMC 3/4 Ton had 135,000 miles on it when I sold it.
My 2004 GMC 3/4 Ton had 24,000 miles on it when I traded it in for a 2007.
My 2007 GMC had 74,000 miles on it when I traded it in for My Escalade in 2016.
My 1994 Jeep 2-Door XJ has 240,000 miles on it and it is for sale.
My 2016 Escalade has 84,000 and I want to get rid of it.
My wife's 2016 Nissan just turned 12,000 miles.

Granted, up until the Volvo 850 they lived in very dry country and did not suffer rust issues but it would be a F'ing miracle if any 2024 car lasted 500,000 miles.

Almost forgot, my 1960 Triumph TR3A had 240,000 mile on it before a guy offered stupid money for it.... and it was still going strong.

Trail

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ram 3500, Honda CRV, Charger Hellcat RE
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Carburetors were around into the early 90’s, and I would hardly call the early 2000’s “old times”.

Turns out this thread was more about hating Ford Sync than anything else though.
Oldest vehicle I have owned is a 1990 Prelude, it was injected, ran flawlessly, great gas mileage, and very reliable. It was used when I bought it, and just ran and ran. I sold it with 409,000 kms on it, and the next owner drove it for years.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will go back to the portable cd player plugged into my cassette sitting on the passenger seat next to me. Too many computer controlled parts to go wrong on new vehicles that the average person can’t work on.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oldest vehicle I have owned is a 1990 Prelude, it was injected, ran flawlessly, great gas mileage, and very reliable. It was used when I bought it, and just ran and ran. I sold it with 409,000 kms on it, and the next owner drove it for years.
63inwqn13o3rf61mzu0yk50&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The guy that bought my dads 60 Chevy Pick up drove it to work every day until he retired in 2012. He still has it and drives it daily. Straight 6, oil-bath air cleaner with a granny 4-speed. Indestructible.

The early Hondas, like the old Volvos were great cars. Not so much now.

A friend owned a S600 and we beat the snot out of it and it just would not die. He sold it and bought a 71 Hemi Cuda. Bet he wishes he had both those cars now...

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
All the “tech” does not belong off road!!...being stuck in the middle of nowhere because some ”computer“ something has some unknown ”problem” is life threatening!…sure all the “fluff” is nice (we had power steerin/brakes, A/C, heat/defrost, power & heated seats, cruise,…before computers) but there needs to be at least a switch to make the ”basic“ vehicle operate!…I love levers and switches that do what ya want when ya want, not some computer trying to ”imagine“ what I ought to have happening…my ‘29 Model A is my most favorite car to drive and my daily driver (no power anything but it does have Bluetooth for music)…OK I’m old…

Last edited:

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Back to 2000? You need to go back much farther than that. I remember my ‘74 Bronco having solenoid problems all the time. Had to raise the hood and start it with a screwdriver. Problems happen, tech if not. I wouldn’t give up the tech because it’s safer and helpful.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes - I can skip the CD player also. Remove all chips and software. Use technology to improve the quality of build/parts.

Reactions: Fly

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Back to 2000? You need to go back much farther than that. I remember my ‘74 Bronco having solenoid problems all the time. Had to raise the hood and start it with a screwdriver. Problems happen, tech if not. I wouldn’t give up the tech because it’s safer and helpful.
$10 fix ya could do Alongside the road with an adjustable wrench…

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

early 90’s vehicle? Your ECU capacitors have either been replaced or are currently leaking.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I remember my dad (mechanic turned fleet manager) telling me when I bought the Buick Riviera that if a power window motor went out it would cost $160.00 to fix ($750.00 in todays dollars). The only thing I ever did to that car besides regular maintenance was brake jobs. Yeah, it would vapor lock in the mountains and got 10 miles per gallon but being what Sergio Pininfarina declared “one of the most beautiful American cars ever built.” in black lacquer with Cragar's, I didn't mind.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice to remember when I liked turning wrenches and could do a tune up with a screwdriver, socket wrench and feeler gauge. Not sure if the tech will be a good thing or not long term...
Sponsored