First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You must've missed the episode of American Top Gear when Tanner Faust won the tow competition with an Ecoboost F150 (think it was a 3.5 Ecoboost) vs a V8 Chevy and V8 Tundra, and it wasn't even close. They towed a Boeing 727 for time and the F150 absolutely spanked them. I think it's season one & titled "King of Trucks".

I have a 2018 F150 2.7 Ecoboost with some aftermarket mods and a tune that cranks out over 460 hp & over 515 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. 5 Star Tuning regularly modifies 2.7 Ecoboost F150s to produce 550+ hp & 625+ lb-ft torque to the rear wheels (meaning that's 600+ hp at the engine) with the dynos sheets to prove it. The thing that got me with this video is the Bronco doing so well with the weight differences
Sponsored

pfbz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Turbo, 991 Turbo S, 996 turbo, Q5 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Silly video, but why-oh-why couldn't Ford have given us a nicer digital display like the TRX or at a minimum a useable tachometer like in the Raptor?

The Bronco dash display by comparison is comically primitive

Ford Bronco WTF did I just watch?  Bronco vs TRX vs Raptor vs Tundra vs Titan, Tug-of-War!!! Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 7.58.54 PM

Ford Bronco WTF did I just watch?  Bronco vs TRX vs Raptor vs Tundra vs Titan, Tug-of-War!!! Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 7.59.24 PM

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Justifies the gearing in the Bronco.

gearwrench

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
13 minutes of my life I'll never get back

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For sale, low mileage Bronco, mostly driven 4 feet at a time. 😁

Sponsored

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate these tug comparisons... They make no sense unless ever car was on the exact same tires.
Throw some weight in the back of the Truck.
Who goes on snow/ice in a pick up with no weight in the back?
Even my 1 ton 4x4 diesel slides without weight in the back.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I work on quantum computing, which involves some physics. That said, I'm a computer scientist by training, not a quantum physicist.

The physics in this case are simple enough that I'm comfortable explaining what was going on:

The patch of ground where all 8 of the tires connect during a tug-of-war like this were at various points either 1) icy and snowy, or 2) carved out into mud-holes from earlier rounds.

In either case 1 or 2, there is very little traction to be had on that slippery surface. So you have two forces pulling against each other, neither of which are very strong at all due to lack of contact resistance. All of the mechanical force is in the torque spinning the wheels, all 8 of which are spinning quite freely. Since neither of the lateral forces is very strong (since the mechanical force is burned in spin), no lateral motion results.

This is also why the vehicles with the best tires/treads, and the largest contact patch (wider 35s have a larger contact patch than skinnier 33s) won each heat. The treads gave slightly better bite, on a slightly larger contact area between tire and ground, which allowed the radial force to translate a bit better into lateral force, giving that vehicle the edge. Weight of vehicle, horsepower, torque rating... those were all secondary to contact resistance. That also explains why similar 35s with similar tread depth tied: the factors that matter in force translation were nearly identical. Results would have been different if contact resistance were stronger, and thus played less of a role versus weight/hp/etc.

Summary: more power and more weight don't help if you can't translate it to motion via traction.
More weight matters for traction..Fn=mg
Ford Bronco WTF did I just watch?  Bronco vs TRX vs Raptor vs Tundra vs Titan, Tug-of-War!!! 1643983050230

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How is this still going? The only reason the bronco had a chance was because of the snow and ice on the ground. Put them on pavement and the trx will drag the bronco till it runs out of fuel. Here is a ford raptor vs a trx on a real surface.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was pretty cool. But they should have moved the location a little after each pull.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yup. I’m pretty sure my Kubota could pull any of those tire-spinning vehicles around a snowy field… 😂
Nice and you got the Kubota orange bronco it was my second choice

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reminds me of the old top gear episode with Jeremy in an AMG Black series pulling against a tug of war team (and losing). Once the tires are spinning, all bets are off.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice and you got the Kubota orange bronco it was my second choice
Haha! Our Bronco is more like Caterpillar yellow. 😜 Maybe I should get a code orange Raptor to match my tractor!

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That’s like running the summer