First Name
Chester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My Raptor order in 2022 was $80,775. Then when it got switched to a 2023 it was $86,240 and when it arrived in June it was $96,990 with no price protection. My dealer (Suburban Ford of Sterling Hts, MI) gave me an a rebate of $10,950, but than again I have bought 4 Broncos from them!
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just wondering, what has to happen for a dealer to sell the vehicle you've ordered to someone else? Is there any way to stall, in other words, so they can't sell it for maybe a month? If they're going to play hardball, you could always try to return it in kind. Even if you don't get the price you assumed, the hassle and time wasted comes at a cost. I think we generally agree $10k at this point is aspirational.
Starting for 2023 with COVP which is name match, they will get dinged and lose future allocation, but doesn't really slow slimeball dealers down, they just don't care. The loophole will be the dealer "tried" to sell it to the customer who ordered it, but will claim its now an abandoned order since they marked it up to the moon.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just wondering, what has to happen for a dealer to sell the vehicle you've ordered to someone else? Is there any way to stall, in other words, so they can't sell it for maybe a month? If they're going to play hardball, you could always try to return it in kind. Even if you don't get the price you assumed, the hassle and time wasted comes at a cost. I think we generally agree $10k at this point is aspirational.
Dealer can sell 'your' order to whoever they want, whenever they want. They're under no real obligation to sell it to you just because you ordered. Yeah, this is totally sh8tty, but it's happened countless times. You're at their mercy, unfortunately.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even a signed purchase agreement is no guarantee. I had one and my dealer refused to honor it and threatened to not sell me the Bronco when it arrived. They just want you to cave in so they can mark it up and sell to someone else. I paid their asking price just to secure it then put them on blast on social media and filed a complaint with the BBB. Eventually the GM caved and wrote me a check for the difference. Everything is a negotiation.
Hey BRBlue,
Sorry to read that your dealer refused to honour your Purchase Agreement (PA). A properly filled out PA is a legal document, unlike a Sales Order or some other offered document from a dealer. As it is a legal document, you would have won in any court of law. Glad you did not have to go that route...

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Left a negative google review.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Remember Saturn, the no-haggle brand? Gone. Ryan Johnson's reign at JCPenney? Ended in bankruptcy. Americans are so inculcated in gamified buyer/seller relationships, instead of being good buyers, we distrust prices and expect to be "screwed". Mostly because we're taught to desire and want instead of be aware of needs and know what we value.

Had a roommate years ago who was a top shoe seller for Dillards here in DFW. He had tried to be a car salesman, but quit a few days after "sales school" because he didn't think he could hack outright lying to people. I mean, deploying that whole Make Friends and Win Enemies thing. Thanks Mr. Carnegie!

So yeah, with something so expensive for most buyers, wanting something and not knowing how you really value obtaining it is a recipe for an asymmetric negotiation. My roommate explained how car salespeople are really little psychologists. They simply know more about how you'll act, and use that against you. I mean, in their favor.

In the end, these are cars; don't be angry, if they won't sell it to you for what you think it's worth, move on. Threatening violence or destruction of property is counterproductive and wrong. However, I like the idea of embarrassing them. Because they should be embarrassed, and ashamed. Then again, not everyone feels those emotions, and we all know the best car salespeople are hatchet men.
Well put.

I tend to be downright clinical when it comes to new vehicle purchases, and I'm getting worse as I get older. And I've never paid sticker, and the only one I would have paid sticker for was the aforementioned GT500. But it was not to be, it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Three of my five current vehicles are Ford products and I've been pro-Ford for many, many years despite owning a little of everything. If not for the ongoing clusterf*ck that is Bronco, I'd have four Fords. Beyond dealer nonsense and Ford's inability to build what I want, throw in a little dissatisfaction with my '19 F150, and I've found it's pretty easy to spend my money elsewhere.

Last edited:

dman3540

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 4-door Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I patiently waited years for my order. My heritage is a week away and I get this text when I ask about price protection.

View attachment 587918
The Ford dealer down here in So Cal had ours marked up 10k, then we had to negotiate them down until they agreed on an acceptable upcharge for them. They said for the extra $6-7k or whatever we settled on, we could grab a bunch of crap from their store....Ford logo mugs and shirts. Oh, and we got a rear safe installed as part of the deal. I feel some kind of class action suit maybe in Ford's (and probably other manufacturer's) future. 🤷🏻‍♂️

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford dealer down here in So Cal had ours marked up 10k, then we had to negotiate them down until they agreed on an acceptable upcharge for them. They said for the extra $6-7k or whatever we settled on, we could grab a bunch of crap from their store....Ford logo mugs and shirts. Oh, and we got a rear safe installed as part of the deal. I feel some kind of class action suit maybe in Ford's (and probably other manufacturer's) future. 🤷🏻‍♂️
remember Ford has no ownership of the dealers

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Man ya'll are savages! As a business owner, negative google reviews are one of the worst things you can get.

I have to say though, I checked most of the 1 stars for that place that you guys left, and MOST people who rated them, are also only rating other places 1 star. That sucks, REALLY sucks.
You should really REALLY be rewarding the good companies out there, not just throwing out 1 star reviews like their candy. Give places you like 5 stars!!!! 50% of unhappy people will leave a 1 star, 5% of happy people will leave a 5 star- reward good places just as much as bad!

OP that sucks that happened. It's a shitty dealer practice. With the amount of reviews that were written- I'm 95% sure they will do something about this situation. Make sure they know it is you're doing.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man ya'll are savages! As a business owner, negative google reviews are one of the worst things you can get.

I have to say though, I checked most of the 1 stars for that place that you guys left, and MOST people who rated them, are also only rating other places 1 star. That sucks, REALLY sucks.
You should really REALLY be rewarding the good companies out there, not just throwing out 1 star reviews like their candy. Give places you like 5 stars!!!! 50% of unhappy people will leave a 1 star, 5% of happy people will leave a 5 star- reward good places just as much as bad!

OP that sucks that happened. It's a shitty dealer practice. With the amount of reviews that were written- I'm 95% sure they will do something about this situation. Make sure they know it is you're doing.
My uncle had an electrical business in the Bay Area for years. One day he starts getting phone calls from Yelp. Hey, we can help with those bad reviews! He goes and looks and it's serial negative reviews based on someone's crummy experience like 15 years before... I mean, he probably deserved it (he was cheap and a jerk). But yeah, try not to only slag on negative experiences. If you're going to review, do it honestly and for the good and bad.

Justinfro

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, Cayman S (987.2), 911sc
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I ordered mine, I put down the deposit and went in and signed a purchase order. I would think that would be legally binding???

P.S. Where is @Ford to collect the VIN and help rectify the situation?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I ordered mine, I put down the deposit and went in and signed a purchase order. I would think that would be legally binding???

P.S. Where is @Ford to collect the VIN and help rectify the situation?
Resurrecting threads from 1842.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.