First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
is there cutting required for sasquatch vehicles which had the forward crash bars deleted at the factory?
Body mount is still there; the sas ones just doesn't have the bar sticking out.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks for the education - yes obv rounded points. I guess I wish the whole thing was more filled in - in general. nSeems like its covered with big openings for style only and you barely see this. my gut tells me it would perform better if it was as solid as possible minus the access holes. Im not suggesting "plate steel" . I also think all those welds will just snap as opposed to deform, I think you could breakform more of this if a small / scaleable brake was used. I think I see alot of performance limitations based on style choices and fabrication capabilities
The more open it is the easier it's to clean out. :cool:

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) Price is definitely based on opinion. I personally think it’s pretty close to fair. There is a frame horn brace and crash bar delete that you can buy separately and they are pretty close to this price together. This is a all-in-one complete kit.
2) Your right that this probably changes crash characteristics, but so does any aftermarket bumper.
3) The instructions do include torque specifications. There is also a cross section that extends through the frame in the same area as this kit. It would be very difficult to deform the frame in my opinion.

Just my opinion on your concerns
@Weekends & Waypoints I missed the torque specs , thanks for posting that, my apologies for missing those.
yeah price is definitely subjective

This change is not like adding a bumper, cutting off a part that was designed specifically for crash protection is definitely beyond just adding components.

What do you mean by " cross section that extends through the frame in the same area as this kit"?
I did not see any spacers included

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the idea of the kit but would definitely be asking questions from the manufacturer before I order
So what is your point? You are not going to buy it so you just dump on it? Maybe valid if you back that up with any real data. But you provided nothing that someone sitting in their garage after mowing the grass might come up with.

And you are worried about this bracket in crashes, but you didn't blink at the completely non-factory bumper?

Frontal crash video showing how strong the front of the frame rails are, or at least their failure mode. I do not see how this product changes this. Offset crash tests never hit the frame, it's offset too much.

OP
OP
Weekends & Waypoints

Weekends & Waypoints

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Weekends & Waypoints I missed the torque specs , thanks for posting that, my apologies for missing those.
yeah price is definitely subjective

This change is not like adding a bumper, cutting off a part that was designed specifically for crash protection is definitely beyond just adding components.

What do you mean by " cross section that extends through the frame in the same area as this kit"?
I did not see any spacers included
Definitely not disagreeing. It does make a difference. I was just comparing that adding almost any component can change crash characteristics, it’s the risk we take to get functions we want in our rigs. Removing a “crash bar” will for sure make a difference in that very specific situation there were added for.

I was referring to the square stock that ford has welded on both side through the frame in the same area that this kit sandwiches. This is the best picture I could find.
Ford Bronco You Can Delete Crash Bar And Add Strength! - LOBO Off-Road Crash Bar Erase & Brace Kit Install Photos & Review 96B7C4EA-85AA-4FE9-97DA-4A054B4CA4EE

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) Price is definitely based on opinion. I personally think it’s pretty close to fair. There is a frame horn brace and crash bar delete that you can buy separately and they are pretty close to this price together. This is a all-in-one complete kit.
It certainly is fair. The cost of offering those low volume solutions (including the separate solutions you mention) is very high. But no worries, once the volume picks up enough for prices to come down, China will swoop in with their knock off.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what is your point? You are not going to buy it so you just dump on it? Maybe valid if you back that up with any real data. But you provided nothing that someone sitting in their garage after mowing the grass might come up with.

And you are worried about this bracket in crashes, but you didn't blink at the completely non-factory bumper?

Frontal crash video showing how strong the front of the frame rails are, or at least their failure mode. I do not see how this product changes this. Offset crash tests never hit the frame, it's offset too much.
Wow, I've never watched one of these videos. Fascinating. I couldn't tell if the crash bars are installed or not, but I assume they are. The crash dummies hands destroyed the top of the dash. Ouch. The view from the bottom is worth a watch.

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or you could just do this

IMG_3211.PNG

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@mike8675309 I know the design of the frame. My company builds every 6g bronco frame. Lays down every weld. Stamps almost every piece of steel in the frame. Yeah I know what I'm talking about. Not everyone on here posts just to be an asshole, plenty actually have knowledge that is helpful to the group. That is the point of the forum, to be helpful. . Before you make assumptions what I or other contribute, maybe ask - I'm definitely not sitting my garage lol.

I'm not picking fights - I even said I like the kit. I'm pointing out in a friendly manner that there are risks. If I told you how many hours Ford and our company spent getting the bracket to perform and meet the standards you would never believe it. That is why I posted, the crash bar may seem pointless, but it has a very real safety design. My point was pretty clear - removing brackets comes with risks. IF you are OK with the risk, buy the kit.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@mike8675309 I know the design of the frame. My company builds every 6g bronco frame. Lays down every weld. Stamps almost every piece of steel in the frame. Yeah I know what I'm talking about. Not everyone on here posts just to be an asshole, plenty actually have knowledge that is helpful to the group. That is the point of the forum, to be helpful. . Before you make assumptions what I or other contribute, maybe ask - I'm definitely not sitting my garage lol.

I'm not picking fights - I even said I like the kit. I'm pointing out in a friendly manner that there are risks. If I told you how many hours Ford and our company spent getting the bracket to perform and meet the standards you would never believe it. That is why I posted, the crash bar may seem pointless, but it has a very real safety design. My point was pretty clear - removing brackets comes with risks. IF you are OK with the risk, buy the kit.
Would you agree that without the crash bars installed (aka Sasquatch) then these brackets don't do much?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would you agree that without the crash bars installed (aka Sasquatch) then these brackets don't do much?
It's all about physics. One of the most significant issues with crashes that lead to human damage is when objects in the engine compartment or suspension get forced to push against the cabin as the crumple area of the front starts to shrink. If you look at the suspension it will be clear that it is designed to detach from the frame if enough force is applied. This is because in the past the wheel would stay attached as the frame deformed and push against the firewall shoving everything back and pinning the driver's feet with the pedals, possibly breaking an ankle.

Why Ford put crash bars on the Bronco when comparable models from other manufacturers don't have similar is really up to Ford, and I doubt they will tell us. That they don't put it on the Sasquatch models is telling though. My personal WAG, and something each person will have to come to themselves, is that Ford didn't include them on SAS vehicles because they aren't necessary due to the larger tire. That the purpose of the crash bars is protection with smaller tires.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely not disagreeing. It does make a difference. I was just comparing that adding almost any component can change crash characteristics, it’s the risk we take to get functions we want in our rigs. Removing a “crash bar” will for sure make a difference in that very specific situation there were added for.

I was referring to the square stock that ford has welded on both side through the frame in the same area that this kit sandwiches. This is the best picture I could find.
ahh I gotcha now. yes the square tube gives a ton of cross section strength, but where the kit bolts is right between the crash initiators for the front horn. Over torqueing the hardware could start to deform the dimples. Lots of ford design time in that area. I'm not sure how much it torque it takes to deform, but I would hate to find out lol

Ford Bronco You Can Delete Crash Bar And Add Strength! - LOBO Off-Road Crash Bar Erase & Brace Kit Install Photos & Review 1692912270317

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The extensions are obviously there for a reason - 33" and smaller tires have the full crash bar setup and it performs very well
removing the extensions to go 35" or larger changes the performance but is still acceptable
Cutting off the whole sub assembly and removing the entire front crash bar would further degrade the performance
Sponsored