Sponsored

260 miles and engine light started flashing and engine sputtering, fiels like it is not firing on all cylinders.

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2011 F350 D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought I was lucky, 2.5 months from order to driving my 2022 Badlands Sasquatch High package. Now 260iles later it started sputtering bad at lower RPM and higher gears and engine light flashing. Feels like it is not firing on all cylinders. If it is a simple fix I would like to do it myself, really don't want to leave it at the dealership for any length of time.... any suggestions?
Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Questions will be…what engine? Why not warranty? Could be coil pack, spark plug, dropped cylinder, turbo, bad gas…etc. you could check to make sure all packs are seated on plugs, look for loose lines on turbos. Use a scan tool to look up codes. Otherwise, dealership.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Questions will be…what engine? Why not warranty? Could be coil pack, spark plug, dropped cylinder, turbo, bad gas…etc. you could check to make sure all packs are seated on plugs, look for loose lines on turbos. Use a scan tool to look up codes. Otherwise, dealership.
I assume a 2.3 since it’s posted in a 2.3. Don’t drive it anymore first of all. Second pull engine codes with a scanner. Flashing CEL is usually misfire.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had that happen once after my first gasoline fill-up. I suspected it was the MAF sensor and it cleared up after a few kms. The check engine light stayed on for a couple of days but also cleared itself. Note this happened at night on the highway so I decided to keep driving as I suspected it was the MAF - it was running just as you describe.

I took it to a local dealer and the sales guy I spoke to confirmed it was likely the MAF, but he said this is/was a known issue with the Rangers as well. Here’s the thing - he asked if I topped up the fuel after the initial “click off” and I said that I did; he said that this was likely the cause of the circuit going temporarily haywire.

I don’t top up the fuel any longer (don’t normally do that with any of my vehicles but wanted to get to know the Bronco on the first fill) and have not had that problem occur again.

I did have a code reader in my truck and was going to read the error code to confirm the dealer’s comment, but all was reset by the time I got home so I’m not sure. But if you’ve ever done work on an engine and forgot to plug the MAF wires back in, you’ll not forget how badly your engine runs when that circuit is malfunctioning.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assume a 2.3 since it’s posted in a 2.3. Don’t drive it anymore first of all. Second pull engine codes with a scanner. Flashing CEL is usually misfire.
I just look at newly posted, didn’t realize it’s posted under 2.3

Sponsored
OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got home late last night and it started about 5 miles from home so I gently limped it home. Had to leave for work at 5am and will put it on a scanner tonight. Was looking for places to start and suggestions so when I get home this evening I will go right to it. Thank you for the input. I don't think it is serious but hoping someone else may have had experienced the same.

OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had that happen once after my first gasoline fill-up. I suspected it was the MAF sensor and it cleared up after a few kms. The check engine light stayed on for a couple of days but also cleared itself. Note this happened at night on the highway so I decided to keep driving as I suspected it was the MAF - it was running just as you describe.

I took it to a local dealer and the sales guy I spoke to confirmed it was likely the MAF, but he said this is/was a known issue with the Rangers as well. Here’s the thing - he asked if I topped up the fuel after the initial “click off” and I said that I did; he said that this was likely the cause of the circuit going temporarily haywire.

I don’t top up the fuel any longer (don’t normally do that with any of my vehicles but wanted to get to know the Bronco on the first fill) and have not had that problem occur again.

I did have a code reader in my truck and was going to read the error code to confirm the dealer’s comment, but all was reset by the time I got home so I’m not sure. But if you’ve ever done work on an engine and forgot to plug the MAF wires back in, you’ll not forget how badly your engine runs when that circuit is malfunctioning.
I had 1/4 tank left of the first tank, I was going to stop on the way home and fill it up. It was about 11pm on the highway when it happened, entered on a ramp and was giving it gas to get to speed when it started sputtering.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No worries man..I saw it was in the 2.3 thread

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had 1/4 tank left of the first tank, I was going to stop on the way home and fill it up. It was about 11pm on the highway when it happened, entered on a ramp and was giving it gas to get to speed when it started sputtering.
Like we said. Start with scan and fill it up as well. A flashing CEL usually means misfire that could damage your catalytic converters if you drive it far like that. Could just be a coil pack issue or plug.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got home late last night and it started about 5 miles from home so I gently limped it home. Had to leave for work at 5am and will put it on a scanner tonight. Was looking for places to start and suggestions so when I get home this evening I will go right to it. Thank you for the input. I don't think it is serious but hoping someone else may have had experienced the same.

I had 1/4 of original tank of gas left when it started, stopped to fill it up before going home.

OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like we said. Start with scan and fill it up as well. A flashing CEL usually means misfire that could damage your catalytic converters if you drive it far like that. Could just be a coil pack issue or plug.
Thanks, I will get at it as soon as I get home from work

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
flashing check engine light almost always means a misfire. that is never good. hopefully something the dealer will easily catch and fix like a burned plug wire or something equally benign.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspected it was the MAF sensor
There is no MAF sensor on EcoBoost. They use a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)

Also yes, once the pump stops that's it. You WILL force liquid fuel into the vapor canister and cause big issues. I also don't advise fueling while the vehicle is running as the system is actively attempting to pressurize the tank and will possibly throw a code.

Last edited:

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Had the same issue in my Tundra. Bad gas pump didn't click off and gas started flowing out. Cleaned up the mess and then the truck didn't want to start. Had to floor it to get the motor going. Ran like crap and hard to start for about 2 fill ups and then just cleared up on its own. to be safe, I watch closely now and I always stop the fill at the first click off.
Sponsored