Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mines fine, but after going full exhaust with my A4, ill be damned to do anything more than a downpipe

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Normal. It annoyed me too. Added the 2.3 Ranger factory engine cover (it fits directly with zero mods) and the factory under hood insulation - and the annoying loud idle and part throttle is MUCH better.

OP
OP

clewcrew

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base and 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Base
Of course it sounds terrible - it's a four cylinder. What did you expect?
I agree - perhaps I'm too old school for a 4 cylinder engine that sounds like a sewing machine (yet gets up to 300hp).

Sponsored
OP
OP

clewcrew

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Normal. It annoyed me too. Added the 2.3 Ranger factory engine cover (it fits directly with zero mods) and the factory under hood insulation - and the annoying loud idle and part throttle is MUCH better.

OP
OP

clewcrew

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the recommendation. Does the insulation keep the engine compartment hot?

Will_in_HiFi

Black Diamond
First Name
WILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr BD Mansquatch, 1989 Bronco 2, 1996 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Please listen to this video. It sounds terrible. Checked all the fluids.

Is this the way the Bronco 2.3L engines are supposed to sound? Only has about 2500 miles. With the hood closed sounds like the engine is ticking.

Direct injection engines are noisier than port injected engines. The have to inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber rather than behind the intake valve.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. Just came out of a '21 with the 2.7 and into a '22 with 2.3. The 2.3 seems much louder which I was not expecting.

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The direct injection fuel system is just overall louder than what most people are used to. The injectors are fighting to hold back a rail pressure that can be between 2000 and 4000psi in some cases. Not to mention, the high pressure pump is driven off the camshaft with a mechanical lobe and pushrod. This also causes a loud slap/tick noise.

It's one of those things you'll either get accustomed to, or you'll end up selling the vehicle because it drives you nuts.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Go ride a Harley with a Twin Cam engine with a few miles and some performance camshafts. That 2.3 will seem whisper quiet in comparison..
The larger issue is when the engine no longer makes ANY noise.

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So sounding like it is constantly pinging is normal, even with super unleaded? I just cant get used to it, and want to make sure that is the norm with these 2.3's???

Thanks,
Mike

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So sounding like it is constantly pinging is normal, even with super unleaded? I just cant get used to it, and want to make sure that is the norm with these 2.3's???

Thanks,
Mike
Yup. There are ways you can mitigate the noise. You can get the engine cover from a Ranger and it will be a direct fit. You can also get the underhood insulation from Mabett or someone similar. My RS with the same engine was noticeable, even with an insulated engine cover, a padded silencer over the high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP), and the hood insulation. With the hood up, it sounded like Michael J Fox holding a pair of maracas.

dabase2dark

Base
First Name
jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 ford bronco 2 door//‘13 audi TT competition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i recall this feeling you are having. i worked at audi for 17yrs starting in 2002. in the second half of 2005 the new 2006 models began arriving and along with them, the 2.0T FSI - VAGs first direct injected engine.

i remember thinking ‘what the fuck’ but over time it just became normal and i could even hear fuel system issues later for diagnostic purposes.

if it ever stops sounding like a typewriter and instead starts to sound like a bird chirping, your HPFP has taken a shit haha

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree - perhaps I'm too old school for a 4 cylinder engine that sounds like a sewing machine (yet gets up to 300hp).
Me too - the 6 cylinder was worth the upcharge. Even Porsche can’t make a 4 that doesn’t sound crappy.
Sponsored