First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it wasn't for sound everyone's that's ridden in my 3.5eb vs 5.0 Coyote would say the 3.5 was the bigger engine. Takes a split second if you romp on it vs the v8 but all other scenarios its feels like a 7ltr compared to the coyote.
No doubt it's a better performer. I just haven't been thrilled with the sounds coming from modified Raptors.
Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No doubt it's a better performer. I just haven't been thrilled with the sounds coming from modified Raptors.
That’s because everyone and even ford tried to give it a deep v8 sound, they sound terrible with an after cat exhaust.
It needs new headers, mid pipes and mufflers them add an aftermarket blowoff valve. Definitely won’t sound like a big V8 but it sounds exotic, trick and more like the GT.
Check out some videos of Ken Blocks raptor for an example.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sound and feel are a lot like looks, in that they have subjective value. No amount of faking it or dressing it up will be a convincing replacement.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it wasn't for sound everyone's that's ridden in my 3.5eb vs 5.0 Coyote would say the 3.5 was the bigger engine. Takes a split second if you romp on it vs the v8 but all other scenarios its feels like a 7ltr compared to the coyote.
Correct, it does feel like 7ltr i.e. it doesn’t rev like the coyote and has stronger power down low.
I prefer the way the coyotes drive especially with the new 10spd and it’s in my dream scenario for the BroncoBronco. I know it’s not going to happen but I also know how jealous I’ll be when a new wrangler pulls up next to me with its Hemi and an aftermarket exhaust and I’ll have a 2.7 v6 stock exhaust so the sounds of my BroncoBronco don’t get laughed at.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly if anything I’d prefer the sound of an I6 with a Bronco. That’s the sound I associate with them personally.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly if anything I’d prefer the sound of an I6 with a Bronco. That’s the sound I associate with them personally.
That is unfortunately another class of engine Ford seems to have given up on despite its advantages in mechanical simplicity.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is unfortunately another class of engine Ford seems to have given up on despite its advantages in mechanical simplicity.
Its not about "giving up" so much as it is/was about modularity. And not just Ford. Many OEM's, even the Europeans would manufacture lots of V8's and V6's and there could be some level of modularity between them. Recently with the downsizing trend of engines there will be less and less V8's meaning that the modularity equation begins to favor I3's I4's and I6's You are already seeing some of this from Ford with all the latest ecoboosts, all but the 6 bangers which all had their start when V8's were commonplace.

Package is also part of the benefit of V-engines but that is not only 1 way but a bit of a compromise either way.

Also I6's are great but their mechanical advantages over a 60 degree V6 or 90 degree V8 are quite exaggerated. They have some but they are not significant enough to make the short list of important considerations. The only common architecture now that has some real and significant dynamic handicaps is the I-4.

I'm no longer working on powertrain, but i'd keep my ear to the ground on that, who knows what the future holds. Economically however, a full resurgence of I-6's probably unlikely since its hardly downsized enough to be the economical route and a bit underpowered for the same weight and general package to V6/8

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct, it does feel like 7ltr i.e. it doesn’t rev like the coyote and has stronger power down low.
I prefer the way the coyotes drive especially with the new 10spd and it’s in my dream scenario for the BroncoBronco. I know it’s not going to happen but I also know how jealous I’ll be when a new wrangler pulls up next to me with its Hemi and an aftermarket exhaust and I’ll have a 2.7 v6 stock exhaust so the sounds of my BroncoBronco don’t get laughed at.
Have you driven an edge sport with the 2.7?

It revs like mad and is a little rocketship for an SUV. Who knows what tune or if the 2.7 even makes it to the bronco but If it does I'll bet it performs very well in street driving. I've always been found of turbo engines and actually like the growl of the raptor (our expedition sounds decent even though it's quite) but I see both sides of the coin. Being a Mustang and overall sports car guy I do love a good V8 I just know we don't have a shot in hell at seeing one in the bronco.

Isn't the hemi only aftermarket on the Jeep? The dealer by me is ordering pretty much all 4cyl so they must perform/sale well.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Isn't the hemi only aftermarket on the Jeep? The dealer by me is ordering pretty much all 4cyl so they must perform/sale well.
Yeah, no V8 in wranglers from the factory, just the I4 and V6. The Hemi doesn't fit in the engine bay in a way that allows it to meet crash safety regs. There's a couple different outfits that will happily stuff one in there for you though.

If the Bronco does well, I'd be shocked if similar conversions to put a coyote in don't pop up in due course. Personally I'd be perfectly happy with the 2.7 or 3.0. While I do love a good V8 sound and the 427 in my vette, there's no arguing with the performance from those ecoboost motors.

Sponsored

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
my dealer told me that it would have a 2.3 liter eco boost motor. I have a Powerstroke F150 and would love for the Land Rover/ Ford 3 liter v6 diesel to be offered in the new Bronco. It would be awesome -- I don't believe you will see a v8 in it more than likely a 2.3 liter turbo as the base then the v6 as an option.

Ford currently makes two engines which outperform the v8 in truck formats and that is the eco beast supped up 3.5 twin turbo and the Powerstroke 3 liter diesel motor both make over 450 ft. lbs of torque and get okay gas mileage while doing it.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... I don't believe you will see a v8 in it more than likely a 2.3 liter turbo as the base then the v6 as an option.

Ford currently makes two engines which outperform the v8 in truck formats ...
Depending on how you want to define "outperform" it can be easily argued that all of the other engine options, even the base 3.# NA engine can "beat" the Coyote in some metric or other.

The greatest value the V8 has is in its subjective qualities, which none of the other likely options can replace, and there are a lot of old fogies and classics enthusiasts who will buy them if one is offered (over 50's account for the majority of SUV and performance vehicle sales -- if even just 1/5 of them want a V8 that means 10% or more of Bronco sales).

Assuming a V8 would come at an upgrade/option surcharge, I see little reason not to offer it. It's not as if the entire Mustang lineup accounts for an astounding number of vehicles (usually less than 100k/yr), but there are V8s offered there when other engines are obviously capable of "outperforming" them. If Bronco sells less units than that (100k/yr) I think Ford will be rather disappointed, considering the theoretical main competitor has been selling close to 250k/yr, and even the archaic 4Runner has been selling over 100k/yr. The Lincoln brand has several models that offer multiple engines that are produced in very small quantities, and the entire model line might sell less than 10k units -- if just 10% of Bronco sales were upcharged V8's they'd be making more total profit of that than most Lincoln model lines do. Big picture, to me, it does not make sense not to offer it.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh yeah I got yeah, I use to own a 2011 Ford Raptor with the 6.2 liter BOSS motor in it. It was a gas guzzler but did not sound like the 3.5 liters pissed off bubble bee which all you are complaining about. I got an idea with you want the v8 sound find a mid 90s v8 model for around 20 grand and cut the mufflers off. I believe that would give you the sound which you desire. The 3 liter power stroke while only making 250 hp / 450 ft lbs of torque gets 26 mpg in FX4 trim mind you, now lets see any v8 do that. This is a mid size SUV based off the ranger. I honestly doubt it will have 2 full axles and half shafts under it but will be set up like the Ford Ranger. As far as the sound goes maybe Ford will make a sound pipe from the engine to the cabin and pump wonderful v8 sounds into so you all will think you have a v8 under the hood. The mustang does that and my 16 STI has one of them as well. It makes for a little spirted sound driving experience. I don't really get the love with the sound, sure my old Raptor make some cool grunting noises and it was fast but it also used a lot of gas and my Power Stroke F150 is vastly superior in every way. I enjoy getting 670 miles on a tank verses 320 if that. Even with the added filter and DEF fluid it just makes sense.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is a mid size SUV based off the ranger.
It may be semantics but with the Bronco being a all new design with the next generation Ranger using the Bronco's base I think saying the next generation Ranger is going to be based off the Bronco is more true.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh yeah I got yeah, I use to own a 2011 Ford Raptor with the 6.2 liter BOSS motor in it. It was a gas guzzler but did not sound like the 3.5 liters pissed off bubble bee which all you are complaining about. I got an idea with you want the v8 sound find a mid 90s v8 model for around 20 grand and cut the mufflers off. I believe that would give you the sound which you desire. The 3 liter power stroke while only making 250 hp / 450 ft lbs of torque gets 26 mpg in FX4 trim mind you, now lets see any v8 do that. This is a mid size SUV based off the ranger. I honestly doubt it will have 2 full axles and half shafts under it but will be set up like the Ford Ranger. As far as the sound goes maybe Ford will make a sound pipe from the engine to the cabin and pump wonderful v8 sounds into so you all will think you have a v8 under the hood. The mustang does that and my 16 STI has one of them as well. It makes for a little spirted sound driving experience. I don't really get the love with the sound, sure my old Raptor make some cool grunting noises and it was fast but it also used a lot of gas and my Power Stroke F150 is vastly superior in every way. I enjoy getting 670 miles on a tank verses 320 if that. Even with the added filter and DEF fluid it just makes sense.
upload_2019-10-28_0-3-9.gif
Sponsored