Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have done / am doing the installs myself. That's half the fun! Flip side to doing it yourself is that i'm not done yet.... still have the winch bumper to do. Targeting completion by the end of the weekend. Will share pics, including scrapes and bruises acquired along the way (none yet...).
Very impressive. It looks like you're having a ton of fun with this. I have that ole time vs. money issue...with 3 kids in travel soccer and working all the time, sometimes it's easier to just spend the extra money instead of trying to do things myself (I'm likely not as good as you at these things, anyway)...

I'm still spit on the WT vs. BL and I'd be adding all the goodies, either way. I was going to go manual as I'm used to that (see my 1985 4Runner), but I'm hearing most everyone goes auto now and whether on or off road, it's advantageous...
Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for the great info and your honesty. What does SAS do that effects passenger protection. Also, the mileage is better on the 33s...does this also lead to less noise when on the highway? I've heard different opinions on road comfort with the 33s vs. SAS...some say the 33s better, others say the improved suspension and other SAS changes actually make the ride more comfortable on the road.

I'm stuck between the BL and the WT so trying to get all my ducks lined up. Also, deciding what to do with the top is tough...go hardtop and soft top? sigh...
The sasquatch package removes the crash bars, which are metal tubing in front of and behind the front tires. Ford removes them for tire clearance, some aftermarket companies offer modified crash bars to replace them. But if Ford thinks it's just fine to sell them without them, instead of installing a modified one that would cost them about $20 I'd question how much they really do. They can be removed in a couple minutes.
How to Remove 21-22 Bronco Crash Bars - YouTube

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sasquatch package removes the crash bars, which are metal tubing in front of and behind the front tires. Ford removes them for tire clearance, some aftermarket companies offer modified crash bars to replace them. But if Ford thinks it's just fine to sell them without them, instead of installing a modified one that would cost them about $20 I'd question how much they really do. They can be removed in a couple minutes.
I'd think if you have the heavy steel bumper instead of the lighter, plastic one, that'd more than make up for the crash bar...thoughts?

Sledge

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 modā€™d Flex, ā€˜14 bmw i3, ā€˜93 modā€™d Volvo 240
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The soft is noisy at freeway speeds for sure. I drive the bronco slower than my other vehicles in order to keep the noise down. (like, only 75 now....). BUT i am absolutely enjoying the soft top, and am glad i decided to wait for a better aftermarket hardtop to be produced. Am super glad i went that way, despite the noise at speed. (not sure how much quieter the stock MIC hardtop would be - i was originally a painted metal top order, long long long ago....). But there are recent blogs about folks liking their MIC tops after adding quality sound deadening material. If i'm going to be booking on the freeway for a long time to get to a further "wilderness" i toss a sound-deadening blanket on top of my Gearshade bimini, so it sits between the bimini and the soft top. Saw a jeep owner comment on that trick. It actually makes a substantial difference. There's one on amazon that fits really well.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd think if you have the heavy steel bumper instead of the lighter, plastic one, that'd more than make up for the crash bar...thoughts?
I think the crash bars are for side impact protection along with off set front. If you take a hard direct hit nothing is going to help much.
I do like the front and rear steel bumpers though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The soft is noisy at freeway speeds for sure. I drive the bronco slower than my other vehicles in order to keep the noise down. (like, only 75 now....). BUT i am absolutely enjoying the soft top, and am glad i decided to wait for a better aftermarket hardtop to be produced. Am super glad i went that way, despite the noise at speed. (not sure how much quieter the stock MIC hardtop would be - i was originally a painted metal top order, long long long ago....). But there are recent blogs about folks liking their MIC tops after adding quality sound deadening material. If i'm going to be booking on the freeway for a long time to get to a further "wilderness" i toss a sound-deadening blanket on top of my Gearshade bimini, so it sits between the bimini and the soft top. Saw a jeep owner comment on that trick. It actually makes a substantial difference. There's one on amazon that fits really well.
The difference between the soft top and the MIC top with sound deadening headliner is night and day. I have a 4dr BB w/soft top and a 2dr WT w/MIC and the MIC with the headliner is much quieterā€¦..especially on the interstate with 60+Mph Wyoming winds.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the crash bars are for side impact protection along with off set front. If you take a hard direct hit nothing is going to help much.
I do like the front and rear steel bumpers though.
The bars protect the front occupants from impact. See how the passenger compartment integrity is maintained in this crash test. There was also a post toward the end of last year of a Badlands involved in a head on with a Ford Crown Victoria. The Crown Vic was demolished but the bronco had no intrusion into the passenger compartment. I believe Ford added the bars for a good reason. They work. Not sure about how the 35ā€™s will protect the passenger compartment w/o the bars. Check this out:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bars protect the front occupants from impact. See how the passenger compartment integrity is maintained in this crash test. There was also a post toward the end of last year of a Badlands involved in a head on with a Ford Crown Victoria. The Crown Vic was demolished but the bronco had no intrusion into the passenger compartment. I believe Ford added the bars for a good reason. They work. Not sure about how the 35ā€™s will protect the passenger compartment w/o the bars. Check this out:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yah seen that. Like I said front off setā€¦

Sponsored

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond 4-Dr Soft Manual
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

very true. My loaded BL came in just over 60k.
My manual Black Diamond soft top can't be loaded (no high/lux options), but I got rear lockers, washout, marine grade, switches, steel bumper, and swapout 33" pizza cutters for $41k. The only real difference to Badlands besides high/lux options is the front locker and swaybar, and you can put on 33" 255/80R17's if you like skinny tall tires on steel rims. We don't have rock crawling in the Northeast, so even though I originally ordered a Badlands maxed out, I downgraded to get it faster and I've been happy so far. The low tech electronics and controls are great. The vents blow hot air on my hands so don't need the heated steering wheel. I feel fortunate that supply constraints forced me into a minimalist build. It's fun to drive and I love it. #1 feature - teaching your teenager how to drive a stick...

Ford Bronco Car and Driver Review: 2021 Bronco Wildtrak Tested: The Ultimate Bronco (for Now) IMG_0787

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the great info and your honesty. What does SAS do that effects passenger protection. Also, the mileage is better on the 33s...does this also lead to less noise when on the highway? I've heard different opinions on road comfort with the 33s vs. SAS...some say the 33s better, others say the improved suspension and other SAS changes actually make the ride more comfortable on the road.

I'm stuck between the BL and the WT so trying to get all my ducks lined up. Also, deciding what to do with the top is tough...go hardtop and soft top? sigh...
I donā€™t know how the ride would be any better with 35ā€™s under most conditions except deep ruts/washboard. But I would not know because I havenā€™t driven a Sasquatch equipped Bronco. Lower unsprung weight should result in better road contact and handling but suspension engineering has come a long way in the past 10 years.
I have the MIC top and have no complaints. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either BL or WT. I just like the
Marine grade vinyl and rubber floor with drain plugs. I havenā€™t had cloth seats for over 30 years and I am pretty sure I would not like the way they hold up. The MGV has a nice feel, but as @mpeugeot mentioned, vinyl gets hot is the summer. Not sure how the MGV performs in hot climates. Some vinyl surfaces are more conducive to heat than others.

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have a nice knowledge base on the Bronco...we live in the same area...if I want to keep things simple, your thoughts on just getting the MIC with sound deadening AND the soft top for summers? Are they easy to switch or is it a pain in the butt?

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t know how the ride would be any better with 35ā€™s under most conditions except deep ruts/washboard. But I would not know because I havenā€™t driven a Sasquatch equipped Bronco. Lower unsprung weight should result in better road contact and handling but suspension engineering has come a long way in the past 10 years.
I have the MIC top and have no complaints. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either BL or WT. I just like the
Marine grade vinyl and rubber floor with drain plugs. I havenā€™t had cloth seats for over 30 years and I am pretty sure I would not like the way they hold up. The MGV has a nice feel, but as @mpeugeot mentioned, vinyl gets hot is the summer. Not sure how the MGV performs in hot climates. Some vinyl surfaces are more conducive to heat than others.
Thank you...people really seem to like the vinyl...I'm sure the leather is nice, as well. The both have heated seats but the leather has the electronic seat adjustment in more positions and the carpet....wish we could get the leather without the carpeting....
Sponsored