Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it possible to order the front and side-mirror cameras independently from dealer, and self-install, or are those parts VIN restricted?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The cameras are the easy part. The hard part is replacing the vast majority of the electronics inside the vehicle to support the cameras and all of the programming steps that probably wouldn't work since the VIN doesn't match up.

It would be prohibitively expensive to do. If you already have a Mid package Bronco it would honestly be cheaper to order a High package Bronco and trade in one Bronco for the other once it comes in.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There will be aftermarket setups that do this. They are available already for the sync 3 plug and play. They even let you view cameras in motion, give turn signal view and play video media on your standard display.

OP
OP
Gwillikers

Gwillikers

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The cameras are the easy part. The hard part is replacing the vast majority of the electronics inside the vehicle to support the cameras and all of the programming steps that probably wouldn't work since the VIN doesn't match up.

It would be prohibitively expensive to do. If you already have a Mid package Bronco it would honestly be cheaper to order a High package Bronco and trade in one Bronco for the other once it comes in.
Your reply is pretty much what I suspected the response to be...Thanks for the confirmation

Sponsored

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would rekindle this one.

I'm interested in understanding what actually goes into the differences between the mid and high package beyond the cameras and screen. I'd rather not focus on the costs but the realistic possibility of bolting these parts on if I had them. For example, if I got my hands on a destroyed bronco that had its cameras, mirrors, screen intact, what would I have to rip out to transplant into my mid package.

The everglades model is interesting because it has a large screen but otherwise a mid package. I'm kind of wondering if there are software restrictions, licensing restrictions, or simply no restrictions if you have the right hardware.

I apologize for restarting the OP's post, but I'm trying not to contribute to 5 threads for every topic.

In my specific case, I would like to achieve a forward facing trailcam, with side mirrors as a bonus.

I realize there are/will be aftermarket options, but I'm going for a Ford OEM type of approach.

Has anyone tried any of this?

Thanks

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I seem to recall when someone tried this last time the problem was with the entertainment control module not working with the bigger screen.
I believe the thread was on here. It’s been a while and don’t think there have been any updates.
I don’t remember if he tried a different module as well, that may have been where they stopped to try again later. Compatibility between those modules may mean it’s just not possible. Not to mention, even if you say price is no object, it will get extremely expensive replacing all the computers.

Sponsored

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I seem to recall when someone tried this last time the problem was with the entertainment control module not working with the bigger screen.
I believe the thread was on here. It’s been a while and don’t think there have been any updates.
I don’t remember if he tried a different module as well, that may have been where they stopped to try again later. Compatibility between those modules may mean it’s just not possible. Not to mention, even if you say price is no object, it will get extremely expensive replacing all the computers.
Yeah that's what I'd like to explore. I will keep searching for threads. Coming from an engineering background, but no automotive engineering experience, I would guess the computer hardware is similar/same with a change in camera/screen hardware and software loads. I would never replace computer modules. I would however try to reflash things or use Forscan to enable features if the underlying hardware was added to make it work. For example, if no wiring harnesses were in my bronco to make this happen, I would pivot to third party solutions.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is just the screen though, not mentioning the cameras

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As for upgrading to the larger 12" screen, I bet it will be doable without being prohibitively expensive - but it will take time for enough parts to arrive in depots / Ford Parts warehouses.

It will get even cheaper when enough Broncos hit the road that more show up in salvage yards.

As for the APIM (that's the sync module) I would think it might be possible with just adding the screen, there is even an entry in the APIM via FORSCAN where it sets the size / orientation of the screen / display.

The cameras are controlled by the BCM. I highly doubt Ford added another module JUST for the upgraded cameras.

The way to tell for sure?

Get a VIN for a Bronco equipped how you want yours to be equipped (12" screen, cameras etc). Download the AsBuilt file for the new Bronco AND your Bronco (fromt Motorcraft) then use a program (FREE) called AsBuiltExplorer and you can directly compare BOTH AsBuilt files.

This will tell you where in the BCM (Body Control Module) and other modules where settings are different based on having (or not having) the options you want to upgrade to.
Sponsored