Sponsored

Mid Options Package - too much to break?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it doesn’t seem like a good value to you, don’t get it. Others feel differently and will get it. There is no right or wrong way to feel on any option. Everybody has to balance utility and cost for themselves.
Funny thing is, Ford packages these so that you have to upsell yourself, keep moving up the trim levels..... I would , but their own decision to NOT do mid and manual.... it makes zero sense to pay that first $5000 Ford tax from Base and then NOT get Mid. Yeah, there's some stuff on Big Bend, but it aint all that until you click the rear locker , which is now effectively $5895 ....shit I'll just get a BaseSquatch at that point.
Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll agree all the modern computer/electronic features are cool, when they're new. I travel some for work, and when I rent a car, I'm amazed at all the doo-dads.

However, how long will they work? Maybe I'm an odd bird, but I keep my vehicles a LONG time. My F-150 is going on 250,000 miles, bought it new in 2002. I purposefully got a bare bones one, with no options except the limited slip differential, tow package, and CD player. Guess what broke in the first 5 years and I've still never replaced? The electronics - CD player. Never had a window or lock go out, because I bought manual roll up windows and pull up locks. Never had ANYTHING go out, but the CD player.

So for me, their is no way I'm buying a computer voice that asks if I want coffee, little glow lights for my tootsies, and a "bump and wiggle" cruise control. I may keep this Bronco 10 or 20 years, who's going to fix all that exotic stuff in a decade? Question, do the broncos have electric windows and locks?
I will say the power windows in my 2011 F150, with 109,000 miles that bakes in the Florida sun (paint is turning white) work perfectly. The CD player does, too.

My son's 2005 Ford 500 with 156,000 miles has a sun-roof and power locks and doors (and front seat) and they all work just fine.

Electronics can work for a very long time when done correctly. Heck, I've got a 1994 Playstation 1 from my days in college and it still works. The only problem is finding a TV / monitor that it can connect to.

My wife's 2017 Fusion has a TON of electronic things that she really enjoys. The only problem we've really had, besides unresponsive buttons on occasion - you hit it, nothing happens - back out, go back in and hit it and then it works kinda stuff - is the TPMS sensor. THAT is annoying and I am really curious how it will work when you air down since nearly all vehicles have them.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This sounds like the speach you get from the F&I guy at the dealership. "We just sold you on how great the truck is now I am going to sell you a warranty because it is all crap and going to break leaving you stranded in the rain at night on the interstate".

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I need to check the levels and builds again. I was getting the Big Bend so I could have lockers, 17" wheels, and the Cactus Gray paint. The next level Badlands would be nice with the skidplates, but I don't need heavy bumpers, and don't want rubber washout floors and vinyl seats (too Dry in AZ to worry about that). I'll see if the price is better with a Badlands compared to what I've optioned in the Big Bend.

On resale, I think keeping my cost in the mid $35-38K zone will attract more buyers when I want to sell it. But again, my point of not tricking it out with all the electronics is because I INTEND to keep it a very long time, and don't want stuff breaking. If in the first year I hate it, I'm sure selling a barely used bronco for $33,000 will attract a lot more buyers than asking for $48,000 or whatever the top models cost.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once you get out of Base, I absolutely agree .... all roads end at Bad Lands or Wildtrack, LOL.

But the inability to get Man/Mid throws it all out of whack.
I can even get a V6BaseSquatch, but the BB Mid upcharge is still $6500. (5k for the BB + 1500 for Mid)
That's a lot of money for heated seats and other fluff.

Since manufacturers NEVER lower prices, this is why I'd bet the Base price will increase by about $2500 to $3k, eventually. Close that $5000 gap a bit from the bottom up.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say the power windows in my 2011 F150, with 109,000 miles that bakes in the Florida sun (paint is turning white) work perfectly. The CD player does, too.

My son's 2005 Ford 500 with 156,000 miles has a sun-roof and power locks and doors (and front seat) and they all work just fine.

Electronics can work for a very long time when done correctly. Heck, I've got a 1994 Playstation 1 from my days in college and it still works. The only problem is finding a TV / monitor that it can connect to.

My wife's 2017 Fusion has a TON of electronic things that she really enjoys. The only problem we've really had, besides unresponsive buttons on occasion - you hit it, nothing happens - back out, go back in and hit it and then it works kinda stuff - is the TPMS sensor. THAT is annoying and I am really curious how it will work when you air down since nearly all vehicles have them.
and just think, people used worry about all the moving parts in them new fangled ice dispensers in 'fridgerators .... just more shit to break.

I laugh that there are old timers at work who refuse to roll down their windows in the winter because "that cheap ass plastic inside will break." (*note- we have to badge in at the gate as we drive in every day, thus the window opening in the winter comment- us yung'uns roll our windows down while a few grumpy old fuckers open their door and reach around the window.)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We've got all that stuff on the wife's '18 Mustang, and never had one problem with any. You either want them or not, but I don't think there's an argument to made that they break. Like anything else mass produced there are probably a small amount of problems. Nowadays the entire vehicle is ran by computers, so I figure what's a few more things that might help you out in an emergency situation. The only thing I turn off is the lane keeping. To dang sensitive, and always shaking the steering wheel. Disclaimer: But that's just me.

Last edited:

BroncoJones

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I realize this will be different for everyone but this is how I view things in the mid-package.

-Two-door Intelligent Access with lock and unlock functionality - I've always used the key fob with my cars but both my parents vehicles have this feature and while its not needed it is rather convenient to just touch the handle to unlock/lock the doors
-110V/150W AC power outlet - Great for laptops or charging tool batteries, I do not think you get an AC outlet without the mid-package at minimum
-ambient footwell lighting - Kinda ho-hum on this myself
-auto-dimming rear view mirror - I haven't driven a vehicle in the last 15 years that didn't have this. Why isn't this standard.
- dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control - Closing vents is fine but it doesn't work when you want ac and your passenger wants the heat on because its "freezing" outside at 74.
-heated front seats. See above

illuminated visor mirrors - Minor convince for some but should be standard
Remote Start System (automatic transmission only) - Bonus for those getting auto
Reverse Sensing System - Backup camera is federally mandated, all trims have it regardless of package. This can be useful in certain situations but camera and mirrors cover 99% of your needs.
- subscription navigation with three month trial - Andriod Auto/Apple Car play
- SYNC 4 with enhanced voice recognition - When it works sync is fine but the sync/nav system is the only thing that has failed and been replaced in my mother's Explorer. You couldn't nav, change the radio, change the AC settings, or anything else that used the screen in the center console.
- Ford Co-Pilot360™ including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking - I've seen this in action and it can turn a guaranteed deadly accident into one that is survivable for both you and other vehicles
- BLIS® with CrossTraffic Alert - This in conjunction with the reverse sensing is great for those times your are backing out of a spot between two large/tall vehicles that otherwise completely block your side view for incoming traffic. It also detects people that may unexpectedly walk out from behind a vehicle parked next to you.
- Lane-Keeping System - If you need a system to remind you stay inside the lanes you probably don't need to be driving.
- Auto High-Beam Headlamps - Agreed not needed but they work very well and trigger a good bit sooner than most drivers at night. This is more a feature for not blinding others than saving you from flipping the lights
- rear view camera with backup assist grid lines - Think of this as an "advanced" backup camera that will bend the grid lines based on the angle of the front wheels and shows you where you will end up

Now is any of that absolutely need? For me, outside of the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking and maybe BLIS, I'd say probably not. Its an expanded convenience pack. I'm going to get it on mine but I really wish many of those items were individually A la carte or broken into smaller packages like safety/climate/etc.

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Meanwhile, I just replaced the dishwasher that has been in my house for over 20 years. It still worked, just getting a little old. I bet my new one will work less than 5 years. THAT is the problem with today's tech - it's throwaway. I bet few, if any people think they're buying a bronco for the long haul. Most threads seem to be focused on the new tech, and those that chase hype get bored with tech older than 5 years. For those that need the "auto close front grills" or other tech, ask yourself - how often do you buy a new cell phone? If every 2-3 years, then yeah, better get the LUX package, or the Mid at minimum. If you only buy a new cell phone when you have to, you probably plan on keeping a new vehicle more than 5 years. And all the tech will start breaking at that point.

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Broncojones you said " -110V/150W AC power outlet - Great for laptops or charging tool batteries, I do not think you get an AC outlet without the mid-package at minimum "
Looks like you get 2 12V DC outlets and 2 USB in the Standard. I can do what I did in my old truck, get one of those cigarette light DC-to-AC inverters. It cost about $10 bucks.

Also, unless I'm misreading the packages, you get keyless entry (fob) on the Standard Pkg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also, unless I'm misreading the packages, you get keyless entry (fob) on the Standard Pkg.
Keyless entry is standard on all Broncos. The Mid Package comes with "Intelligent Access" which is just a marketing way of saying advanced keyless entry. All that means is buttons on the door handles themselves as a way to lock/unlock the car without having to press the button on the fob.

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks, after I wrote that, I saw that keyless is standard, backup cam is standard, basic cruise control standard. Electric door locks, electric windows check.
Pretty much everything I need will come in the lowest package. I see no reason to add many thousands of dollars for a bigger LCD screen and a bunch of IT/connectivity tech.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I Like the auto dimming mirrors MOSTLY if they are have the exterior mirrors dimmed also. The little toggle thing on the rear view is just fine, but having the exterior mirrors dim when needed without having to re-aim them....priceless.

Well, maybe not "$8k from Base" priceless, but I love them none the less.
There are auto-dimming side mirrors? I haven't heard of that and I've also never had the need to adjust my exterior mirrors at night.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are auto-dimming side mirrors? I haven't heard of that and I've also never had the need to adjust my exterior mirrors at night.
They have a light blue tint that activates when your auto dimming mirror activates.
Not that you use it alot, but when you get that pesky vehicle next to you in just the right spot or even behind you with it's brights on .... it's a really nice feature.

My first run in with them was on the old mans late 90's Tahoe, big honking mirrors picked up everything.

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see auto high beams on mid package In the “compare models” PDF, but I don’t see it in the build and price. Yikes.
Sponsored