Sponsored

Mid Options Package - too much to break?

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I honestly don't like cars full of tech. Not saying any new car isn't full of tech, just some have far more than others. Personally I find most of the tech stuff (specifically driver "assistance" features) useless and frankly annoying. My 18 F150 with 301A pack is about as much as I need, so a Bronco with standard pkg will do me just fine.
Am I the only one who hates dual zone CC?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I Like the auto dimming mirrors MOSTLY if they are have the exterior mirrors dimmed also. The little toggle thing on the rear view is just fine, but having the exterior mirrors dim when needed without having to re-aim them....priceless.

Well, maybe not "$8k from Base" priceless, but I love them none the less.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buying a big bend, manual. So far, I'm not seeing much in the Mid Package I need. No, it's not expensive. But it's more to break. I mean, this is an off road vehicle, do I really need:

-Two-door Intelligent Access with lock and unlock functionality - electronics break.
-110V/150W AC power outlet - this would be useful, does not opting for the package mean you get NO AC outlet?
-ambient footwell lighting - this ain't a Cadillac, and I'm not going to the show in a tux.
-auto-dimming rear view mirror - um...little flip switch on the mirror always worked for me.
- dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control - isn't that what vent shutoff valves are for?
-heated front seats. In Arizona? No.
illuminated visor mirrors - Again, not going to the opera.
Remote Start System (automatic transmission only) - Getting a manual
Reverse Sensing System - might be handy. I assume my Standard Package still has a backup camera? I can sense things fine without a radar to break.
- subscription navigation with three month trial - that you can pay for later? Will my GPS on the phone port to the standard screen?
- SYNC 4 with enhanced voice recognition - so I can tell the system to change a flat?
- Ford Co-Pilot360™ including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking - that would be good
- BLIS® with CrossTraffic Alert - that would be good
- Lane-Keeping System - that would be good (is it just me, or do all these above 3 seem to just be "adaptive cruise control?)
- Auto High-Beam Headlamps - not needed
- rear view camera with backup assist grid lines - so, no backup camera unless you get the Mid? I hope not, because I don't need any of the above.
Not expensive? 1,500 is not chump change - that is about the price of a transmission!

Even though I am 95% likely to get a Badlands, I will be sticking with the standard electronics package.

First off, my current ride (2011 F150) has almost none of the things on the Standard Package - so it will be an upgrade to what I already have.

When I drive my wife's Fusion, it has what amounts to the mid-package and of the things it has I enjoy: AC seats and auto-high beams.

The Bronco mid only comes with the auto-high beams and 1500 for that? I can use my finger just fine.

Lane-Keeping is annoying. I avoid pot holes, road debris, and sunken manhole covers and the Florida roads are twisty with constant construction. When I drive my wife's car it is constantly buzzing and asking if I want coffee.

Dual climate? AC vents still have shutters and direction changes, don't they?

Rear camera is fine. Since I don't have one, I usually forget to use my wife's. It is useful when backing into a crowded parking spot as I can get a lot closer than I normally would by "feel".

Extra lights aren't worth the cost and I can run interior LED lights if I decide later on I REALLY need it.

The Power Outlet I would want - but for 1500?

Really, it is the price. Currently, my Badlands is $48270 which is already 1595 more than I wanted to spend. No way I'm adding ANOTHER 1500 for stuff I don't really want.

And as cool as it would be to get a front camera (which I do want), 2800 pushes the truck north of 50 and that is beyond what I want to spend.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think everyone should load up with all the bells and whistles so in future i can buy more accessories for my Bronco lol ;)

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I don’t really need the mid package either, but when I read off the features to my wife, she insisted I get it primarily for the heated seats for long road trips for her back and the remote start to keep the car running with ac for a quick 5 min run into the store while the dog is in the car. She’s letting me plunk down $50k already for my dream vehicle with sas, so an extra $1500 for a happy wife/happy life seems very reasonable to me.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'll agree all the modern computer/electronic features are cool, when they're new. I travel some for work, and when I rent a car, I'm amazed at all the doo-dads.

However, how long will they work? Maybe I'm an odd bird, but I keep my vehicles a LONG time. My F-150 is going on 250,000 miles, bought it new in 2002. I purposefully got a bare bones one, with no options except the limited slip differential, tow package, and CD player. Guess what broke in the first 5 years and I've still never replaced? The electronics - CD player. Never had a window or lock go out, because I bought manual roll up windows and pull up locks. Never had ANYTHING go out, but the CD player.

So for me, their is no way I'm buying a computer voice that asks if I want coffee, little glow lights for my tootsies, and a "bump and wiggle" cruise control. I may keep this Bronco 10 or 20 years, who's going to fix all that exotic stuff in a decade? Question, do the broncos have electric windows and locks?

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I honestly don't like cars full of tech. Not saying any new car isn't full of tech, just some have far more than others. Personally I find most of the tech stuff (specifically driver "assistance" features) useless and frankly annoying. My 18 F150 with 301A pack is about as much as I need, so a Bronco with standard pkg will do me just fine.
I’m with you guys on the dual CC. I have a 2013 F-350 with CC and a 2014 E-250 without it. In my truck with CC it either runs colder than I want and I’m constantly messing with the temp or in the winter it heats up to your set point then starts blowing cooler air and gets uncomfortable again. It always seems like I’m less than comfortable no matter where I set it. With my van that does not have CC I can set it on full heat or AC then once it gets comfortable I can back the temp off and still get the desired hot or cold feel that I want without it fluctuating.
Only thing I wish I could get is heated seats, but I’ll take the MT over heated seats so no Mid pkg for me. If Ford would allow the mid with the MT on the BD I would probably get it though

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
B & P still showing heated front seats with sandstone cloth seat option for Big Bend - but I better not post this anymore in case Ford is watching ?

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure it was included in the initial list... isn't keyless entry and start a mid option as well? That would convert this from a me-only car to something GF will use on bad weather days. Her black hole purse eats keys. The ability to walk up to car, get in and drive off without 5 mins of digging is a big deal for her.

lonediver2002

Big Bend
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Buying a big bend, manual. So far, I'm not seeing much in the Mid Package I need. No, it's not expensive. But it's more to break. I mean, this is an off road vehicle, do I really need:

-Two-door Intelligent Access with lock and unlock functionality - electronics break.
-110V/150W AC power outlet - this would be useful, does not opting for the package mean you get NO AC outlet?
-ambient footwell lighting - this ain't a Cadillac, and I'm not going to the show in a tux.
-auto-dimming rear view mirror - um...little flip switch on the mirror always worked for me.
- dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control - isn't that what vent shutoff valves are for?
-heated front seats. In Arizona? No.
illuminated visor mirrors - Again, not going to the opera.
Remote Start System (automatic transmission only) - Getting a manual
Reverse Sensing System - might be handy. I assume my Standard Package still has a backup camera? I can sense things fine without a radar to break.
- subscription navigation with three month trial - that you can pay for later? Will my GPS on the phone port to the standard screen?
- SYNC 4 with enhanced voice recognition - so I can tell the system to change a flat?
- Ford Co-Pilot360™ including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking - that would be good
- BLIS® with CrossTraffic Alert - that would be good
- Lane-Keeping System - that would be good (is it just me, or do all these above 3 seem to just be "adaptive cruise control?)
- Auto High-Beam Headlamps - not needed
- rear view camera with backup assist grid lines - so, no backup camera unless you get the Mid? I hope not, because I don't need any of the above.
i am going with the same, do not need many of these items. just the basics please.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have fun trying to resell it if it ever comes time.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

No, but fortunately, you have at least three options.
  1. Don’t purchase the mid option.
  2. Set the HVAC on manual.
  3. Don’t turn on the HVAC and use the windows and removable tops along with appropriate clothing choices to control your comfort level.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can only get the manual with the mid on Badlands. You solved your own problem.

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it doesn’t seem like a good value to you, don’t get it. Others feel differently and will get it. There is no right or wrong way to feel on any option. Everybody has to balance utility and cost for themselves.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, but fortunately, you have at least three options.
  1. Don’t purchase the mid option.
  2. Set the HVAC on manual.
  3. Don’t turn on the HVAC and use the windows and removable tops along with appropriate clothing choices to control your comfort level.
Option 3 seems appealing actually:D I enjoy having the windows down even if it’s below 10 degrees (Celsius). But anyway not going mid so it won’t be an issue for me
Sponsored