Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure why you would need bass blockers on the front but not the rear. It really comes down to the speaker. The smaller speakers can't properly reproduce low bass. If it's the same as the front then yes it needs the same treatment(bass blockers) as the front
There is a difference in the front and back. In the front the dash speakers are wired in series with the kick panel speakers. So the thinking is, let the kick panel speakers play the low frequency and with the bass blockers on the dash speakers free them up to be more efficient and play only higher frequencies.
Sponsored

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They are NOT wired in series. I checked myself.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They are in parallel, the low pass capacitor will only impact the 4” midrange on the dash. There are no 4” midrange speakers that are going to play with low distortion or decent volume below 250-300 Hz, the crossover, or “bass blocker” should ideally be on all of the 4” speakers.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Electronics is not my area of expertise so I will defer to others on the 'wired in series' part. I make that statement based on review of the wiring diagram seen here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-6-speaker-wiring-diagram.20297/

I might be incorrectly interpreting it but it looks like the wiring for the front speakers comes 'through' the kick panel speakers.

Also, the factory speakers come with bass blockers installed on all 4" speakers front and back, so based on that it would make sense to use them.

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Electronics is not my area of expertise so I will defer to others on the 'wired in series' part. I make that statement based on review of the wiring diagram seen here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-6-speaker-wiring-diagram.20297/

I might be incorrectly interpreting it but it looks like the wiring for the front speakers comes 'through' the kick panel speakers.

Also, the factory speakers come with bass blockers installed on all 4" speakers front and back, so based on that it would make sense to use them.

I thought that too. But while I was in there, I checked. It's kinda a wierd way to wire up speakers the way Ford did. Probably done that way to simplify the build process. The 6.5 kick speaker makes the connection of the wires to the 4" dash speakers. I ohmed the connections out. The wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. For instance, it doesn't specify the positive wire going to the dash from the 6.5 connection. It also doesn't specify if they are wired in parallel or series. So as to make sure I had things right, I checked them.

The 4" dash speakers have a 400hz bass blocker on them. It's a 100uf capacitor. The factory speakers can't handle much in the way of bass. So this is probably perfect for them. Aftermarket speakers can handle much more frequencies. Most people seem to be going the route of 300hz bass blockers. And while that's not a terrible choice by any means. I think that is because that's the most common product on the market. For instance, using a hp crossover at the amp level, amps don't cross the highs at 300hz. So those are only for small speakers. I used the Alpine S-40's and found they sounded the best to me with 150hz bass blockers. I tested with both 300/150. Played a ton of different music. The Alpine's handled everything I threw at them unless you got really heavy on the bass. But I am a little more technical than most people might be.

Sponsored

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Series vs parallel is a specific electrical circuit distinction. If they were in series and you unplugged the dash speakers the kick panels would stop working. Also, it would present an 8 ohm load to the head unit. They are wired in parallel and present a resistance of 2 ohms to the head unit (in theory as speakers present a reactive load that varies upon frequency).

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rear speakers came in today. Installed one first to hear the sound difference. The new kicker brand sounds better, just like in the front.

But the rears are still much lower volume, than the front. I have done the forscan change to get the full power to the back. Any suggestions?

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rear speakers came in today. Installed one first to hear the sound difference. The new kicker brand sounds better, just like in the front.

But the rears are still much lower volume, than the front. I have done the forscan change to get the full power to the back. Any suggestions?

On the 22my I have read there are two Forscan changes that are needed. I had only tried the 1 change and could never get it to function like I wanted. Did you make both changes?

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On the 22my I have read there are two Forscan changes that are needed. I had only tried the 1 change and could never get it to function like I wanted. Did you make both changes?
I did the 3800 change like in the video from the first post. What is the other change? Maybe the 22's just don't work yet for full rears?

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome, thanks!

Will adjusting the bass and treble in sync still work?

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have kickers in front and back, both with bass blockers. The front sound is MUCH louder when listening to music and using the fade to isolate the front and back. And idea why? Changes have been made.
Ford Bronco Inexpensive yet impactful speaker upgrade plus FORScan mod sound.PNG

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am talking about the rears. The extra plug just seemed weird to me, but probably there for like you said. I already did the front, with kickers and they sound much better. Used the bass blockers on them.

I plan to install the kicker sub on the swing gate. Thanks for the reply.
I did the forescan change as well after replacing rear pods with kickers without bass blockers. I didnt notice any change at all. Maybe if you graph it out there is but to my naked ear which is the bottom line I didnt notice any audible difference. They sound better then the stock crap ones but not a wow factor. Sitting in the front I dont think I even notice the rears. Maybe the rear seat passengers hear a difference. I added a rear amp/sub and changed out all speakers. Sounds really really good over all. I just dont believe the forescan change did anything at all.

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rear passengers think anything is too loud. The speakers are literally right by their heads. So understandable.
Sponsored