Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might be a dumb question but wouldn’t this be better if the opening faced the back? I mean nothing is sealed so you won’t get any better fording depth but facing the back should allow cleaner air right?
Correct. We're not getting ram air benefits here and there is no waterproof seal. So this is only helpful in dusty conditions which means It needs to be faced aft to reduce dust intake.

I'll also add that the 4Runner 'sneak peak' of their snorkel was nearly six months ago and is still not for sale. So we may be waiting a long time for this anyway.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this actually add fording depth to the vehicle or is it like gm’s for the bison and is only to relocate for dust? And if just for dust why wouldn’t we run a separator which would work better?

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this actually add fording depth to the vehicle or is it like gm’s for the bison and is only to relocate for dust? And if just for dust why wouldn’t we run a separator which would work better?
Cannot add fording depth. That's limited by 1) the alternator location depending on your engine and 2) the airbox is not water sealed.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not a particular separator then? Cheaper and way more efficient.

Sponsored

Rjhoefar

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My badlands has somewhat of a water diversion on the intake already plus the flap on the inlet of the air box. Should handle a splash around hood level, wouldn't want anything more than that!

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know about the dirt roads you all drive but unless I’m less than 20’ behind a vehicle a snorkel will do nothing to limit the amount of dust that enters the air intake. A dust cloud behind a vehicle quickly exceeds the height of the following vehicle while the dust from my own vehicle doesn’t go up in front of the grill so I fail to see the benefit and I drive 1,000’s of miles each year on dirt roads.

Maybe there’s a benefit if you’re constantly slowly following other vehicles while wheeling in a group but if that’s the case a new $30 air cleaner after the trip seems more economical.

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What brand are they? Are they 35’s?
Those appear to be nitto ridge grapplers in a 35x12.5R17. I have a set on my raptor. they are OK except in rain and snow. Once the roads are wet goodbye traction.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This might be a dumb question but wouldn’t this be better if the opening faced the back? I mean nothing is sealed so you won’t get any better fording depth but facing the back should allow cleaner air right?
Rather, no air. Once you build some speed, you'll have a vacuum behind the intake, which would mean no air getting in. The filter will help isolate most of the dirt going in.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nothing says "I'm just putting stuff on my vehicle because I think it looks cool" like a snorkel. There's a Wrangler Sport running around my town with a snorkel and I GUARANTEE it hasn't ever been in a situation where it was needed.
I'm thinking of getting it and just taping it on because I don't want to cut a hole into my fenders.
If I ever find fiberglass fenders I like, then I might cut a hole in those.
Meanwhile, it'd really be just for looks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm no expert, but I don't see how air gets by those 3, 90 degree bends very well. Does this come with under hood routing kit?
You'll have to cut a hole in the fender and route the air to the filter.
My biggest concern is if the alternator, as many have come to realize isn't ideally located.

FowlBronco77

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Explorer, Bronco Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Nothing says "I'm just putting stuff on my vehicle because I think it looks cool" like a snorkel. There's a Wrangler Sport running around my town with a snorkel and I GUARANTEE it hasn't ever been in a situation where it was needed.
I will be getting the everglades and only put it in actual use once. But it's gonna be completely different than anything else around here. And, I like how the stock one looks. This one isn't bad either.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rather, no air. Once you build some speed, you'll have a vacuum behind the intake, which would mean no air getting in. The filter will help isolate most of the dirt going in.
Wellllll, kinda. An engine is effectively a high powered air pump that would easily overcome the lower pressure behind an intake like this at road speeds.
I don’t know about the dirt roads you all drive but unless I’m less than 20’ behind a vehicle a snorkel will do nothing to limit the amount of dust that enters the air intake. A dust cloud behind a vehicle quickly exceeds the height of the following vehicle while the dust from my own vehicle doesn’t go up in front of the grill so I fail to see the benefit and I drive 1,000’s of miles each year on dirt roads.

Maybe there’s a benefit if you’re constantly slowly following other vehicles while wheeling in a group but if that’s the case a new $30 air cleaner after the trip seems more economical.
This is a fair point, but not all airborne particles are the same size. Heavier particle will sink faster and snorkels like this help with those that dont exceed the snorkel height. These work well in sandy dune environments and talc dust too.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not a particular separator then? Cheaper and way more efficient.
Will it look as cool as a snorkel when you have one tire hiked "all the way up" on the curb at the local cars and coffee?

To be perfectly clear, this "mod" has not a damn thing to do with performance in any manner.

Fucking dust snorkel ... :rolleyes: 😂🤣

Probably be better off with a foam prefilter instead of trying to make your rig breathe through a "silly straw".

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Sponsored