Sponsored

Has Ford been holding completed rigs to pad CY23 sales figures?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There's currently a bunch of fully built Broncos that were completed in late November/early December that have been sitting at MAP for 30+ days and are just now getting loaded onto rail cars.

Again, these are 100% completed rigs. No chip holds, active modules.

The main reason I can think of for Ford to sit on built rigs is that they hit Q4 '22 sales targets and are manipulating deliveries, dealership allocations and sales figures for stock manipulation. Yes, yes, I get it that Ford's stock performance has been horrific, but they have proven time and again with Bronco that the end-user is not the concern.

Curious as to other people's takes on the matter.
Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you are saying they are wanting to artificially inflate the 1st quarter of '23 numbers.

Business leaders make their decisions based off of the numbers; not far fetched at all. Although, it being a transportation worker holiday season slowdown would be the simpler answer.

WoolyBugger

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline / 2dr. Base 7 spd. EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's currently a bunch of fully built Broncos that were completed in late November/early December that have been sitting at MAP for 30+ days and are just now getting loaded onto rail cars.

The main reason I can think of for Ford to sit on built rigs is that they hit Q4 '22 sales targets and are manipulating deliveries, dealership allocations and sales figures for stock manipulation. Yes, yes, I get it that Ford's stock performance has been horrific, but they have proven time and again with Bronco that the end-user is not the concern.

Very Likely

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My assumption was the opposite. That they would shove those out to the dealers ASAP to bolster the CY22 numbers. Man, was I wrong.

What I really think happened was a bunch got built and had some component missing and they all sat for a while waiting the part, then sat longer waiting to get on a train.

My theory is that if you get built clean they roll off the assembly line and onto a train. If they don't they get parked and addressed when they get around to it.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I can say is the dealership where my Bronco was purchased has four new Broncos for sale with their standard 5K ADM, and one used Bronco. Their surplus lot is also at about a 70% capacity with trucks, Mustangs , Sports ,Explorers and Escapes. They are a large well established dealer.

Evans67bro

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 67Bronco,2022 BD,2023 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anything is possible but I agree with above most car dealers and manufacturers do what ever they can to boost year end sales. I know transportation was a nightmare in late December and is just now starting to get better.

But the entire bronco order, build , and delivery process is a modern mystery that our primitive minds can not understand.

Sponsored

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I think Ford lost track of where around The D they stashed them.

Pretty sure they had to cruise around in somebodies Bronco and keep pressing all the key fobs to locate the misplaced Broncos.

Whoever receives their Bronco with over a hundred miles on the odo is most likely one of the rides they used for the cruise 'round town.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My truck is one of those rigs

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whewā€¦ weā€™re getting tin foil hat now.

In my opinion, no.

Decemberā€”and Q4 sales in generalā€”are the most important time of the year for automotive sales. December is typically when new model year vehicles go on sale, and December sales set the trend for the entire year. Poor sales performance of new model year vehicles could indicate that model isnā€™t a hit, or perhaps the competition have caught up, or perhaps they are having production issues. Analysts and investors are looking at that data to make their investment decisions, and if they donā€™t like what they seeā€¦ they may pull back.

It doesnā€™t make sense in my mind to sacrifice the most important month of the year, to try to boost Q1 sales.
Nope, it's my hat and I'm not sharing - you can fashion your own. If you need materials and instructions PM me and I can send you some.

I agree with your thinking, but.

More and more vehicles are being announced out of phase with the historical new car releases. Gone are the days when new models arrive at dealers only in November/December.

Japanese automotive manufactures year end is at the end of March, so actually the most important quarter for them is the 1st. So December sales may not be as important across the industry as it once was.

Investors and analysts make determinations of stock value continuously, it's not as if they decide in December where to invest for the remainder of the year.

I tend to believe that the simple answer is also the most likely. Reduced transportation capacity, the holidays, and increased interest rates are in my opinion a more likely causes responsible for slower shipments. Unlike the Merc, BMW, Audi, and Chevy commercials- most people aren't buying their spouses a vehicle for Christmas.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd agree with what you are saying. If sales start to slow I bet reservation holders magically get their Broncos too. Its all part of the plan.