Sponsored

Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint?

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve had my Bronco for all of 4 days now, 70 total miles, and I have 3 rock chips already on the hood. Just basic driving on normal streets in my town, probably haven’t gone over 50-55mph yet. It’s a race red color, I heard perhaps those can chip easier than some other colors but still, very frustrating! I am going to install the hood deflector soon (see pic of me holding it up) which will cover two of the rock chips.

How do you all repair small rock chips in the paint? Touch up paint, clear coat, let it dry then buff it out? Any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!
Ford Bronco Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint? 8483CCF0-0087-4644-8F19-915CFB0D3909
Ford Bronco Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint? 553787B5-CFF1-41F1-9A1D-3AA6261F543A
Sponsored

Last edited:

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I installed AVS Aeroskin.
But I also got a nice chip on the fender near the grill.
Ford Bronco Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint? 1679873800177

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn’t think I did, but I’ll try to be more mindful of it now.
From my experience, I leave a lot of room between vehicles. People can hate on me all they want. I've replaced too many windshields to count over the past 20 years with my Jeep.

You'll figure out the right distance - hopefully sooner than later.

OP
OP
TTUHoopsFans

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From my experience, I leave a lot of room between vehicles. People can hate on me all they want. I've replaced too many windshields to count over the past 20 years with my Jeep.

You'll figure out the right distance - hopefully sooner than later.
Yeo, definitely tough when people are on your ass. Also I’m breaking it in, not trying to accelerate or brake too quickly.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint? 1679873800177
This is a damn near necessity, I had one waiting for my Bronco when I took delivery. You can tell the front edge was going to be a rock magnet.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn't anyone make one that has a lip that sticks up. I had one like this before on my suburban. Didn't help at all. Also why isn't the outside of the hood covered?

Sponsored

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My cracked windshield and paint chips have all been thrown at me from beyond the center median from oncoming traffic. I keep a long follow distance but it wont save you from these random encounters

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My cracked windshield and paint chips have all been thrown at me from beyond the center median from oncoming traffic. I keep a long follow distance but it wont save you from these random encounters
Yep, one of the reasons to minimize the time you drive in the outer passing lane. Can't stop the random encounter, but you can minimize the opportunity for the encounter to occur.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve had my Bronco for all of 4 days now, 70 total miles, and I have 3 rock chips already on the hood. Just basic driving on normal streets in my town, probably haven’t gone over 50-55mph yet. It’s a race red color, I heard perhaps those can chip easier than some other colors but still, very frustrating! I am going to install the hood deflector soon (see pic of me holding it up) which will cover two of the rock chips.

How do you all repair small rock chips in the paint? Touch up paint, clear coat, let it dry then buff it out? Any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!
Dr colorchip will make it look like new then I would consider doing PPF just on hood and front fenders/a pillars. It really helps!

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't really noticed any rock chips on my hood in 8000 miles. I have a few on the sides from gravel roads from before I put on the mud flaps, though.

I did manage to get this one rock chips from a truck heading the other direction on a 2-lane mountain highway.
RCJJwOm.jpg
Sponsored